Windows 10: 2nd monitor frozen on waking to last image before sleeping

Discus and support 2nd monitor frozen on waking to last image before sleeping in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have an acer GD235 set up as my second monitor. It's worked great for years! Recently, after the computer sleeps or hybernates, the systems wakes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ronmikes, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Ronmikes Win User

2nd monitor frozen on waking to last image before sleeping

I have an acer GD235 set up as my second monitor. It's worked great for years! Recently, after the computer sleeps or hybernates, the systems wakes with both monitors coming on, but the second (Acer) is frozen on the last screen image before sleeping. The desktop is live underneath as I can pull windows out from under the image. I thought it's the monitor but when I switch that monitor to the primary monitor, the other monitor (Asus) goes black. The only solution is to go to Display Settings and turn on/off 3D Display Settings. I don't need to cycle it on and off, just what ever it's not at the time. Just clicking it once solves the issue.

:)

Ronmikes, Jan 27, 2019

2. 2nd monitor 'missing' on wake after sleep

Running Win10, 64-bit on PC; verified latest nVida driver for EVGA GTX-960; using two monitors in expanded desktop:

When waking from sleep mode, only one monitor displays, all items crammed into it AND resolution changes, not to the monitor's default--have to run detect to (re-)find 2nd monitor and re-normalize desktop. This did NOT happen when running Win 8.1. No changes
    to hardware configuration since upgrade. ???

NormTrudell, Jan 27, 2019
  3. 2nd monitor 'missing' on wake after sleep

The very first thing I checked before asking for help was to check for the latest graphics driver---only a month old, not bad. I ran through your steps to get to the device manager and checked for driver update and confirmed again the one dated 12/16/15
    is the latest. The EVGA GTX-960 is only 6 months old, as is the computer. (I should note the 2nd monitor is designated as the primary monitor.) I haven't checked the BIOS for updates as yet but will keep it in mind if all else fails. The last reply did
    give me a couple of ideas however.

First: I swapped out the second monitor with a spare---it worked in a one-test wake-up.

Second: I reverted back to the original monitor but switched from a display port - DVI-I setup to HDMI - HDMI. It's worked on two tests. These early results are encouraging. I shall continue to operate in this configuration to see if this this solution is
    permanent.

Thank you for your replies and suggestions. They may not be solutions but they helped.

NormTrudell, Jan 27, 2019
  4. 2nd monitor frozen on waking to last image before sleeping

2nd monitor 'missing' on wake after sleep

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand when the computer wakes up from sleep second monitor is now waking up. We will help you to resolve the issue.

This issue might be to corrupted power settings.

To diagnose and fix this issue, try the following methods.

Method 1: Power troubleshooter.

I would suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Press the ‘Windows + W’ key on the keyboard.
    • Type troubleshooter in the search box and then press Enter.
    • Select Troubleshooting. Click on
      and select Power.
    • Click next and follow the on-screen instructions.
    If the issue still persist follow the below method.

Method 2: Restore Power Option Settings.

I would suggest you to restore default settings of power plan and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + w, and select the option
      Control Panel
    • Click on the Power Options icon.
    • Click on Change advanced power settings.
    • Select the option “Restore default settings for this plan”.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jan 27, 2019
Thema:

2nd monitor frozen on waking to last image before sleeping

1. 2nd monitor frozen on waking to last image before sleeping - Similar Threads - 2nd monitor frozen

2. Taskbar frozen when waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar frozen when waking from sleep: After some googling, I see this issue has existed for a number of years now, but yet to find an actual fix rather than a very limiting workaround.Issue:Lock the computer and wait for it to sleepWake the computerLogin, and you'll find the task bar is visible, but unresponsive....
  3. Taskbar frozen when waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar frozen when waking from sleep: After some googling, I see this issue has existed for a number of years now, but yet to find an actual fix rather than a very limiting workaround.Issue:Lock the computer and wait for it to sleepWake the computerLogin, and you'll find the task bar is visible, but unresponsive....
  4. Computer wont wake from sleep after adding a 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer wont wake from sleep after adding a 2nd monitor: I recently got a new 1440p monitor to replace my main monitor and hooked it up to my pc with a displayport cable. Ever since I got the monitor, whenever I try to wake the computer from sleep or even sometimes when I turn the PC on, the power light on my case will turn on, the...
  5. Computer wont wake from sleep after adding a 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer wont wake from sleep after adding a 2nd monitor: I recently got a new 1440p monitor to replace my main monitor and hooked it up to my pc with a displayport cable. Ever since I got the monitor, whenever I try to wake the computer from sleep or even sometimes when I turn the PC on, the power light on my case will turn on, the...
  6. Monitor will not wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor will not wake from sleep: I have tried many fixes found on the internet,i have changed setting after setting,created numerous power plans,tried different display port cables,i have a dell alienware 34 inch monitor,I9 9900k,asus rog maximus xi code mobo, evga ftw 2080 ti hybrid,corsair 64 gb 3200 MHz...
  7. Second monitor is frozen when waking from sleep, but is still active.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second monitor is frozen when waking from sleep, but is still active.: So I am still able to open programs on that monitor and drag them across, but the image is frozen to whatever was on the monitor before sleeping. I have tried a few things including the troubleshoot, choosing default power options, taking off quickstart, reinstalling the...
  8. Frozen Mouse After Wake From Sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Frozen Mouse After Wake From Sleep: Hi All, I just recently received my new Alienware Aurora R5 desktop computer and I'm having issues with my SteelSeries Sensei wired mouse freezing after waking the computer from sleep. This includes the CPI high/low button not responding after waking from sleep even though...
  9. 2nd monitor slow to wake up.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    2nd monitor slow to wake up.: Lenovo B50 with W10. After a recent upgrade (a forced windows upgrade) this problem began. Not a W10 install but a periodic Windows upgrade. Prior to the upgrade there were no issues. I have dual monitors and the #2 monitor takes 5+ minutes to wake up. It does this both...
  10. Repeated wake ups after sleep commands, okay before last update

in Windows 10 Support
    Repeated wake ups after sleep commands, okay before last update: A few days ago there seemed to be a large update to Win10, after this update I noticed that I was asked to speak into my mic certain phrases in order that Cortana could understand me. I have never used it nor do I think I need to. That aside I also found that when I clicked...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 2nd monitor freezing on wakeup from sleep