Windows 10: 2GB external HDD backup is recognized as only 259 mb by my laptop??

Discus and support 2GB external HDD backup is recognized as only 259 mb by my laptop?? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 1.8 GB backup (G) hdd that is showing up in this computer as 260mb (see screen shot) When I opened it up in in Disk Management it diagrams... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by provlima, Mar 6, 2018.

1. provlima Win User

2GB external HDD backup is recognized as only 259 mb by my laptop??

I have a 1.8 GB backup (G) hdd that is showing up in this computer as 260mb (see screen shot)
    When I opened it up in in Disk Management it diagrams the drive into 2 partitions

The first partition is unlabeled and shows as 260mb and the second partition
    shows as 1863 GB.

How can I restore this drive to be recognized by my laptop in its correct near 2GB size

How can I get mylaptop to recognize the backup hdd as its true 1863 GB size???

:)

provlima, Mar 6, 2018
  2. marcomrco Win User

BIOS sees HDD windows 10 PRO doesn't

Hi everybody, I've got a big problem, I've just formatted my HDD and installed w10. I had 3 HDD the first two of them (C: and D2GB external HDD backup is recognized as  only 259 mb  by my laptop?? :) doesn't have any problems but F: doesn't show up. On disk management I can see an unamed volume (which is 259 MB)

The main problem is that the third HDD (F2GB external HDD backup is recognized as  only 259 mb  by my laptop?? :) is encrypted with bitlocker and I can't unlock or see anymore. I've already tried to switch the jumper and enable the auto mount but nothing just the BIOS sees it.

Previously I had windows 7 ultimate (where I first encrypted my HDD)

PS with an external program I'm able to see and decrypt but unable to recover its content (unless i buy the external software)

marcomrco, Mar 6, 2018
  3. my western digital ultra stopped working after anniversary update

CPU: Intel i5 4670K

MB: Asus Z87-A

I tried My External HDD. It works both on a different computer and on a diferent Android TV BOX (even android box recognized hdd in miliseconsds)

My motherboard has the latest drivers. There is no motherboard driver update released after anniversary update.

Also there is no driver found for WD Ultra in WD site. There are some utility applications only. They also thought "who needs driver for an external hdd?"

The last time i need a driver for hdd was windows 95.

Erman ENGINLER, Mar 6, 2018
  4. topgundcp Win User

The partition table on your external hard drive is corrupted/damaged therefore Windows will fails to read this partition and displays as RAW. Although the data is still there, you'd need a third party program and use the option "Partition Recovery" to fix the problem. The free version of Minitool Partition Wizard will scan the lost partition.However, to recover the lost partition, you'd need to buy the Pro version to recover the lost partiiton.

If the data in this partition is not important then you can delete this partition then re-create and format it.

2GB external HDD backup is recognized as  only 259 mb  by my laptop?? [​IMG]

Another way to fix this problem without using the third party is:
    UPDATED How To Fix: External Disk Drive Suddenly Became RAW – Unknown Kadath
    But it is tedious and not guarantee to work.

topgundcp, Mar 6, 2018
  5. jumanji Win User
    Hi Provlima,

Tell me about the history of your 2TB external drive. The question is how come your external drive has a 260 MB EFI System Partition. I would suspect that you took out an Internal system drive and put it in an external enclosure. If that is what you did, tell me the reason why you took an internal drive and made it an external drive. If you haven't manipulated this " external drive" in any way, I would suggest that you restore it back as the original system drive and check whether you are able to access the HDD. If accessible copy all the data into another external drive. Afterwards you can take it out and put it in an enclosure and initialise it as an MBR drive and format it.. You will then not have that EFI System partition.

Before you do that, in the present condition , take a screenshot how your present this 2TB external drive looks like in MiniTool Partition Wizard . I would suggest that you download the Minitool Partition Wizard Free Edition v 9.1 - yes old version 9.1 - run it and take a screenshot. MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 10.2.2 Download for Windows / Old Versions / FileHorse.com ( Note: Partition Recovery is free in the old version. In the higher versions you need to buy a pro edition. In this case however it is not a Partition lost issue and I would think it is a file system corruption issue or some compatibility problem with your external enclosure unable to read a GPT partition )

It is past midnight here and so do not expect me for the next 6 to 8 hours. I do wake up exactly five hours from now.

jumanji, Mar 6, 2018
  6. provlima Win User
    Thank you for your reply.
    The 2TB is a WD My Passport external drive I use to backup my laptop
    The problem occurred when I attempted to make a Macrium 7 clone on it
    I downloaded minitool 9.1 and made the screenshot you requested

2GB external HDD backup is recognized as  only 259 mb  by my laptop?? [​IMG]

provlima, Mar 6, 2018
  7. topgundcp Win User
    Select the 2TB disk then click on Partition Recovery, don't forget to click on "Apply" for each operation. What is the result ?

topgundcp, Mar 6, 2018
  8. provlima Win User

are you thinking that doing that would eliminate all the partitions?
    Im not interested in recovering any data on that backup drive

provlima, Mar 6, 2018
  9. jumanji Win User
    OK, my assumptions were wrong *Smile, but my questioning brought out the exact problem. I would just make one comment - the clone you did is not an exact clone of your system drive. You may raise another query on how to make an exact clone with Macrium reflect. (I see you are already on it. I won't enter into it for I had never used Macrium)

Focusing on your problem on how to make the leftout 1645GB accessible, use Partition Wizard to create a new volume in the unallocated space and format it.

As already told, it is not a Partition lost problem and partition recovery as suggested by topgundcp in his last post is irrelevant. Sorry topgundcp.

jumanji, Mar 7, 2018
  10. jumanji Win User
    Please read this in conjunction with my previous post.

I forgot to mention one important information.

Do not use Western Digital Passport or Passport Ultra to save your backup/clone. Both use on-the-fly hardware encryption with a hardware encryption/decryption chip built into the SATA to usb Bridge electronics inside the enclosure. In most cases this electronics fails and you lose all that is stored in your passport.. That data cannot be recovered by ordinary mortals like you and me. Your only course to recover the data is to entrust it to Western Digital Data Recovery Partners who only have the necessary electronics and decrypt key and your wallet will become thin and flat.

Instead buy a branded external enclosure and put an internal HDD into it and use it for cloning /Backup. If you had done a perfect clone, should your system HDD fail, you can take out the internal HDD from the enclosure and bring your PC/desktop alive by replacing the failed HDD inside. You also have the advantage of checking whether your clone really works after cloning. You can then sleep peacefully.

jumanji, Mar 7, 2018
  11. Dlambert Win User
    It is corrupted or not formatted so you'll see RAW in Disk Management. Try this to format it normally.
    1. Open Command Prompt, type diskpart and hit Enter.
    2. Type these commands: list volume > select volume n (where n is the volume number of the RAW drive) > format fs=ntfs quick > exit. Press Enter after each command.
    Regards.

Dlambert, Mar 21, 2018
  12. Dlambert Win User
    It is corrupted or not formatted so you'll see RAW in Disk Management. Try this to format it normally.
    1. Open Command Prompt, type diskpart and hit Enter.
    2. Type these commands: list volume > select volume n (where n is the volume number of the RAW drive) > format fs=ntfs quick > exit. Press Enter after each command.
    Regards.

Dlambert, Mar 21, 2018
  13. cereberus Win User

If you are happy to lose all data on drive 3, this is what to do.

Open admin command prompt and type following

diskpart

list disk

select disk 2 (windows starts at drive 0 so drive 2 is drive 3 from minitool)

clean

create partition primary

select partition 1

format fs=ntfs quick

assign

exit

exit

If you want to backup OS drive, use an image backup to that drive, not cloning.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 2GB external HDD backup is recognized as only 259 mb by my laptop?? - Similar Threads - 2GB external HDD

2. External HDD not recognized only on my Win10 pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External HDD not recognized only on my Win10 pc: Hello everyone, I recently assembled a computer for me with a Ryzen 5 3600, mboard Asus A520M-Plus, GTX-1060 with the latest version of Win10. Every usb peripheral that I’ve connected so far is working but one specific external HDD is not. It’s a WD Passport bought two years...
  3. Trouble making a backup to an external HDD

Trouble making a backup to an external HDD: I'm making a backup of my files to an external HDD I bought recently. Both my SSD and HDD are the same size, but Windows is saying there's not enough space. And the space that's already being taken up is already larger than what's on my SSD. Any help?...
  4. Windows 10 Backup and Restore not recognizing WD External HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Backup and Restore not recognizing WD External HDD: I've recently upgraded from a Windows 7 Toshiba Satellite to a Windows Lenovo Legion Y540 -15IRH. I have a vast gaming library and file structure, so I wanted it all copied from old to new computer. I made a backup of my Toshiba on the WD my passport and attempted to use...
  5. External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD is FAT32 but recognized as RAW?: Hello, I don't know if this is the right place to ask for help but I would appreciate it if someone could tell me what to do! Yesterday, all of a sudden, my external HDD (ADATA HV300) stopped working... At first it would completely freeze the File Explorer on Windows 10 and...
  6. OneDrive or External HDD for backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    OneDrive or External HDD for backup?: I'm trying to keep subscription costs and/or hardware costs down, so I would like to find a backup strategy that doesn't involve both, or at least doesn't cost too much. I would like to do daily / weekly incremental backups, and image my drive once a month or so. From what...
  7. USB port will only recognize external HDD

USB port will only recognize external HDD: Alright, I'm struggling with this one, all of my searching only gives problems where people cannot get their external hard drive to show up, but I have the opposite problem. After plugging in an external HDD, then removing it (I "safely remove"ed it, which i think is...
  8. Backup to external HDD on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backup to external HDD on network: My PC OS is Windows 10 v17763. The OS is installed on a SSD drive. D, E and F SATA drives are also on the computer. The PC is connected by Ethernet to a Netgear Nighthawk R7800 router by ethernet. A 4Tb external HDD is connected to the Netgear router by USB. This drive is...
  9. backup on external hdd on router

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    backup on external hdd on router: i have an external hdd on my router and i want to make a system image backup there, but i can't find it when i have to choose a network location. what should i do?...
  10. 2GB external hdd backup is recognized as only 260mb drive...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2GB external hdd backup is recognized as only 260mb drive...: I have a 1.8 GB backup (G) hdd that is showing up in this computer as 260mb (see screen shot) When I opened it up in in Disk Management it diagrams the drive into 2 partitions The first partition is unlabeled and shows as 260mb and the second partition shows as 1863 GB....