Windows 10: 20H2 Desktop refreshing with explorer

Discus and support 20H2 Desktop refreshing with explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had a file on my desktop and I renamed it. I then restarted file explorer and it moves the renamed file and adds a generic looking shortcut. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rdwray, Nov 8, 2020.

1. rdwray Win User

20H2 Desktop refreshing with explorer

I had a file on my desktop and I renamed it. I then restarted file explorer and it moves the renamed file and adds a generic looking shortcut. I restarted explorer again and it shows the Microsoft Edge icon on the shortcut which I had deleted a couple of days ago and restarted explorer. This 2004/20H2 is a product of amateurs.

:)

rdwray, Nov 8, 2020
  2. Try3 Win User

Windows Explorer refuses to refresh Explorer

Masterchef,

I have had this problem and so have lots of other people. None of the suggested solutions I found on the internet had anything other than a temporary effect. The problem eventually went away of its own accord but still rears its ugly head from time to time. I only kept a few links on the subject -
    Desktop or Explorer does not refresh automatically in Windows
    Windows Explorer doesn't refresh by itself - Microsoft Community
    windows file list does not auto refresh-update - Microsoft Answers [Windows 7]
    Windows Explorer doesn't refresh when moving-deleting - TechNet [Windows 7]

When the problem reappears, I restart the computer. If that does not resolve matters then I accept the situation and don't waste my time chasing non-solutions. You might wish to consider adopting the same approach.

All the best,
    Denis

Try3, Nov 8, 2020
  3. Try3 Win User
    Desktop

Margrave,

If the problem symptom returns [Desktop showing the correct contents when looked at in File explorer but not when looking at the Desktop itself], right-click on an empty area of the Desktop and select Refresh.

Many people have found that their Desktop's are not refreshing automatically and are forced to take this step. I searched & searched for a permanent solution but every suggestion I found either had no effect or had only a limited-duration effect.

Denis

Try3, Nov 8, 2020
  4. Paddy Win User

Automatic refresh doesn't work in File Explorer, Desktop, Recycle etc.

Same in the safe mode, no changes...

I have tried pretty much all those suggestions from various sites, but none of them worked for me.
    What I have seems to be a major issue, they even call it WEDR bug.
    The only thing that slightly changed recently... sometimes, a few times I managed to get automatic refresh for the Desktop, if I for example do the right click and create a new folder, it does create instantly and is visible straight away.... hoewever this never happens in Windows Explorer... I think I once got a file in C: to be processed automatically but thats it... and never had ANY automatic refresh for any of the folders and files on external drives.

Paddy, Nov 8, 2020
Thema:

1. 20H2 Desktop refreshing with explorer - Similar Threads - 20H2 Desktop refreshing

2. Right clicking in my desktop or file explorer will refresh the desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right clicking in my desktop or file explorer will refresh the desktop: I've had this problem twice now, the last problem occurred around 2 months ago and now it happened again. I would assume this is caused by the updates, and it appeared again. Tried the same solution I tried last time but it didn't work this time system restore. I restored at...
  3. Right clicking in my desktop or file explorer will refresh the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right clicking in my desktop or file explorer will refresh the desktop: I've had this problem twice now, the last problem occurred around 2 months ago and now it happened again. I would assume this is caused by the updates, and it appeared again. Tried the same solution I tried last time but it didn't work this time system restore. I restored at...
  4. Windows File Explorer and Desktop isn't refreshing automatically.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer and Desktop isn't refreshing automatically.: Ive had this issue for a couple weeks now and wanted to help others since this is really frustrating.I found the solution for it in a random youtube video comment about this topic.UNPIN ANY NETWORK FOLDER from your Explorer and it will work again. Only fix which will persist....
  5. Desktop refreshing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop refreshing: So, i updates my PC to the latest windows 11 preview update today and when i log in to my PC it just kind of refreshes like 5 times until it crashes and restarts. To add to that sometimes when i try to log into my PC it doesn't log in, what i mean by this is that i put in my...
  6. Desktop refreshing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop refreshing: So, i updates my PC to the latest windows 11 preview update today and when i log in to my PC it just kind of refreshes like 5 times until it crashes and restarts. To add to that sometimes when i try to log into my PC it doesn't log in, what i mean by this is that i put in my...
  7. Desktop refresh

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop refresh: When I delete a file from the Desktop and it goes to the Recycle Bin and I empty the Recycle Bin, the file shows back up on the desktop with 0 bytes and when I try to delete it again, it says the file can't be found and then I have to press F5 for it to go away....
  8. Windows 10 20H2 Update Causing Explorer to Refresh Every Minute

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 20H2 Update Causing Explorer to Refresh Every Minute: I have two separate computers that were recently updated to Windows 10 20H2. Since then, Windows Explorer is refreshing every minute - it is not closing any windows, or moving things around on the Task Bar or on the Desktop, but they both are getting refreshed, resulting in...
  9. Windows explorer always refreshing (and no, it is not related to desktop settings)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows explorer always refreshing (and no, it is not related to desktop settings): My windows explorer started to behave strangely after I started using a new USB external drive, but this is now a permanent issue no matter if that drive is connected or not. What happens is that the explorer refreshes every 2 seconds or so, which means I cannot scroll...
  10. Desktop and Explorer Not Automatically Refreshing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop and Explorer Not Automatically Refreshing: Hello, My computer (with Windows 10 Home) has been working fine until just few minutes ago when the desktop and explorer stopped automatically refreshing. What this means is that when I create a new folder, it doesn't show up until I manually refresh. When I delete a file,...