Windows 10: 2TB USB Drive appears to copy files but does not

Discus and support 2TB USB Drive appears to copy files but does not in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a 2TB USB drive ... I can copy files but at some point it appears that files are copied but only the folder exists once I remove the drive from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by petsrgolden, Jul 21, 2017.

1. 2TB USB Drive appears to copy files but does not

I have a 2TB USB drive ... I can copy files but at some point it appears that files are copied but only the folder exists once I remove the drive from the computer and go to read it later. I had this same issue with 512G micro SD cards although those gave a generic Windows error message.
    Does anyone know what I need to do to be able to write to the entire drive?

:)

petsrgolden, Jul 21, 2017

2. Safely remove hardware and eject

Hi Mark

The problem only happened after the latest Windows 10 upgrade around 3 days ago.
    I have a usb keyboard and a usb Samsung 2tb drive connected to my computer.
    USB Device Manager is not showing in the Devices and Printers list.
    When I insert a card in the card reader slot it is recognised by the safely remove icon which tells me that I can remove it, I have just inserted a usb stick which it recognised but it does not recognise
    my Samsung usb drive so it must have something to do with the 2tb drive.
    File Explorer has them listed so I can access information on my 2tb drive, its just that I do not want to remove it until the system says I can

kind regards

Ed

Ed Confused, Jul 21, 2017
  3. petrib Win User
    i cant install anything on my 5320,when i udate my phone

Can you connect the phone in USB mass storage (data transfer) mode to your PC (so that it appears to Windows like a regular USB memory drive)?

If you try, what happens? Does it become visible as a removable USB drive with a drive letter under My Computer in Windows Explorer or not?

If it does, then - as I stated originally - copy the installation files to the drive.

Then disconnect the cable and try installing with the File Manager or Application Manager on the phone.

petrib, Jul 21, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

2TB USB Drive appears to copy files but does not

Are you properly ejecting the drive before removing it?

cereberus, Jul 21, 2017
  5. Yes, it works fine for a while. I have about 58GB that copied fine before this problem started occurring. Just taking it out versus ejecting it had the same results. It will create the folder but it does not copy the contents. If the folder has sub-folders they are created without the contents.

petsrgolden, Jul 21, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    I would copy a few Gigabytes at a time.

What's the company that made the 2TB USB drive? Is it a well known company, or was it one you bought from eBay for cheap for like $20 or $30?

pepanee, Jul 21, 2017
  7. me75006 Win User
    If you have a different usb port to test with
    or
    you have another computer to test the usb drive on, you might find more about what is happening with what device.

me75006, Jul 22, 2017
  8. 2TB USB Drive appears to copy files but does not

I have tried on another computer with the same results. I got the USB drive on Amazon but it is generic. I think the issue has to do with the size and format. Wondering if anyone knows a tool for formatting a 2 TB drive, the windows format tool only provides for 0.00032768 TB.

petsrgolden, Jul 22, 2017
  9. pepanee Win User
    Hmmmhhh.. Since you get the same issue on a different computer, it might be the stick itself. Formatting sounds like a good idea, so try to reformat it (Right click on it in File Explorer > Format). Try different settings for the formats, and see how it works. But you are likely to get the same results.

I searched on Amazon for a generic 2 TB USB drive, and found this: Amazon.com: 2TB USB Flash Drive USB 2.0 Flash Memory Stick Fold Storage Thumb Stick Pen Black: Computers Accessories

It's for $19.99 (excluding shipping) Yet look at the amount of 1 Stars it got... =\

It's best to get a brand name (made in the USA) USB stick.

pepanee, Jul 22, 2017
  10. Berton Win User
    Looks like the formatting is trying to do FAT32 and that has a limit of 32GB with Windows, have to use a third-party software. Or format it as NTFS or exFAT, only choices in Windows Disk Management for large drives. It is necessary to use NTFS or exFAT for single file size of 4GB plus 1 Byte, can't be done with FAT32 due to its 4GB limit.

Berton, Jul 22, 2017
  11. jumanji Win User
    Hi petsrgolden,

I would recommend this : 4 Tools to Test and Detect Fake or Counterfeit USB Flash Drives https://www.raymond.cc/blog/test-and...-with-h2testw/ The second one "FakeFlashTest is quite new so includes optimizations and methods better suited for today’s flash media."
    ( From the time I read your first post I was assuming that your "2TB USB drive " was an external HDD and was wondering what is this and how can it happen and gave up on it.. It never struck to my barren brain that you are referring to a flash drive. OMG, what an idiot I am !!!!!!! )

jumanji, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

2TB USB Drive appears to copy files but does not

1. 2TB USB Drive appears to copy files but does not - Similar Threads - 2TB USB Drive

2. 0x80070570 Error Copying to 2TB USB Flash DriveS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    0x80070570 Error Copying to 2TB USB Flash DriveS: Dell Inspiron Gaming 7567 Laptop with i7/32GB/500GB SDD WITH w10 PRO and MS365 Subscription, PLUS external HDDs: Western Digital MyBook 1 TB and Seagate 4TB. I bought a 2TB USB and began copying folders/files too it. Seemed to work, ended normally. Went to read files and...
  3. 0x80070570 Error Copying to 2TB USB Flash DriveS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0x80070570 Error Copying to 2TB USB Flash DriveS: Dell Inspiron Gaming 7567 Laptop with i7/32GB/500GB SDD WITH w10 PRO and MS365 Subscription, PLUS external HDDs: Western Digital MyBook 1 TB and Seagate 4TB. I bought a 2TB USB and began copying folders/files too it. Seemed to work, ended normally. Went to read files and...
  4. 0x80070570 Error Copying to 2TB USB Flash DriveS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't copy files to USB drive because of encryption on unencrypted usb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't copy files to USB drive because of encryption on unencrypted usb drive: Hi @ all,i set up a new device with a barely configured intune tenant.Now i wanted to copy some files from this client to an usb drive but win10 always tells me it's encrypted while it is not.This prevents me from copying files.Win10 version is 20h2.Someone already heard of...
  6. USB Drives with 2TB not recognizing no media problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB Drives with 2TB not recognizing no media problem: [ATTACH] Hi guys. I have a problem. When I insert a 2 TB Usb Drive into my laptop, my laptop detects it but it doesn't recognize it and I check in disk management and it says no media. Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  7. USB 3.0 2TB drive extremely slow

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3.0 2TB drive extremely slow: Ok, I got an external usb 3.0 drive and thought it was defective at first because on windows 10 it is extremely slow and looking at monitor I can see it pass more time pause then anything. But then I made the test on linux and wow it is unbelievably fast. The problem is...
  8. Can't copy files to network usb drive

Can't copy files to network usb drive: I can't copy files to network usb drive. I can copy from the network drive to the computer. Plus I can't make a new folder in windows 10 too on the network drive. It is almost like the drive is in like ready only state in windows 10. I have no problems with windows 7. I can...
  9. Unable to copy all files to USB flash drive

Unable to copy all files to USB flash drive: Hi, I purchased two 128GB usb flash drive to backup several files. But when the size or number of files exceed a limit - which is not big and it is less than 2000 number of files - it gives an error. Then when I open the drive, all other already-copied files are also...
  10. Copy WinSXS file to usb drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Copy WinSXS file to usb drive: I have two desktops - exactly same specs - Windows 10 10240. One runs SFC Scannow showing no corruption and DISM with no errors. The other has corruption but SFC can't fix and Dism can't find source files. My thinking is if I can use the 1st pc's WinSXS files to run DISM,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. corruption occurring in transfer of files from ntfs to exfat drives