Windows 10: 2nd SSD Disappears After System Reboot

Discus and support 2nd SSD Disappears After System Reboot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, Been awhile since I posted anything but have an interesting issue on my Dell Latitude E5440 laptop running Win10 Pro x64 (add'l system specs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by knight1fox3, Jun 19, 2020.

1. 2nd SSD Disappears After System Reboot

Hello,

Been awhile since I posted anything but have an interesting issue on my Dell Latitude E5440 laptop running Win10 Pro x64 (add'l system specs below/attached). I recently replaced the ODD with an HDD/SSD caddy and Kingston 480GB SSD to be used as a secondary data storage drive. I thought all was well in doing this until I performed a soft reboot (normally I just use sleep/suspend). Upon reboot I was surprised to find my secondary SSD had disappeared from file explorer (the drive never stops responding while actually working in Windows). It's not detected in Win Disk Management or IRST. Only when I physically disconnect/reconnect is the drive detected by Windows again. I read some other suggested remedies where installing IRST and then disabling Link Power Mgmt (which I've already done) was supposed to correct certain connectivity issues. But alas not for my particular situation. My Win10 OS build is 19041.329 and I've also attached a system report from IRST which shows the Kingston SSD as being detected and functioning normally from what I can tell. I can connect the drive to a different system and it also is detected normally while seemingly functioning fine. But for some reason upon reboot of this particular system, the drive doesn't show up again until I physically disconnect/reconnect. Very strange but looking for any suggestions on attempting to correct the issue. I found a similar discussion which is very close to my issue at the following thread but some of the suggested remedies do not apply. The system hardware configuration is different and as you may have guessed, the Dell laptop BIOS options are rather limited. BTW, I have since tried updating all system drivers and the BIOS without any success but the issue persists. SATA controller is configured for AHCI mode. Thank you in advance for taking a look at this. Let me know if I can provide any additional information/screen captures which may be helpful.
    IRST_SystemReport.txt

:)

knight1fox3, Jun 19, 2020
  2. dgpretzel Win User

Disappearing SSD Syndrome

Thank you for the information. I have built a new system, and am struggling with a disappearing SSD.

Q: Do you have any suggestions for dealing with a disappearing SSD that is an M.2 device. That is, it doesn't have separate SATA data and power connection-- just the motherboard slot. I have a Plextor M6e SSD plugged in to the M.2 slot on an ASUS Z97 Deluxe 3.1 MB.

Thank you for any comments.

Regards,

DG

dgpretzel, Jun 19, 2020
  3. mauriek Win User
    Disappearing SSD Syndrome

similar thing just happened to me few days ago, my Windows Hung and after hard reboot, BIOS find my Patriot Pyro 120GB SSD but it keep disappearing from windows explorer after a while, change it to Fujitsu 120GB SSD but after a while it happened again, change it to Kingston SSD 30GB repair with windows repair disc, reboot and after a while it disappear again, last night i change it to Pyro SE 240 and change all 10 of my Sata cable, reinstall fresh and now it seem ok (12 hours), maybe it is my sata cable shorting, because later when i use my old cable one of my drive will disappear, too lazy check one by one because i sleeve 10 sata cable to 1, but i'm still not sure, to tired to test it again for now.

mauriek, Jun 19, 2020
  4. 2BearArmy Win User

2nd SSD Disappears After System Reboot

Random Disappearing/Reappearing SSD on Boot

Config:

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3
    OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 480GB SSD
    Corsair 850W PSU
    2x HD 6950 GPU's

My desktop has a 480GB SSD main drive (OS and games), and two secondary HDD's for media storage.

I have had no issues with this SSD, until I tried to add a second video card to my system, and subsequently had to remove it. After a couple re-installs and finally getting the Crossfire to work, I am still in this broken state.

Symptom:

If I put my computer to sleep, restart, power down, it is a complete gamble as to whether or not the system will see the boot drive. What is consistent, is that after a seemingly random interval, it will eventually see the drive and boot straight to windows.

Troubleshooting Steps:

• Reset Bios
    • Removed all other options for bootable devices
    • Re-installed Windows
    • Updated all OS drivers
    • Updated firmware for both the MoBo bios and the SSD.
    • Replaced all SATA cables
    • Moved to another SATA controller port
    • Switched power cables
    • SSDLife came back saying the drive is healthy
    I am literally out of ideas at this point, and the issue is extremely annoying. Sometimes my boot times are 30 seconds (if it sees the drive) sometimes it's 20 minutes (constant reboots until it sees the drive).

Anyone have any other ideas, or have seen this before?

2BearArmy, Jun 19, 2020
Thema:

2nd SSD Disappears After System Reboot

1. 2nd SSD Disappears After System Reboot - Similar Threads - 2nd SSD Disappears

2. Drives Disappear After Restart or Reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drives Disappear After Restart or Reboot: - If one of your drives, other than the drive where Windows is installed, does not appear when you switch on or restart the computer;1- Switch off the computer completely, disconnect the power and wait for 10 seconds.2- Restart the computer again and check if your drivers...
  3. Drives Disappear After Restart or Reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drives Disappear After Restart or Reboot: - If one of your drives, other than the drive where Windows is installed, does not appear when you switch on or restart the computer;1- Switch off the computer completely, disconnect the power and wait for 10 seconds.2- Restart the computer again and check if your drivers...
  4. Office products disappeared after reboot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office products disappeared after reboot.: Win10, Office 365 family.Working with Excel. Thunderstorm. Shutdown PC.Restarted PC, the icons for Excel and Word are in my startup menu.....I click, they disappear.Can't find Excel or Word or any office product. I click on the Office icon and it launches Office. I click on...
  5. Office products disappeared after reboot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Office products disappeared after reboot.: Win10, Office 365 family.Working with Excel. Thunderstorm. Shutdown PC.Restarted PC, the icons for Excel and Word are in my startup menu.....I click, they disappear.Can't find Excel or Word or any office product. I click on the Office icon and it launches Office. I click on...
  6. Office products disappeared after reboot.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Windows crashes and SSD disappears until forced reboot

Windows crashes and SSD disappears until forced reboot: As of a few days ago I've been experiencing WHEA errors where my Windows crashes and the drive with windows disappears until I perform a forced reboot. To clarify, it boots into the BIOS where the SSD with Windows is not visible as a device at all, only my HDD which is just...
  8. SSD wiped after reboot?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD wiped after reboot?: So after installing Gigabyte RGB fusion and restarting pc my whole SSD with windows on it got wiped, i've never seen this before! Lost all my documents in the process (luckily i had a backup from 2 years ago...) How is this even possible? submitted by /u/TheAngryRedBull...
  9. SSD disappeared from system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD disappeared from system: My computer hasbeen experiencing freezes and crashes so I decided to reinstall windows. When running the windows installer from a USB, the installer came up with the dialogue "Windows could not format a partition on Disk 1". I googled solutions and according to a website...
  10. 2nd Internal HDD Disappears after Restart

2nd Internal HDD Disappears after Restart: I am Having an Issue, I have a 120 GB SSD as my Primary Drive and a 2 TB secondary HDD, Everything works fine if I Turn the machine on, but if I restart the machine my 2nd HDD (the 2TB one) disappears from Windows. I have to Shut Down ans power back up to get it back. Dell...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssd gone after boot

2. windows ssd disappear