Windows 10: 20H2. How to properly disable Windows Updates? Sleep broken

Discus and support 20H2. How to properly disable Windows Updates? Sleep broken in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; 20H2 has aggressive windows update behavior which prevents the pc from going to sleep automatically. According to google, whenever there is a pending... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by link626, Jan 26, 2021.

1. link626 Win User

20H2. How to properly disable Windows Updates? Sleep broken

20H2 has aggressive windows update behavior which prevents the pc from going to sleep automatically.

According to google, whenever there is a pending update, it disables sleep. My pc is set to sleep after 20 minutes idle, but it will run the whole day because of the windows update bug.

I tried to disable windows update using a method which worked in 1909- by setting Windows update service to logon as regular user without privileges.
    This broke windows updates so that it couldn't phone home.

Now, in 20h2, the aggressive update medic will revert Windows Updates logon back to SYSTEM, undoing any workaround you used.

Is there a proper way to shut down windows updates and preventing it from fixing itself?

I want to run updates manually on my own schedule, and keep sleep mode working.

:)

link626, Jan 26, 2021
  2. David Haz Win User

After Windows 10 Anniversary Update Computer Not Sleeping

Hello.

Does disabling the HID-Complaint Touch Screen driver resolves the issue? If yes, we suggest that you disable it and see if your device go into Sleep mode after a period of inactivity.

We also suggest to check if the settings of the Power Options of your device are set so that the device will go into Sleep mode after a period of time. You may follow the steps below to check is Sleep mode is enabled on your device:

• Press the Windows button + X, then click on
      Power Options.
    • Click Change when the computer
      sleeps.
    • Change the settings to your preferred settings.

Keep us updated on the results.

Regards.

David Haz, Jan 26, 2021
  3. Windows 20H2 update seems to have broken Windows Hello Face Recognition

With the recent update to Windows 20H2 (version 19042.572), the Windows Hello no longer works with the Logitech BRIO 4K camera. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, disabled and re-enabled Windows Hello. The BRIO works fine with Teams, Skype,
    Windows Camera, Logitech Capture, and Logitech Camera Settings. The problem ONLY occurs with Windows Hello. It had worked fine for years prior to the 20H2 update.

Also, Windows Hello works fine with the fine with PIN and with my fingerprint scanner. Only facial recognition is now broken.

So BRIO works with apps other than Hello and Hello works fine with everything but facial recognition via the BRIO 4K, but the combination of BRIO + Windows Hello broke with the latest Windows update.

Is this working for anyone with the same configuration?

The error message Windows Hello gives is, "Sorry something went wrong. Camera is currently in use by another app. Close the app and try again." But nothing else is using the camera (proven by the fact that all the apps listed above will launch and use
    the camera just fine).

One other note, which may be helpful diagnostically: when Hello is trying to scan for my face, the red light on the BRIO does flash for several seconds as if it's working, but no picture ever comes through. There is obviously at least some successful communication
    between Hello and the BRIO.

I also tried plugging the BRIO both directly into different USB ports on the computer and into various hubs. Always got exactly the same results.

Any suggestions? Do we need to wait for a patch from MS to fix this defect in 20H2?

Thanks,
    Colin

GraniteStateColin, Jan 26, 2021
  4. 20H2. How to properly disable Windows Updates? Sleep broken

Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

I agree 8 is awful! It's not for me though... I replaced a broken screen in a Win 8 laptop that was given to me and I am going to give it for free to someone that can't afford one so they can do homework at home. Yes I took it from 8 to 8.1 back on 10/09/2014. This is what I posted there...

"Great post! I found a similar one. I would like to point out that you may want to edit your OP...

1. Step 1 should read to disable AUTOMATIC updates, not disable manual updates.

2. KB2871398 should really read KB2871389

I would like to say that KB2917499 may also be needed as it was in my case. I also had to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter after installing those 2 updates. After these steps I was able to begin my 8.1 download from the Microsoft store. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but I also went into the Bios and disabled "Secure Boot."

It was a helpful post. Thanks!

BlackHawk1, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

20H2. How to properly disable Windows Updates? Sleep broken

1. 20H2. How to properly disable Windows Updates? Sleep broken - Similar Threads - 20H2 properly disable

2. Windows Update disables Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update disables Sleep Mode: Windows 10 Home Version 22H2I scheduled a Windows Updates 3 days ago. It is now the day before the update is scheduled to run. All day today when I try to enter Sleep Mode, it doesn't "take." Is this a bug? or working as designed?Thanks for your help.SweetTasha...
  3. Feature Update 20H2 - Secure Channel Broken

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Feature Update 20H2 - Secure Channel Broken: Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out here? I have a small home network, comprised of 6PCs that are members of a Windows Domain. I have 2 Domain Controllers running Server 2016. Since installing Feature Update 20H2 on one of my machines I've been seeing errors at logon...
  4. Headset Not Working Properly After Update 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Headset Not Working Properly After Update 20H2: Hello! My headset was working perfectly before the update, and immediately after the update the sound became very echoey and bass boosted and almost like it’s underwater. My mic also stopped working. The inputs and outputs in discord stayed all the same, but my voice was only...
  5. Windows update disables sleep

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update disables sleep: After recent Windows update on 12Mar21, my computer would no longer go to sleep. To fix the problem, I needed to Stop Windows Update service, then immediately Start Windows Update service again from the Services app Restart service did not work. After doing these 2 steps,...
  6. Sleep problem with Win10 20H2 update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep problem with Win10 20H2 update: I have a relatively new Lenovo 330S which is working perfectly on Win10 1909. If I update to 20H2 I've tried twice on entering sleep, the screen blanks, the power light stays on and the laptop freezes - the only way to recover it is to hold the power button down and then...
  7. Windows Mail not working properly since 20H2 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Mail not working properly since 20H2 update: I am running Windows 10 Home 20H2, OS Build 19042.685 Since the 20H2 update every time I open Windows Mail App it ramps the fans up, but task manager displays 0% for all tabs When the app opens, emails will load but then freeze and this happens 90% of the time! If the mail...
  8. Windows Explorer broken after 20H2 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer broken after 20H2 update: Since the release of the update, I have been running 20H2 on my laptop however as of yesterday Windows Explorer kinda broke The issues I have are the following: Names of files, folders, and names of tools not showing as well as shortcuts Application files not opening...
  9. Windows Explorer broken after 20H2 update

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Explorer broken after 20H2 update: Since the release of the update, I have been running 20H2 on my laptop however as of yesterday Windows Explorer kinda broke The issues I have are the following: Names of files, folders, and names of tools not showing as well as shortcuts Application files not opening...
  10. Windows10 20H2 broken my system updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows10 20H2 broken my system updates: I dunno what happened with this update but it broke my system updater when I go to windows updates it just say please wait with the loading bar and my shut down has a Update and Shutdown/restart I've tried cleaning the software distribution folder restarting and stopping band...