Windows 10: 2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters

Discus and support 2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently was required to reinstall Windows 10 after I installed a new SSD as my C: drive. Now, I've got everything up and running I noted the drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by billmasonismad, May 3, 2019.

1. 2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters

I recently was required to reinstall Windows 10 after I installed a new SSD as my C: drive. Now, I've got everything up and running I noted the drive letters that were assigned to my second and third hard drives were different than what I use to have and not the drive letters I preferred. I followed the instructions to change the drive letter and they did not change but rather it added the new drive letter I assigned to the old drive letter. Below, is what File Explorer shows me now. I noted that the I and J are shown with a colon but D and E do not.

Local Disk (C2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters :)

Local Disk (D) (I2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters :)

Local Disk (E) (J2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters :)

I then went back into Device Manager and chose to "change the drive letter" again but the next window allowed me to remove the extra drive letter so I removed it (J2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters :) and found that disk no longer appeared in File Explorer at all and became inaccessible. The drive does continue to show up in Device Manager and Disk Management and continues to show both drive letters.

I have spent several days researching this problem, trying many suggestions listed on Help web pages and nothing has been successful.

:)

billmasonismad, May 3, 2019

2. 2nd and 3rd Hard Drive. Both show 2 drive letters

I recently was required to reinstall Windows 10 after I installed a new SSD as my C: drive. Now, I've got everything up and running I noted the drive letters that were assigned to my second and third hard drives were different than what I use to have and
    not the drive letters I preferred. I followed the instructions to change the drive letter and they did not change but rather it added the new drive letter I assigned to the old drive letter. Below, is what File Explorer shows me now. I noted that the I
    and J are shown with a colon but D and E do not.

Local Disk (C2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters :)

Local Disk (D) (I2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters :)

Local Disk (E) (J2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters :)

I then went back into Device Manager and chose to "change the drive letter" again but the next window allowed me to remove the extra drive letter so I removed it (J2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters :) and found that disk no longer appeared in File Explorer at all and became inaccessible.
    The drive does continue to show up in Device Manager and Disk Management and continues to show both drive letters.

I have spent several days researching this problem, trying many suggestions listed on Help web pages and nothing has been successful.

billmasonismad, May 3, 2019
  3. second hard drive not showing

had problem with new laptop being stuck in repair mode, reinstalled windows 10 now 2nd hard drive does not show in device manager or disk mgmt.

no way to reassign drive letter, dive not showing. Restarted computer and went to boot menu or bios menu. Drive is listed there. When windows boots up, it disappears.

DEATH BY SWEETP, May 3, 2019
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, May 3, 2019
Thema:

2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters

1. 2nd and 3rd hard drives show two drive Letters - Similar Threads - 2nd 3rd hard

2. 2nd hard drive constantly restarting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    2nd hard drive constantly restarting: Every few seconds one of my other hard drives non-C sounds like it is trying to start but fails and tries again. Access/opening/saving to these drives seems fine. They are used for extra image storage and one is a scratch drive for Photoshop. This had been a problem at 2...
  3. 2nd hard drive not showing win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2nd hard drive not showing win 10: I'm trying to take a sata hard drive (with existing data) from an older win 10 machine and add it as a second drive on newer win 10 machine (also sata). First time I've done it. I've watched YT videos on how to configure the 2nd drive but it's based on the 2nd drive showing...
  4. Help... I got a new hard drive and now my 3rd drive thinks it’s the 2nd and that it’s...

Help... I got a new hard drive and now my 3rd drive thinks it’s the 2nd and that it’s...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TreyDogg72 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/grwdim/help_i_got_a_new_hard_drive_and_now_my_3rd_drive/
  5. Replacing a hard drive but keeping the drive letter?

Replacing a hard drive but keeping the drive letter?: I want to replace the secondary hard drive in my PC with a bigger one because I need more storage space. Can I just plug in the new one, copy all my stuff to it, then unplug the old one and assign the old drive letter to the new one? Or will that cause problems? I'd like to...
  6. two hard drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    two hard drives: 1 ssd with windows 10 os. 1 ssd with windows 7os. When windows 10 updates and restarts it corrupts the boot configuration for these drives to the extent that windows 10 will not boot and the repair disk can not fix it. I have had to reinstall windows twice now is there a...
  7. 2nd and 3rd Hard Drive. Both show 2 drive letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2nd and 3rd Hard Drive. Both show 2 drive letters: I recently was required to reinstall Windows 10 after I installed a new SSD as my C: drive. Now, I've got everything up and running I noted the drive letters that were assigned to my second and third hard drives were different than what I use to have and not the drive...
  8. 2nd External Drive does not have a Drive letter

2nd External Drive does not have a Drive letter: I have Win 10 trying to connect a 2nd external drive and it should show up as F. The internal drive shows up as C, the first external drive shows up as E. Can't seem to get the 2nd one to show up on new PC. It works on my other PC's. Went to Computer Management, Disk...
  9. Use Vmware on 2nd hard drive

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Use Vmware on 2nd hard drive: I have 2 hard drives and both are 500gb. First hard drive have installed Windows on it and all the programs. If i was to install Vmware on my second hard disk and then install windows on it, would i get better performance? My host OS would be running on first hard...
  10. A 2nd System Reserved on Another Hard Drive Under Its Own Drive Letter

A 2nd System Reserved on Another Hard Drive Under Its Own Drive Letter: So I have this other System Reserved Partition that isn't for my main drive (C). It is under a drive I use for backing up (F). Now it wouldn't really be a big issue as it isn't much space but it also has it's own drive letter (D) which I find unorganized. I guess I could just...