Windows 10: 3.0 TB exterior Haed drive

Discus and support 3.0 TB exterior Haed drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not,my wife got me a 3TB exterior hard drive for christmas. I plugged it to my Hp 32 bit .Pc on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jerrypc1, Dec 24, 2015.

1. jerrypc1 Win User

3.0 TB exterior Haed drive

I don't know if this is the right place to post this or not,my wife got me a 3TB exterior hard drive for christmas. I plugged it to my Hp 32 bit .Pc on the instructions it says to plug the hard drive into a usb 3.0 port for usb 3.0 transfer speeds I have 5 usb ports on my PC but they are all 2.0 Is there an adapter to make a 2.0 usb port to a 3.0 port.might sound crazy but just thought I would ask.Thanks

:)

jerrypc1, Dec 24, 2015
  2. JVDEV# Win User

System Image Backup Fails on Windows 10 - Error codes 0x80070002, 0x807800C5, 0x80780081, 0x8078004F

Update To Original Post of Aug. 27, 2015 and Update of Aug. 30

1. I have replaced the 3 TB Seagate USB 3.0 drive with another obtained under warranty.

Aside from the fact that "Seatools" won't even begin any of the basic tests, the drive seems to

work fine, except for the original problem with the System Image Backup failing.

2. I came across the following article explaining a problem with earlier versions of Windows

which will not work with large drives that don't have 512 block sectors,

Why won't my 3TB or 4TB external drive work with Microsoft Image Backup in Windows 7? | Seagate Support

and a follow-up link to: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2510009

3. I, once again, using the same PC was successful in doing a System Image Backup to a

1 TB Seagate USB
    2.0 drive, which would tend to make one believe that 4K sectors on the

larger 3TB USB 3.0 drive was the problem, but this can’t be the entire problem as

I’ve described below. The 1 TB Seagate drive

4. Next, I tried doing a System Image Backup using an older laptop that I had upgraded to Windows 10,

using the 3TB USB 3.0 drive that had failed on my main PC.
    The System Image Backup worked!

5. I am also trying an older desktop PC with the 3 TB USB 3.0 drive, also upgraded to Windows 10, and

that backup, although not yet finished, is a couple of hours in and appears to be working as well.

6. My main PC, is the only PC of the group that has the EFI partition on the hard drive.

7. I ran “Fsutil fsino ntfsinfo x:” as explained under the above links and did find that the 1TB drive

could be allocated in 512 byte sectors whereas the 3 TB drive has a lower limitation of 4K sectors.

8. The bottom line, I still haven’t been successful in doing a System Image backup on my main PC.

The problem seems to be associated with the EFI partition on the hard drive, but this should

also cause a failure when backing up to the 1 TB drive.

JVDEV#, Dec 24, 2015
  3. SaMa3 Win User
    Windows 10 - how do i setup an external hard drive? - never done it before

The USB Toshiba exterior drive does not show up as a Drive when it is plugged in to the computer.

It used to do so but has not done so since December 6. I have Windows 10 and have uninstalled the exterior drive and re installed it several times to not avail. The Toshiba device shows when I search the drives but does not show up as a separate drive like
    it used to show.

SaMa3, Dec 24, 2015
  4. Tacit Win User

Tacit, Dec 24, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    To amplify what was written in post #2:

To get USB 3 speeds, you'd need to add an adapter card. Typically, it'd be a PCI-Express (PCI-E) X1 card. The main drawback to that is that you'd have to plug the external drive in at the back of tha machine (or use an extender cable or hub).

Such cards are fairly cheap:

Rosewill RC-508 USB 3.0 PCI-E Express Card with 4 USB 3.0 Ports, Speed Up to 5.0 Gbps - Newegg.com

The drive would be OK at USB2 speed, though. USB2 maxes out at 480 megabits pers second (60 megabytes per second). You may not get a lot more than that out of a USB 3 port.

bobkn, Dec 24, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    It's more convenient to get a dashboard that you can add to the front panel, around $30 and that's what I have in each of my PC's. It came with a board that you connect to a PCI-E slot. Just connect it and everything works, no need to install the driver from CD:
    Amazon.com: Nextrox® 5.25 Accessories

3.0 TB exterior Haed drive [​IMG]

3.0 TB exterior Haed drive [​IMG]

topgundcp, Dec 24, 2015
  7. jerrypc1 Win User
    Thanks topgun sounds great to me,I like that with all the 10 different plugin's I plan to order one right after christmas

jerrypc1, Dec 24, 2015
  8. jerrypc1 Win User

Thanks for the info Tacit I see where that would work

jerrypc1, Dec 24, 2015
  9. bobkn Win User
    Nice. Certainly worth $10 more than a plain PCI-E card.

bobkn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 3.0 TB exterior Haed drive - Similar Threads - exterior Haed drive

2. 2,1tb to 2, 3 tb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2,1tb to 2, 3 tb: Windows 11. I got a new case and putting my stuff from old computer into it. I want to replace the two, 1TB drives with two, 3TB drives that are one drive D: in storage spaces. Can I remove the 1TB's and plug and play the 3TB's? Both are same model. Or will I need to set up a...
  3. 2,1tb to 2, 3 tb

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2,1tb to 2, 3 tb: Windows 11. I got a new case and putting my stuff from old computer into it. I want to replace the two, 1TB drives with two, 3TB drives that are one drive D: in storage spaces. Can I remove the 1TB's and plug and play the 3TB's? Both are same model. Or will I need to set up a...
  4. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  5. 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3 TB Toshiba external hard drive .: 3 TB Toshiba external hard drive . Lights up when connected with the computer then shuts off The light not the drive . Troubleshooting says device cannot start code 10 . Then , problem with the driver. Says I have best driver . Tried reinstall . Reinstall fail all the time ....
  6. Recently cloned system drive from 3 TB to 6 TB drive, but now in system protection it shows...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recently cloned system drive from 3 TB to 6 TB drive, but now in system protection it shows...: Recently cloned system drive from 3 TB to 6 TB drive, but now in system protection, it shows a folder as part of the list, but it does not show up anywhere else; disk management or mini tool partition wizard...
  7. Exterior Mic

Exterior Mic: I want to use an exterior mic. How do I connect it to my PC? I have a Think Pad PC running on windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exterior-mic/3d81d9b9-4812-4289-9fe1-637e45398669
  8. 3 Tb HHD showing 16 Tb of data?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3 Tb HHD showing 16 Tb of data?: Combines storage capacity of everything on my network (which includes an 8 Tb server) is 14tb. I did shut down the server and checked properties again, same results. I've posted the results below. I have 150Gb of music files in the music folder. [ATTACH]...
  9. 3 TB Disk Allocation

3 TB Disk Allocation: I am having problems trying to allocate all of the space on a new 3 TB drive. When I installed windows 10 it installed the system files on the 500 GB SSD and allocated an additional 500 MB on Disc 0 (the 3 TB drive) for System Reserved. I have been able to create a New Volume...
  10. 3 tb hdd

3 tb hdd: Hello all, I have just installed my new WD 3TB drive into my system and everything seemed fine. I partitioned and formatted the drive without issue and went ahead loading it with my files etc. All seemed fine until I rebooted my system and now it wont boot up, In fact...