Windows 10: 2nd Monitor programs start up on wrong screen

Discus and support 2nd Monitor programs start up on wrong screen in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Why does my programs keep switching back from my 2nd monitor to my 1st monitor? And, please do not tell me to pull the program over to the 2nd monitor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SHenley1968, Sep 15, 2020.

1. 2nd Monitor programs start up on wrong screen

Why does my programs keep switching back from my 2nd monitor to my 1st monitor? And, please do not tell me to pull the program over to the 2nd monitor and close, that it will reopen back to the 2nd monitor. This does not work. This started about a month ago - probably after an update. I've been using this 2nd monitor for years with no problem. No matter what I do, when I open Chrome it goes to the 1st monitor which is my laptop after I've closed it from the 2nd monitor. I close from the 2nd monitor minimized or not and it still opens back up on the 1st.

:)

SHenley1968, Sep 15, 2020
  2. roninrr2 Win User

Cannot get non-connected 2nd Monitor screen moved to Laptop Screen?

This is kind of hard to explain in a Subject line.

I have a USB Docking station set up at home with 2 large monitors, keyboard, printers, etc. connected to the docking station -- all plugged into a Laptop, whose screen is also active. Works great - Window's magic, I guess. I also have several programs
    set up to come up (screen display) on the 2nd or 3rd Monitor screens when they are loaded.

My problem is, if (when) I just unplug the USB cable to the Docking station and take my Laptop over to a friends house, when I load one of the programs that comes up on one of my monitors, the program comes up and loads correctly (i.e. shows up on the taskbar
    as running) - but the display is someplace in outer space because the 2nd (or 3rd) monitor is not there.

And for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get the screen display (which the program apparently thinks is being correctly displayed on my 2nd monitor) moved over to my Laptop screen.

DETECT in the Settings\Display screen does not find any extra monitors (because they are not there) and the Extend and other options under the Windows-P Project option does not seem to help -- and many of the suggested fixes document steps involving options
    that are apparently for older versions of Windows because many of the steps don't match the options on my version of Windows, which is the very latest Windows 10 update.

Surely there must be a simple way to fix this, but I have spent oven an hour trying to figure it out.

[P.S. I finally got the screen from the 2nd monitor to display on my Laptop screen, BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I DID TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN.]

ron in round rock

roninrr2, Sep 15, 2020
  3. polkmoore Win User
    2nd Monitor Not Opening Programs

I am using Samsung TV (brand new) as a 2nd monitor for a ThinkPad laptop with Windows 10. I have it set to "Extend" and can see the desktop and task bar on the screen. When I open something on my laptop, it works just fine. When I try to open something on the monitor, it displays it on my laptop. Nothing will open only on my 2nd monitor. What am I doing wrong?

polkmoore, Sep 15, 2020
  4. JD Meyer Win User

2nd Monitor programs start up on wrong screen

Color Display on 2nd monitor

I am using Windows 10 on a Dell laptop with a 2nd monitor which has been working fine. For some unknown reason I have suddenly lost the full color range on the 2nd monitor. I don't know if I have changed some setting by accident or what. I have tried
    resetting the defaults but that didn't change anything on the 2nd monitor. The primary screen on the laptop continues to work fine. Any suggestions what needs to be done to restore the full color range on monitor #2?

JD Meyer, Sep 15, 2020
Thema:

2nd Monitor programs start up on wrong screen

1. 2nd Monitor programs start up on wrong screen - Similar Threads - 2nd Monitor programs

2. Wrong resolution recommendation on 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong resolution recommendation on 2nd monitor: Hi community,Couple of days ago I decided to upgrade to windows 11 and now my 2nd monitor resolution decided not to work. I'm using a Dell Latitude 5520 and since it only has one HDMI connector I'm using 2 monitors without the laptop's screen the 2nd monitor is connected with...
  3. Wrong resolution recommendation on 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong resolution recommendation on 2nd monitor: Hi community,Couple of days ago I decided to upgrade to windows 11 and now my 2nd monitor resolution decided not to work. I'm using a Dell Latitude 5520 and since it only has one HDMI connector I'm using 2 monitors without the laptop's screen the 2nd monitor is connected with...
  4. 2nd monitor set up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2nd monitor set up: When attempting to connect 2nd monitor to pc running a hdmi cable from 2nd monitor to a dvi/hdmi adapter on computer I lose video display on the 1st monitor? How can this be fixed?Thank you.pm...
  5. 2nd monitor set up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2nd monitor set up: When attempting to connect 2nd monitor to pc running a hdmi cable from 2nd monitor to a dvi/hdmi adapter on computer I lose video display on the 1st monitor? How can this be fixed?Thank you.pm...
  6. Even in Full Screen Program, Mouse Wheel Scrolls 2nd Monitor.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Even in Full Screen Program, Mouse Wheel Scrolls 2nd Monitor.: I just upgraded to Windows 10. I play Subnautica on my left monitor, full screened. If I move the mouse to the right for a while, the Windows mouse cursor is actually in my 2nd (right) monitor but I can't see it. If I move the mouse wheel up and down it still acts as it...
  7. Start Menu Hotkey - 2nd Monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Hotkey - 2nd Monitor: Does anyone know if there is a setting for the windows key to open the start menu on the currently active monitor second monitor instead of the the primary monitor?...
  8. 2nd screen malfunction on dual monitor set up.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2nd screen malfunction on dual monitor set up.: After I leave my computer inactive but still on I lose access to one of my screens. I have a dual monitor set up and one just goes black. When I shut my computer off and turn it back on one the monitor is black and not working. However, the 2nd monitor starts to work...
  9. 2nd monitor slow to wake up.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    2nd monitor slow to wake up.: Lenovo B50 with W10. After a recent upgrade (a forced windows upgrade) this problem began. Not a W10 install but a periodic Windows upgrade. Prior to the upgrade there were no issues. I have dual monitors and the #2 monitor takes 5+ minutes to wake up. It does this both...
  10. 2nd Monitor Not Opening Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    2nd Monitor Not Opening Programs: I am using Samsung TV (brand new) as a 2nd monitor for a ThinkPad laptop with Windows 10. I have it set to "Extend" and can see the desktop and task bar on the screen. When I open something on my laptop, it works just fine. When I try to open something on the monitor, it...