Windows 10: 20h2 - usb hard drive won't eject

Discus and support 20h2 - usb hard drive won't eject in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've searched this forum and tried several solutions with no joy... After running freefilesync yesterday my WD Elements usb drive would not eject using... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LouG, May 4, 2021.

1. LouG Win User

20h2 - usb hard drive won't eject

I've searched this forum and tried several solutions with no joy... After running freefilesync yesterday my WD Elements usb drive would not eject using the task manager. Tried explorer but there is no eject option that I can see. Also tried disk management but no eject option there either. Finally, powered off and removed the drive then rebooted - all files on the drive seem ok. Is there a known solution to this problem? TIA for any help.

:)

LouG, May 4, 2021

2. 20h2 - usb hard drive won't eject

Right-click on the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon on the system tray.
    Do you see the external hard disk?

20h2 - usb hard drive won't eject [​IMG]

Matthew Wai, May 4, 2021
  3. f14tomcat Win User

If the drive policies are set to Quick Removal, it is not necessary to use Safely Eject and you may not even see the option, since it is not needed.

f14tomcat, May 4, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

As Matthew says, the normal way to eject a USB HDD is from the taskbar icon, click the ^ to look in the hidden icons if you don't see it on the taskbar.

Having said that, you cannot safely eject if any file on the HDD is open. Closing all apps should close all the files they have opened, but sometimes a file is left marked as 'open'. It's not always obvious what process may still be holding a file open. Try signing out then in again to close all your processes, that works 9 times out of 10. If all else fails, it is always safe to power off and remove the drive as you did.

Bree, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. 20h2 - usb hard drive won't eject - Similar Threads - 20h2 usb hard

2. Unable to eject usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to eject usb hard drive: When trying to eject usb mass storage device it is showing that it is in use by other applications. But after disconnected from internet hard drive easily can be ejected. Is there any web related serious issue ?like Ransomware or anything?I have quickheal antivirus...
  3. Unable to eject usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to eject usb hard drive: When trying to eject usb mass storage device it is showing that it is in use by other applications. But after disconnected from internet hard drive easily can be ejected. Is there any web related serious issue ?like Ransomware or anything?I have quickheal antivirus...
  4. Unable to eject usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. USB-A hard drive not being ejected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB-A hard drive not being ejected: Almost every time I try to eject my hard drive, my PC prompts that the file is in use and can't be ejected. I've closed all the apps, browsers, bluetooth, wifi, connections, everything. It still says that the file is in use. What the heck is really going on?...
  6. USB-A hard drive not being ejected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB-A hard drive not being ejected: Almost every time I try to eject my hard drive, my PC prompts that the file is in use and can't be ejected. I've closed all the apps, browsers, bluetooth, wifi, connections, everything. It still says that the file is in use. What the heck is really going on?...
  7. USB-A hard drive not being ejected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. hard drive not ejecting.

hard drive not ejecting.: The application \Device\HarddiskVolume3\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2008.9-0\MsMpEng.exe with process id 4592 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_1058&PID_25A2\57583831414336394B4A5659. how do i force eject, concidering how useless...
  9. how to eject usb external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to eject usb external hard drive: how to eject usb external hard drive that keeps on working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-eject-usb-external-hard-drive/379c0bb2-2d84-4414-a1ae-5a6cae18cd8b"
  10. USB drives that won't eject

USB drives that won't eject: Like, apparently, many people, I frequently find that USB drives won't eject because they are supposedly in use. I have seen this question posted in many places, but I have yet to see a solution that works. There are two solutions which are supposed to work, but don't....