Windows 10: 20H2 Desktop refreshing with explorer

Discus and support 20H2 Desktop refreshing with explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had a file on my desktop and I renamed it. I then restarted file explorer and it moves the renamed file and adds a generic looking shortcut. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rdwray, Nov 8, 2020.

1. rdwray Win User

20H2 Desktop refreshing with explorer

I had a file on my desktop and I renamed it. I then restarted file explorer and it moves the renamed file and adds a generic looking shortcut. I restarted explorer again and it shows the Microsoft Edge icon on the shortcut which I had deleted a couple of days ago and restarted explorer. This 2004/20H2 is a product of amateurs.

:)

rdwray, Nov 8, 2020
  2. Try3 Win User

Windows Explorer refuses to refresh Explorer

Masterchef,

I have had this problem and so have lots of other people. None of the suggested solutions I found on the internet had anything other than a temporary effect. The problem eventually went away of its own accord but still rears its ugly head from time to time. I only kept a few links on the subject -
    Desktop or Explorer does not refresh automatically in Windows
    Windows Explorer doesn't refresh by itself - Microsoft Community
    windows file list does not auto refresh-update - Microsoft Answers [Windows 7]
    Windows Explorer doesn't refresh when moving-deleting - TechNet [Windows 7]

When the problem reappears, I restart the computer. If that does not resolve matters then I accept the situation and don't waste my time chasing non-solutions. You might wish to consider adopting the same approach.

All the best,
    Denis

Try3, Nov 8, 2020
  3. Try3 Win User
    Desktop

Margrave,

If the problem symptom returns [Desktop showing the correct contents when looked at in File explorer but not when looking at the Desktop itself], right-click on an empty area of the Desktop and select Refresh.

Many people have found that their Desktop's are not refreshing automatically and are forced to take this step. I searched & searched for a permanent solution but every suggestion I found either had no effect or had only a limited-duration effect.

Denis

Try3, Nov 8, 2020
  4. Paddy Win User

Automatic refresh doesn't work in File Explorer, Desktop, Recycle etc.

Same in the safe mode, no changes...

I have tried pretty much all those suggestions from various sites, but none of them worked for me.
    What I have seems to be a major issue, they even call it WEDR bug.
    The only thing that slightly changed recently... sometimes, a few times I managed to get automatic refresh for the Desktop, if I for example do the right click and create a new folder, it does create instantly and is visible straight away.... hoewever this never happens in Windows Explorer... I think I once got a file in C: to be processed automatically but thats it... and never had ANY automatic refresh for any of the folders and files on external drives.

Paddy, Nov 8, 2020
Thema:

1. 20H2 Desktop refreshing with explorer - Similar Threads - 20H2 Desktop refreshing

2. Explorer refresh bug

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer refresh bug: Hello, I am having a problem with explorer refresh when creating folders or copying files from between directories after installing NFS Client feature in Windows 10 Pro edition. This problem I had before in my old computer last year but I assumed because the old computer...
  3. Desktop Keeps Refreshing

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Keeps Refreshing: Hello whenever i open a folder my dekstop / taskbar refreshes.Any ways to fix this ? It's clean install Windows 10 2004version Things I've tried but to no avail SFC / Dism / Chkdsk Disabling Windows Error Reporting service (some article said it was causing this) Disabling...
  4. Desktop constantly refreshing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop constantly refreshing: My Windows 10 computer refreshes every 15 or so seconds. When I try to open my Control Panel or File Explorer, they close during every refresh, so every solution involving the two are completely impossible. My computer has been doing this for a few days and I've done...
  5. Windows explorer not refreshing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows explorer not refreshing: Hello,Windows explorer not refreshing. In folders where video files are, there were thumbnails (small picture of the video clip). Now there are only medium icons with "mp4" text inside.Once when I opened such a folder, there was a yellow progress bar running at the upper side...
  6. Windows explorer always refreshing (and no, it is not related to desktop settings)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows explorer always refreshing (and no, it is not related to desktop settings): My windows explorer started to behave strangely after I started using a new USB external drive, but this is now a permanent issue no matter if that drive is connected or not. What happens is that the explorer refreshes every 2 seconds or so, which means I cannot scroll...
  7. Desktop and Explorer Not Automatically Refreshing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop and Explorer Not Automatically Refreshing: Hello, My computer (with Windows 10 Home) has been working fine until just few minutes ago when the desktop and explorer stopped automatically refreshing. What this means is that when I create a new folder, it doesn't show up until I manually refresh. When I delete a file,...
  8. Windows Explorer refuses to refresh Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer refuses to refresh Explorer: Ever since upgrading to 1709, I've noticed that Windows Explorer is refusing to automatically refresh files and folders when a change is made. For example, if I download a file and then delete that file, Explorer prompts if I want to delete the file. I press yes and yet the...
  9. Desktop Taskbar Refresh

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Taskbar Refresh: Having just upgraded to Windows 10 from W 7. My problem is that the Desktop and the Task Bar frequently refreshes. This results in any work I am doing on the Desktop is cancelled. Can anybody please help. Thanks in anticipation 54757
  10. Desktop constantly refreshing

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop constantly refreshing: Hi I have win 10 and my laptop is Lenovo ideapad Y700 and it's 2 months since I've bought it. 2 weeks ago after a windows update my desktop kept refreshing every 2 seconds. A system restore have fixed the problem several times, but today the system restore fails and the...