Windows 10: 20H2 on older machine

Discus and support 20H2 on older machine in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; All three of my computers are about 10-11 yrs old. All are running 1909 flawlessly. None have been offered 2004 or 20H2 in updates except one was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bfunke, Nov 16, 2020.

1. bfunke Win User

20H2 on older machine

All three of my computers are about 10-11 yrs old. All are running 1909 flawlessly. None have been offered 2004 or 20H2 in updates except one was offered transiently so I decided to test with an old ASUS K53 laptop that is basically stock except for SATA SSD and 8 GB ram. Install went well but took longer than expected maybe an hour or so after downloadusing update assistant. All programs seem to be working and no errors. I did notice it added an extra chromedege icon to the taskbar in addition to the one I had pinned but unpinning old one and repinning new one seems to fixed that. Win Defender was also giving me severe threat warning about filehijack in my hosts file. Trying to remove with defender did nothing. Neither Malwarebytes nor Spybot SearchandDestroy found any threat. Researching led me to believe this is new windows behavior when telemetry is blocked. Back when I upgraded originally to 1505 I installed Spybot Antibeacon and blocked everything including Office 2106 telemetry. Uninstalling Spybot Antibeacon and resetting the host file seem to have fixed that. Win Update is offering multiple optional driver updates now under 20H2 but every device seems to be working fine and all were current driver before the update from 1909. Should I install these optional driver or leave well enough alone? Thoughts? Thanks.

:)

bfunke, Nov 16, 2020

2. Update 20h2

Hi Wicki,

I am Sumit, an Independent Advisor and a 3 year Windows Insider MVP here to help.

20H2 should not be installed right-away on your device - MS said the rollout is only to a fraction of users and would be labeled as an optional update initially. Are you enrolled in WIP?

You may uninstall 20H2 using the steps below:

https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2020/10/uninst...

Content on the above blog is written by a Microsoft MVP so it is safe. However, do watch out for the ads.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Nov 16, 2020
  3. Swapping to an older version of windows

Is there still an official way to drop back to an older version of windows, I honestly don't mind using a 3rd party way. If possible, can you list step by step instructions or a link to an easy to use website. Thanks.

jordanrothstein, Nov 16, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

20H2 on older machine

Update History is not showing v.20H2

Hi Dominic

I am Dave, an Independent Advisor, I will help you with this . . .

This is normal behavior in Windows 10, typically when you install a Feature Update like 20h2, the update history is wiped, this is to prevent the user from trying to uninstall an update that was prior to the Feature Update, which would de-stabilize Windows
    10, the list should start building again, when some updates are applied to version 20h2 . . .

DaveM121, Nov 16, 2020
Thema:

20H2 on older machine

1. 20H2 on older machine - Similar Threads - 20H2 older machine

2. Need to find and delete the duplicate older machine certificates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to find and delete the duplicate older machine certificates: Hi,I want to know if there is a PowerShell command that can find and delete duplicate old machine certificates from the local machine store.I want to know if there is a query to find devices with duplicate certificates in "Cert:\LocalMachine\My" location.Thanks,Muja...
  3. Need to find and delete the duplicate older machine certificates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to find and delete the duplicate older machine certificates: Hi,I want to know if there is a PowerShell command that can find and delete duplicate old machine certificates from the local machine store.I want to know if there is a query to find devices with duplicate certificates in "Cert:\LocalMachine\My" location.Thanks,Muja...
  4. Need to find and delete the duplicate older machine certificates

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Updated machine to 20H2, and gained an extra monitor?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Updated machine to 20H2, and gained an extra monitor?: Window 10 ProVersion: 20H2 Installed on: ‎11/‎20/‎2021 OS build: 19042.1387 Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0 I just built a computer, and yesterday had just the 20H2 update as the last thing my updates would present. upon finishing the install and...
  6. Update 20H2 wrecks my machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update 20H2 wrecks my machine: Last night, even though I’d switched off updates and put my computer to ‘sleep’, MS unilaterally decided to reboot and apply version 20H2, the update I’d been trying to avoid. This has wrecked my machine twice before, so I'd turned off the update. This morning again, nothing...
  7. Can't install on an older machine

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't install on an older machine: I'm trying to install Windows 10 on a P4HT (dual-core 64bit) IBM. I have tried flashing the ISO to a USB stick, copying the ISO onto a Ventoy USB stick and doing the first part of the install on another machine. Doing either of the USB methods I get a black screen with a...
  8. Need help with windows 10 install on older machine.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help with windows 10 install on older machine.: I’m trying to get windows 10 64bit installed on a pretty old system. I’m able to get the 32bit version running fine but when I try to install the 64bit it doesn’t get passed the bios boot screen. This was an old video editing system so the specs were solid for its time. Dual...
  9. Running windows 10 On Older Machines

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Running windows 10 On Older Machines: O.k.......I am running Windows 10 on a seven years old Dell Inspiron 1545, it works fine apart from one problem.......after clicking on desktop icon it can take up to 25 seconds to load a web page.......not all the time, and not all web pages.......Facebook for instance is...
  10. Anniversary fails on older machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Anniversary fails on older machine: Twice I have been notified of awaiting update and to restart. The update is the Anniversary version. After over an hour of time, the computer will fail to boot and after fiddling you are notified you must restart to return to the previous version. That restart took me over an...