Windows 10: 2tb Hdd is failing need to backup data ASAP

Discus and support 2tb Hdd is failing need to backup data ASAP in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; As title says, My 2 TB is around 7 years old i think. Recently my computer has slowed to an extreme crawl despite multiple checkdisk repairs, fresh... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Venom28567, Jan 21, 2021.

1. 2tb Hdd is failing need to backup data ASAP

As title says, My 2 TB is around 7 years old i think. Recently my computer has slowed to an extreme crawl despite multiple checkdisk repairs, fresh windows installs. Now its become apparent the hdd is dying. I have 6 years worth of important data, which amounts to roughly 1.2 TB that i need to back up before the drive dies completely
    Regular copy pasting to extrnal isnt working as im getting speeds of 1mb/s.

I've read about cloning hdd vs making image of hdd vs backup. No idea of which is better, or wat program is best for it Not sure what to do, Need help guys. Not sure how much life the hdd has left, or how many restarts.

Thx in advance.

submitted by /u/Venom28567
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Venom28567, Jan 21, 2021
  2. FrankJBUK Win User

Windows 10 Restore from Backup fails for a 2TB external HDD

Would be really grateful if someone can help!

I made a windows 10 back up on a new Seagate 3TB external HDD of my 2TB external data storage HDD.

After accidentally formatting my data HDD (I know!!) I have not been able to recover all the files with Recuva - so I am trying to do a restore of my 1 month old W10 Back up.

However, the Restore process always stops and tells me that the zip file #45 cannot be validated (but I can see the individual files OK in my zip program) - As there are thousands of these zip files (2TB worth) , I cant feasibly restore them one by one!

The message I keep getting is

"Restore encountered a problem while validating the zip file

\\?\Volume{24526fee-e674-4fa3-b591-8b95a8528d12}\DAD-PC\Backup Set 2016-04- 14 193507\Backup Files 2016-04 14 193507\Backup files 45.zip

The following information might help you resolve the problem:

The backup file cannot be found. Make sure the drive that the backup is saved on is attached or try to restore from a different backup. (0x8100001A)"

But the zip file is there and its contents can be seen! Is it worth trying to repair it at all (extracting it & then re-zipping it?)

I am not very good with too much detail of complex methods, so something simple (or at least explained simply to me!) would be great....

Any help very gratefully welcomed.

Cheers

Frank

FrankJBUK, Jan 21, 2021
  3. PratikC Win User
    Laptop HDD fail, Shows partition but can not copy data, testdisk MBR code fail

I use 2TB HDD in my laptop with 250 GB partition for windows 10 and rest for data storage. I switched my laptop so moved the HDD from old to new laptop and started the system. Windows logo came up but within a minute laptop crashed and then after nothing
    worked. I took out the HDD and plugged externally to another windows 10 system where it shows both the partition mounted with their respective sizes. When I open the drive it shows folders as well but when I open or copy any of the folder it gives error "The
    device is not ready".

I tried using minitool and recuva data recovery but it failed to detect anything.

Then I plugged the HDD externally to Ubuntu system. Gparted shows 3 partitions, 1) ntfs system reserved 549 MiB, 2) ntfs Windows 250 GiB, 3) ntfs 1.57 TiB. But the direct data copy or testdisk fails. I used testdisk to analyse lost partitions but nothing
    is reported, even in deep search. I then used the MBR code but even that failed.

I have important data in Data partition so I do not want to take risky steps. So I am now posting this question for help.

Kindly suggest how to rescue the data on the disk.

Thanks a lot in advance.

PratikC, Jan 21, 2021
  4. 2tb Hdd is failing need to backup data ASAP

Data Backup

RAID is so often misunderstood. It offers only the following:

1./ Faster disk system, and/or
    2./ Additional "redundant" HDDs, so if one HDD fails, a copy of the data is still there. The RAID system automatically recovers.

As Dan said, that is a live copy, NOT BACKUP. If you delete or overwrite a file it's GONE! If the server catches fire, has a brown out, or is stolen, the data is GONE!

You need a physically seperate backup system.

The simplest system is a NAS (basically a cut down server that only does filesharing). You then run a backup overnight when the network isnt busy.

Alternatively, use a USB or Firewire 1TB HDD and connect it to the server and run a backup of key folders.

**NOTE**
    Do read up on good backup practice. It is a good idea to use grandfathering techniques, and for most people, NOT to backup every night, but once or week. Reason: your *new* backup overwrites an old backup. But only after the backup, you realise you need to recover from the old backup. Data lost, unless you grandfather.

It is more likely that a user error will mean that you need to go back to the archive to recover files, than due to hardware failure. Therefore, plan your backup strategy accordingly.

lemonadesoda, Jan 21, 2021
Thema:

2tb Hdd is failing need to backup data ASAP

1. 2tb Hdd is failing need to backup data ASAP - Similar Threads - 2tb Hdd failing

2. 2TB HDD - Need to Reorganize Partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2TB HDD - Need to Reorganize Partitions: Hello,I recently installed a new 2TB HDD and I had trouble defining the Partitions. For some reason Win10 set up the Partitions for me. I ended up with aa C:\ and D:\ with both having capacities of ~950GB. I want to eliminate D: and use that space in C:. I moved some files...
  3. 2TB HDD - Need to Reorganize Partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2TB HDD - Need to Reorganize Partitions: Hello,I recently installed a new 2TB HDD and I had trouble defining the Partitions. For some reason Win10 set up the Partitions for me. I ended up with aa C:\ and D:\ with both having capacities of ~950GB. I want to eliminate D: and use that space in C:. I moved some files...
  4. 2TB HDD - Need to Reorganize Partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Issues with Seagate 2tb Ultraslim HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with Seagate 2tb Ultraslim HDD: Hi everyone. I am running Win 11 on an Acer Nitro AN515-55 I have a Seagate 2TB UltraSlim external hard drive. Last November my laptop started to update without my knowledge and froze. I rebooted and the laptop was stuck in boot. I realized the external hard drive was still...
  6. Need help recovering data on hdd

Need help recovering data on hdd: I recently installed the windows 21H1 update and I went to click on my common folder in steam D:Program Files x86\Steam\steamapps\common and it said folder is missing or moved. Now I cannot use any games in steam as the entire steam library is downloaded to there. It appears...
  7. Need help Asap!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need help Asap!: so i made a pretty stupid mistake recently, i opened dev manager and then updated all my usb hubs with a different type then after a few seconds later my keyboard and mouse stopped working but when i enter bios it works.... is there a way to reset my dev manager to default?...
  8. Need help ASAP

Need help ASAP: Hi, I am using a lenovo legion laptop. In it Touch pad is not working and couldn't found in device manager also. can you please help me to sort it out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-asap/da45d886-e153-45f4-96a1-298429da1f66
  9. 2TB HDD Data Only Non-Boot - Format to MBR or GPT??

2TB HDD Data Only Non-Boot - Format to MBR or GPT??: Am using / installing a new 2TB HDD drive. Quick Info: - 2TB capacity WD - Will be a Data only drive, not OS or Boot Drive - Will most likely only have one or two partitions at most on the new drive - ASUS i5 Motherboard supports HDD's > 2TB and worked well with 3TB...
  10. Temperature for Seagate 2TB HDD ?

Temperature for Seagate 2TB HDD ?: Hi So i'm using a Seagate 2TB SATA 3 with 7200 RPM hard drive and just wanted to know what are the normal temps for it ? When in idle the HDD's temp is 42'C and when gaming it goes up to 55'C. If anyone has some info on this i'd greatly appreciate it because i don't know...