Windows 10: 20H2 In-place upgrade cant keep personal settings and files on 20H2 clean install

Discus and support 20H2 In-place upgrade cant keep personal settings and files on 20H2 clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When trying in-place upgrade on a clean windows 10 pro 64 install I cant keep personal settings and files, only option is to keep nothing. It says... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RomanFdemortormen, Nov 1, 2020.

1. 20H2 In-place upgrade cant keep personal settings and files on 20H2 clean install

When trying in-place upgrade on a clean windows 10 pro 64 install I cant keep personal settings and files, only option is to keep nothing.

It says maybe my windows is installed in different folder / older version of windows.

- The same again on a second fresh installation of windows 20h2 on my system.

- Both on SATA drive and on new clean NvMe in RAID 0 config.

- Reseting bios does not help

- sfc, dism, - no change

- windows is installed in default folder

- everything was/is on default

- never had this issues prior to 20H2

- I use latest 20H2 iso version, downloaded multiple times with same results

Asus rog strix X570-e, ryzen 3600xt, 2xnvme ssd in raid 0, 32 gb ram 3600 mhz, gtx 1080, 2xsata ssd, current build 19042.610

:)

RomanFdemortormen, Nov 1, 2020
  2. Ghot Win User

Windows 10 20H2 Upgrade

Here's my half baked theory, for what it's worth...

I think MS has decided to assume that anyone doing an In-Place upgrade from a feature update to the same feature update (like 20H2 to 20H2), must "really" be trying to do a clean install, and not an In-Place upgrade.

Cause only an insane person would try to "upgrade" from a feature update to the same feature update.
    Ergo... they must want to do a clean install instead. SO... they disabled the option to save files and apps... for us.

Again, this is only a half baked guess.
    Maybe someone with 18 spare comps could test this.

Has anyone ever tried to do an In-Place upgrade from 20H1 to 20H1, or from 1909 to 1909?
    If so, did it also disable the ability to save files and apps?

IF an In-Place upgrade from 20H1 to 20H1, or from 1909 to 1909, DOES allow you to save files and apps, is the inability to do the same with 20H2 to 20H2, a new... stupid idea from MS, rather than a glitch?

20H2 In-place upgrade cant keep personal settings and files on 20H2 clean install [​IMG]

@Brink

Ghot, Nov 1, 2020
  3. Windows 10 20h2 Problem

I clean installed 20H2 but unfortunately i don't know which version i had previously.

Currently I'm trying to install the 1803 version, since it's an old laptop.

Or should i install the ones you suggested me?

Thank you

CreepyMemes, Nov 1, 2020
  4. Morku Win User

20H2 In-place upgrade cant keep personal settings and files on 20H2 clean install

FIle History: Element not found when clean up old files since 2004/20H2

Hi,

this request is similiar to File History: Element Not Found Error on Windows 10 May 2004

Other then he say, an In-place Upgrade did not solve the issue (did from 2004 to 20H2).

I am using file history since it was introduced in Windows 8 and it was always working as expected until 2004 arrived.

This is my configuration:

• I am using a networkdrive connected with SMB, so the path to backup is \\diskstation\Sicherung ASRock
    • The NAS is is a Synology Diskstation DS218+
    • my settings are to backup every 1 hour (does work) and clean up files obsolote files automatically after 1 month (does not work anymore)
    • I am only backup folders from my D: drive (not the userfiles in the Default settings)
    So since file history does not delete files older than 1 month, when I want clean it manually, I get the "Element not found" error.

Troubleshooting steps:

• I stoped and enabled file history -> same issue
    • I deleted the file history files and start again -> same issue
    • I also delete all file history backup files and also reseted the file history with the help of that: Reset File History to Default in Windows 10 -> same issue
    • Today I did the In-Place upgrade. I used the official 20H2 MVS ISO file, started again a new file history from beginning and tried the option again -> but it's the same issue
    So when we can expect a fix here?

No, I can't use the Feedback Hub, because it force me to enable Telemtry.

Morku, Nov 1, 2020
Thema:

20H2 In-place upgrade cant keep personal settings and files on 20H2 clean install

1. 20H2 In-place upgrade cant keep personal settings and files on 20H2 clean install - Similar Threads - 20H2 place upgrade

2. MECM: 20H2 In-Place Upgrade TS Running As Scan-Only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MECM: 20H2 In-Place Upgrade TS Running As Scan-Only: We are testing out some in-place upgrades from 1909 to 20H2 and noticed that during the task sequence step Upgrade OS the logs state the following.Upgrade with Windows Update didn't run, return with 0x87D00708, set ScanOnly to true.ScanOnly mode: nothing else to do in this...
  3. MECM: 20H2 In-Place Upgrade TS Running As Scan-Only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MECM: 20H2 In-Place Upgrade TS Running As Scan-Only: We are testing out some in-place upgrades from 1909 to 20H2 and noticed that during the task sequence step Upgrade OS the logs state the following.Upgrade with Windows Update didn't run, return with 0x87D00708, set ScanOnly to true.ScanOnly mode: nothing else to do in this...
  4. In-place upgrade 20H2 issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In-place upgrade 20H2 issue: We are working on IPU TS to upgrade the win1909 to win 20H2. The TS is struck in "Upgrade Operating System" sequence on some devices. We found in the setupact.log that the error occurs in Add driver file processing driver Conexant HD Audio driver. We have seen many references...
  5. Windows Cant Update or Install 20H2

Windows Cant Update or Install 20H2: Hi anybody know might know what to do,Over the last few months Windows has been trying and failing to install the update to 20H2. I am currently on 1909. After months of trying and failing, one failure took out my audio drivers and I couldn't fix them, so I tried installing...
  6. Cant upgrade to 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant upgrade to 20H2: Hey guys! I tried for hours now to finally upgrade to 20H2 but the update keeps failing at some point. I dont know where exactly but after downloading 100% (and I think it also said installing) it tells me I have to restart my PC. After restarting I get a message that the...
  7. Will an in-place upgrade 20H2 remove Win32 apps?

Will an in-place upgrade 20H2 remove Win32 apps?: Hi, my computer has been acting up recently and I'd like to perfom an in-place upgrade, but I've heard that from 20H2 you will not be able to keep any apps. Is this true?...
  8. Upgrading from 20H2 to 20H2 Enterprise version

Upgrading from 20H2 to 20H2 Enterprise version: hi guys I have upgraded my windows 10 home version to 20H2 for free Bought new version of 20H2 enterprise but if i Upgrading from 20H2 to 20H2 Enterprise version do i lose my software and apps and files on my previous 20H2? Thanks...
  9. in-place upgrade is not possible on Win10 1809 to 20H2

in-place upgrade is not possible on Win10 1809 to 20H2: Hello all, I am stuck with in-place upgrade of Win10 1809 x64 Enterprise. to Win10 20H2 x64 Enterprise on HP laptops with Thunderbolt port. A desktops are not affected. It is basically the same issue as here I see the same error in setup.exe GUI during pre-installation...
  10. "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "repair install" or "in place upgrade" is broken in 20H2: You cannot to a "repair install" or "in place upgrade" and keep files and apps with 20H2. It works fine with 2004. The installation media will not allow you to keep your files and apps. All other options other than "Nothing" are greyed out. To be clear, you CAN upgrade from...