Windows 10: 3 computers in which the external monitors have reset

Discus and support 3 computers in which the external monitors have reset in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have 3 users in which their external monitors have reset back to "defaults". One user had all their monitors default to duplicate, one user had their... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by philt1980, Nov 15, 2018.

1. philt1980 Win User

3 computers in which the external monitors have reset

I have 3 users in which their external monitors have reset back to "defaults". One user had all their monitors default to duplicate, one user had their icons change to using both screens instead of the "main display" and their personal background disappeared, and the third user got a blue screen stating that there was a video card driver conflict. The only thing in common is that they recently updated to MS Windows Update 1803. I understand that 1809 is rolling out soon, but I was curious if anyone else has had this issue since the most recent Windows update.

:)

philt1980, Nov 15, 2018
  2. Pavan_N Win User

External monitor blanking often

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer and external monitor?
    • Have you installed all pending Windows and driver updates?
    • Do you get any error message?

I suggest you to install all pending Windows updates in your PC and also update Display drivers. Follow the steps below.

Step 1: I would suggest you to check and install any latest Windows Updates available.

• Go to Start and then Settings.
    • Click on Update and Recovery.
    • Check for updates under
      Windows Updates.
    • Restart the system and check if the issue is resolved.

Step 2: Please refer to the following Wiki article created by
    Andre Da Costa on How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Do let us know if you still get random black screen in the external monitor. Thank you.

Pavan_N, Nov 15, 2018
  3. Windows 10 upgrade: can no longer connect to an external monitor

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with accessing the external monitor in Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

As you have tried most of the troubleshooting steps, let us know the following to assist you better:

• What exactly happens when you try to connect to the external display?
    • Were you able to see the light on the external monitor (Tuned on/ not)?
    • Is there any error message with this issue?

Step 1: As this may look very silly, I suggest you to check if the turned on or not, if it is on let us know the color of the light displayed.

Step 2: I suggest you to remove all the external devices except mouse and keyboard and try to perform clean boot to check if there is any issue with the device and to avoid any third party software conflict.

Disclaimer: Putting your system in
    Clean Boot
    state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Hope it helps. Please perform the above methods and update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 15, 2018
  4. Romel Ram Win User

External Monitor with Quicken

Hi Mark,

It is possible that the display resolution automatically adjusts after connecting to an external monitor. For us to properly isolate this issue, we have some questions for you:

• Are you experiencing the same issue even without using the Quicken tool?
    • Have you checked if the display resolution settings of the Surface device and the external monitor is the same?
    • Have you tried checking for a graphics device driver update?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done to isolate the issue?

We're looking forward to your response.

Romel Ram, Nov 15, 2018
Thema:

1. 3 computers in which the external monitors have reset - Similar Threads - computers external monitors

2. External Monitor having resolution Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Monitor having resolution Issues: Hey there, I have a just bought a new Laptop and It has Windows 10 Preinstalled in it More details provided below. Now, I am using an External Display My old PC's Monitor which has maximum Resolution capacity - 1366 x 768 Model details given below so now if I connect my...
  3. External Monitor having resolution Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Monitor having resolution Issues: Hey there, I have a just bought a new Laptop and It has Windows 10 Preinstalled in it More details provided below. Now, I am using an External Display My old PC's Monitor which has maximum Resolution capacity - 1366 x 768 Model details given below so now if I connect my...
  4. External Monitor having resolution Issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Extending to dual external monitors on Surface Laptop 3

in Windows 10 Customization
    Extending to dual external monitors on Surface Laptop 3: I'm thinking about purchasing 2 external monitors 2x Dell 27 USB-C - P2722HE to use with my Surface Laptop 3 USBC 3.1, so that i can extend the 2 monitors via daisy chaining. USBC to USBC between the laptop and the first monitor, and then Displayport to Display port between...
  6. Having issues using Surface Laptop 3 with External Monitor with IR camera built-in!!

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Having issues using Surface Laptop 3 with External Monitor with IR camera built-in!!: I just got myself a new HP S430C monitor that has a built-in pop up IR Camera that meets the requirements for Windows Hello. I have connected my Surface Laptop 3 using a single USB-C cable. Following advice on previous posts on the community, I have disabled the camera on...
  7. Surface Laptop 3 with external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Surface Laptop 3 with external monitor: Hi All, Has anyone come across an issue with an external monitor blacking out while connected to a Surface Laptop 3? I have the laptop connected to a widescreen laptop with the Surface Dock. Both work fine however, once every hour or so the external monitor blacks out and...
  8. Dell Latitude 7400 with 3 external monitors - 3rd monitor not active

Dell Latitude 7400 with 3 external monitors - 3rd monitor not active: Hi, I normally don't post anything because it seems like every question out there is asked and answered, but I've been searching on this topic and can't find anything that solves my problem. - I have a Latitude 7400 and Dell WD19 docking station, running Windows 10 x64,...
  9. Computer resets monitor settings

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer resets monitor settings: My monitor display is dim. I adjust the monitor settings, but a few minutes later they automatically reset to their previous levels. I have turned off adaptive brightness and changed my power plan to high performance, but to no effect....
  10. Which Monitor

Which Monitor: https://www.amazon.com/LG-32MA68HY-...rs&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin:3547808011 https://www.amazon.com/LG-32MP58HQ-...rs&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin:3547808011 I think any monitor will support Windows 10? If I ever want to use this monitor in the future I should...