Windows 10: 2nd SSD installation causing BSOD

Discus and support 2nd SSD installation causing BSOD in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I have a new Dell Inspiron 15 7591 laptop. The laptop has room for two M.2 NVMe PCIe 3x4 drives, one of which has been filled by the SSD that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Hudd19, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Hudd19 Win User

2nd SSD installation causing BSOD

Hello,

I have a new Dell Inspiron 15 7591 laptop. The laptop has room for two M.2 NVMe PCIe 3x4 drives, one of which has been filled by the SSD that came with the laptop, and an additional space for a 2.5" Sata hard drive therefore giving me 3 drives for storage.

This is the laptop I have.

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/lap...n-15-7000/spd/inspiron-15-7591-laptop/cn79105

I have recently successfully upgraded the memory and added a Samsung 860 Evo Sata SSD in the laptop.

The problem arises when I try to add a second NVMe SSD Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen3X4 in the second M.2 NVMe slot as a storage drive only. After installation I boot up the computer, however it immediately goes to the BSOD with the stopcode "Kernal Security Check Failure" and then it restarts and keeps on looping to the BSOD and restarting. I cannot bootup to the Windows home screen and the only option I have is to press F2 on the Dell logo screen before it reaches the BSOD, which takes me to the BIOS Settings menu. I don't know much about the settings here but on the systems information page it does recognise the second NVMe drive I have installed.

Can anyone help me? This is the first time I have done any upgrades on my laptop and having searched the web there doesn't seem to be any cases similar to the one I'm experiencing.

Any help would be much appreciated. If you require further information from me please let me know.

Many thanks

:)

Hudd19, Dec 23, 2019
  2. KTR
    ktr Win User

Installing XP : IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Boot in step-by-step confirmation mode, and see what service or drive is causing the bsod.

3. konyciua Win User
    Getting all kinds of BSOD while installing Windows 10 on an empty SSD

I was receiving a BSOD every 1-4 weeks (while working on Windows 10), wasn't able to figure out the cause of it. Tested RAM, SSD, all were good and I didn't pay too much attention.

Yesterday I've received another BSOD, didn't mind it, PC restarted and I saw a Windows message of "Automatic repair", which then resulted into "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete.". Left it there for another 10 or so hours - it
    was still running. Shut down the PC, took out the SSD (Samsung EVO 850, bought 6 months ago), backed up all the data, cleaned it, formatted and now trying to install windows on an empty SSD. Using a USB. These are the BSODs that I'm currently receiving when
    trying to launch a Windows installation (by the way, same BSODs were appearing earlier "when everything was fine"):

• IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
    • SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION
    • KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE
    • NTFS FILE SYSTEM
    • MULTIPLE IRP COMPLETE REQUESTS
    • BAD POOL HEADER
    Already tried:

• reformatting the SSD
    • reformatting the USB and flashing Windows installation to it
    • tried using another USB
    • switching RAM sticks (in total there are 4 of them, 8 GB each)
    • BIOS default
    PC parts:

• Motherboard: Asus B350-PLUS
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 1700
    • RAM: G.Skill Flare X DDR4-2400 (4x8GB)
    • SSD: Samsung 850 EVO (500 GB)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

konyciua, Dec 23, 2019
  4. ZacOng Win User

BSOD cause by ntkrnlmp.exe SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Hi Eric, actually this issue persists when I started to use this new laptop, therefore I had run a fresh windows , however this issue still persists. BSOD happens occasionally, and I found out that no BSOD occur if I turn off the fast startup feature.

For your information, I had installed an extra slot of 4 gigs RAM during the purchase of this laptop

Acer A515-51G-50AC

Intel -8250U CPU

4 (inboard) + 4 (slotted ram stick) RAM

Nvidia MX150 2GB DDR5 GPU

1TB HDD + 120 GB SSD

ZacOng, Dec 23, 2019
Thema:

1. 2nd SSD installation causing BSOD - Similar Threads - 2nd SSD installation

2. Newly installed 2nd NVMe SSD not visible in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Newly installed 2nd NVMe SSD not visible in Windows Explorer: Hello, I just installed a new, second NVMe SSD in my desktop and I do not see it in Windows Explorer or Disk Management.The new hard drive is visible in BIOS and it looks normal there. It is visible in Device Manager and looks normal under the Properties -> General tab, but...
  3. BSOD 2nd thread

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD 2nd thread: I was told by the user questions_ that when I didn't see a reply in 24 hours I should start a new thread.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bsod/e576bd27-79cc-4d05-803a-b1a9d10aad07So I got a new BSOD after replacing the RAM modulesMinidump:...
  4. Adding 2nd SSD and dcp_watchdog_violation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Adding 2nd SSD and dcp_watchdog_violation: My girlfriend has an Hp Pavilion x360 convertible. I don’t have it in front of me so I am unsure of the exact model number. But it was having issues with freezing when doing simple tasks. The ssd it came with was only a little over 100 gb and had less than 5gb of free space....
  5. Installed 2nd internal HD SSD

Installed 2nd internal HD SSD: I've installed a 2nd HD in my Acer ATC-710, It is not recognized by Windows 10. Help please. Doug Reed *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installed-2nd-internal-hd-ssd/00451f62-2c60-45b8-90c5-0a5564e3a3c1
  6. Broken SSD causing BSOD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Broken SSD causing BSOD?: I‘ve had a Crucial BX500 SSD in my PC for almost two years and it recently started causing it to freeze and BSOD. WhoCrashed tells me that "ntoskrnl.exe" is causing it. The drive has no bad sectors, it triggers the BSOD when mounted inside via SATA and also while in a USB...
  7. New SSD causing multiple BSOD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New SSD causing multiple BSOD: I have an Acer Aspire TIMELINE X, i3. Recently bought a new SSD - Emtec X150 480 GB. After I install Windows and do all the updates, I get multiple blue screens of death, like: Unexpected store exception CRITICAL PROCESS DIED Kernel data inpage error Memory Management...
  8. Problem adding 2nd ssd

Problem adding 2nd ssd: I have an ssd for my boot drive, trying to add a 2nd ssd. The ssd is ok tested it externally with a USB adapter, but when I install it to my pc, it’s not showing in the bios or windows. tried known power supply and Sata lead, but still not showing. any ideas please 127747
  9. 2nd Monitor, HDMI, Causing Crash BSOD

2nd Monitor, HDMI, Causing Crash BSOD: When powering on 2nd monitor, a Sony flat screen, system crashes with BSOD and SYSTEM_THREAD_..... (atimdag.sys) error message. Using AMD's latest Win10 drivers, also tried the Beta release. No change. Uninstalled drivers and reinstalled. No change. ANy ideas? Radeon 5670...
  10. SSD causes slow Windows, IDE controller causes BSOD

SSD causes slow Windows, IDE controller causes BSOD: Hey, I am currently running a Toshiba DT01ACA300 SATA 3TB HDD on my computer connected through a SATA 3G port, and the BIOS' SATA controller mode is set to AHCI. My friend gave me an SSD (120GB 6Gb/s Patriot Blast SATA3) because it had his Windows installation files that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. new ssd bsod

2. second hd causing bsod