Windows 10: 25 Years: How the Web began

Discus and support 25 Years: How the Web began in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; 25 years ago there was the Internet, but there was no Web. Then, Tim Berners-Lee proposed creating an Internet-based hypertext system and the Web was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Dec 20, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

25 Years: How the Web began

Read more: 25 Years: How the Web began | ZDNet

:)

Brink, Dec 20, 2015

2. to clear Temp Files ??

Last Nite I began to download a game.It was almost 25% download was over.But due to some reason,i cancelled the download.Next Morning I again started the download and to my surprise,the game began to download from where i had stopped last nite.Does it
    mean that when i cancelled the download,25% portion was in my memory????If i had not downloaded the game next morning,it would have been there in memory,consuming it???

If YEs,how could i remove uncompleted file traces from memory???

Abhishek Roy 1988, Dec 20, 2015
  3. kvirtanen Win User
    E71: what DOESN'T work after FW 200.21.118

Web browser: sometimes after surfing the web for a while the browser suddenly becomes unable to press buttons or links even if the cursor changes to the hand icon. Even writing a reply to this discussion board came to a crude stop when the browser refused
    to press the "submit" button, so this reply was written with Opera Mini. The browser requires a restart to become operational again.

The problems began after updating to the v.200 firmware.
    Message Edited by on 14-Feb-2009 11:25 AM

kvirtanen, Dec 20, 2015
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

amazing that the USA still uses it !!!! Usually anything not invented in the US "Doesn't exist". !!! Actually only about half true now these days -- still it shows how far the Internet has advanced -- I remember logging on with a dial up Hayes modem thinking we were in the front of technology with a 1200 Baud modem (if anybody can remember what BAUD is !!). We only had text connection too -- no windows or GUI at the start.

Nowadays 50 - 70 mbs is not that unusual and next year we (at least where I am) should be connected to speeds over 100 mbs with prospect in the near future of reaching download speeds of 1GB/s. We'l need that for some 4K video at full resolution - even with H265 compression.

Happy Xmas everybody.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 20, 2015
  5. I remember here in uk at least where I lived, it took ages on dial up to get online or do a download and update and if you run out of your allowance that we had to pay in advance for, you either had to pay extra or wait for the next lot of allowance

hTconeM9user, Dec 20, 2015
  6. Winuser Win User
    I didn't have a cap but I do remember the slow upload/download speeds with dial up internet. It use to take me 3 days to download a ISO of Linux Mandrake. I also had to have a second line put in so we could still use the phone.

Winuser, Dec 21, 2015
  7. Winuser Win User
    If I remember correctly my first modem was only 300 baud.

Winuser, Dec 21, 2015
  8. mrpumpkin Win User

I remember playing some Q3 on public UK servers, and in the beginning, you all had horrible pings. I would play as high as 150, but only because you all were lagging as well.

mrpumpkin, Dec 21, 2015
  9. Microsoft certainly didn't think the Web was going to take off, anyone else remember Blackbird?

Where I lived it was a long-distance phone call to dial up the Internet. Then I discovered that I could connect by using the free 0800 Microsoft Network sign-up number instead of my PoP number.

I also have reason to believe that I am the originator of the word "Spam", although it was not intended. My username was spamfritters and my sig (unwisely) consisted of the entire chorus from the Monty Python "Spam" sketch.

nigelmercier, Dec 21, 2015
  10. Trust_No1 Win User
    WOW and all these years I thought Al Gore invented the web!!!

Trust_No1, Dec 21, 2015
  11. So now you know

hTconeM9user, Dec 21, 2015
  12. I first used a 14,400 bps modem on both BBS systems, but I soon upgraded to a 33,600 bps modem. The only slower serial communications that I ever used was accessing SCO Open Server on a Wyse Terminal at 9,600 bps.

Jody Thornton, Dec 21, 2015
  13. Geneo Win User

Well the Internet was invented by the US. It was a DARPA (defense advance research project agency) project - ARPANET.

the original Web was dumb terminal menus to select documents across the internet with hypertext markup language invented by TBL and company at CERN. It didn't take off big until the first graphical browser, Mosaic, which was also of US origin - NCSA in Illinois. Netscape, which evolved into Firefox, was a derivative of Mosaic.

I remember when TBL, early on, gave a talk about www. We discussed it, weren't confident it would take off! But you know it wasn't just www and hypertext that enabled it, it was evolving GUI interfaces an many other things from around the globe.

Geneo, Dec 22, 2015
  14. so netscape is now firefox???.... wow that browser sure made a 500% improvement. hated netscape more than internet explorer but have used firefox and it really isn't all that bad of a browser. much better than internet explorer or chrome

pitbullpup, Dec 22, 2015
  15. Geneo Win User
    Yes, Netscape released its code to Mozilla, which started the work towards Firefox. Of course Firefox rewrote Netscape with gecko and Firefox only has that tenuous root in Netscape.

Geneo, Dec 22, 2015
Thema:

1. 25 Years: How the Web began - Similar Threads - Years Web began

2. After several years of stable operation, the PC began to periodically BSOD ntoskrnl.exe+3fda40

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After several years of stable operation, the PC began to periodically BSOD ntoskrnl.exe+3fda40: Hello. After several years of stable operation, the PC began to periodically BSOD, mostly ntoskrnl.exe+3fda40, reinstalled Windows 10 Pro from scratch using MediaCreationTool_22H2, replaced the RAM and still the blue screen flies out. Can anyone tell me from the dumps which...
  3. After several years of stable operation, the PC began to periodically BSOD ntoskrnl.exe+3fda40

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After several years of stable operation, the PC began to periodically BSOD ntoskrnl.exe+3fda40: Hello. After several years of stable operation, the PC began to periodically BSOD, mostly ntoskrnl.exe+3fda40, reinstalled Windows 10 Pro from scratch using MediaCreationTool_22H2, replaced the RAM and still the blue screen flies out. Can anyone tell me from the dumps which...
  4. After several years of stable operation, the PC began to periodically BSOD ntoskrnl.exe+3fda40

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. System 25%

System 25%: What is system doing? Its doing around 20% can I see the details somewhee? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-25/6da43609-5c35-4a51-a429-301e6f1c6da3
  6. How is it that a quick web search returns years of complaints about Windows Photo Viewer...

How is it that a quick web search returns years of complaints about Windows Photo Viewer...: Here's an example from this very site: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-photo-viewer-in-windows-10-can-view-webp/a9371113-6b91-46a7-88ea-119837e05a3a...
  7. 100% disk usage + thank you to MS for Past 25 years

100% disk usage + thank you to MS for Past 25 years: I would like to thank Microsoft for my constant high disk 100% usage and all the services that i dont want enabled that are from boot. I would also like to thank them for stress testing all my HDD to the point they break due to all the services enabled Cant wait for you...
  8. OneDrive & Vault lost 25 year of personal data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive & Vault lost 25 year of personal data: Please Help me, need to recuperate my personal data! I'm feeling kind Desperate. So i start to open my personal Vault on computer not the browser. I copied all my persoanl file 25 year of my life something like 150 GB and 68k files. On same time I copied also Video and...
  9. A Program (Ten Years Old) Began Failing With the Advent of Windows 10 Pasting Ordinary Text...

A Program (Ten Years Old) Began Failing With the Advent of Windows 10 Pasting Ordinary Text...: This product defect (I do not call them bugs anymore, they are product defects) has been troubling me for one year. I have reported it a dozen times. There seems to have been some attempt by Microsoft to fix the problem as the product defect is evident intermittently...
  10. Microsoft began 41 years ago today in Albuquerque, New Mexico

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft began 41 years ago today in Albuquerque, New Mexico: Happy Birthday ! - Microsoft began 41 years ago today in Albuquerque, New Mexico [img] Microsoft officially started 41 years ago today. On April 4, 1975, co-founders Paul Allen and Bill Gates launched their business to sell the Altair BASIC interpreter that was...