Windows 10: 3 RunDll32 processes opening on startup

Discus and support 3 RunDll32 processes opening on startup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, (First off, I'd like to say that I've never done one of these before, so apologies if I lack the etiquette for this situation!) I'll keep... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ChefBero, Oct 2, 2020.

1. ChefBero Win User

3 RunDll32 processes opening on startup

Hi all,

(First off, I'd like to say that I've never done one of these before, so apologies if I lack the etiquette for this situation!)

I'll keep this short and sweet:

On startup, one rundll32 process is always opening (the one highlighted in the image), and shortly after a second one appears, and then a third one. They aren't in the startup tab of task manager, but they open every time. This worries me because...

1. I have had malware / trojan issues previously on this pc, but have reset it since and all has been well, except for this.
    2. After looking online many people say that this is an indication of malware / bad business in general.

I've attached a screenshot of these in task manager as well as their file path.

Is there something wrong here?

[Windows Version number: Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.508)]

3 RunDll32 processes opening on startup [​IMG]

:)

ChefBero, Oct 2, 2020
  2. hsehestedt, Oct 2, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Windows host process rundll32 running 19 instances

That is certainly not normal, you will need to find out what processes are running on rundll32.exe

Rundll32 is just a host for other processes to run, to find out exactly what is running on this process, Click HERE to download the free ProcessExplorer
    from TechNet

The app will download in a zip file (approx 1.84mb), unzip it and run the appropriate version (32bit or 64bit) for your system by right clicking the exe and choosing 'Run as Administrator'

You’ll want to choose File - Show Details for All Processes to make sure that you’re seeing everything

Hover over the rundll32.exe in the list, you’ll see a tooltip with the details of what it actually is:

3 RunDll32 processes opening on startup 46b7762b-f570-4f67-91d6-cdbc93658a92.png

Alternatively you can right-click, choose Properties

Then take a look at the Image tab to see the full pathname that is being launched

You can see the Parent process, which in this case is the Windows shell (explorer.exe), indicating that it was likely launched from a shortcut or startup item.

3 RunDll32 processes opening on startup 5cbd5aa3-2611-42a6-887d-265e98758083.png

In general, processes running on rundll32.exe can be stopped from running when Windows starts up as follows:

• Press Windows + R keys together to open the run dialog
    • Type msconfig and hit enter
    • On the Startup Tab will be a list of processes that start with Windows
    • Check the box marked Hide all Microsoft Services'
    • Look down through the remaining list for items containing 'rundll32'
    • If you find any erroneous entries, uncheck them . . .
    • BE CAREFUL not to uncheck items like nVidia items which sometimes use rundll32

3 RunDll32 processes opening on startup a2575ab0-bcc0-4c79-abbd-5f502fa66ace.jpg

DaveM121, Oct 2, 2020
  4. DaveM121 Win User

OVER 160 RunDll32.exe in TASK MANAGER !

Have you got lots of Rundll32.exe or svchost.exe processes running, or both?

On a normal Windows 10 system, you should not have any Rundll32.exe processes running at all. Check your startup apps the see what is causing this:

• Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc together to open Task Manager, click on the Startup Tab and see if there are any entries that are starting under rundll32, if there are, disable them
    • Press WIndows + R keys together to open the run dialog, type msconfig and hit enter. Click on the services tab and check the box marked 'Hide all Microsoft Services'. Then scroll through the list of services looking for rundll32 entries, if you find any,
      uncheck them and reboot

With regards to svchost, i have noticed a huge increase in the number of these processes since the Creators Upgrade - I have 77 currently running on my system. They all are using 0% processor and HDD and on average about 1MB - 2MB, though this number does
    seem excessive . . .

DaveM121, Oct 2, 2020
Thema:

1. 3 RunDll32 processes opening on startup - Similar Threads - RunDll32 processes opening

2. This action can’t be completed because the file is open in Windows host process Rundll32

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    This action can’t be completed because the file is open in Windows host process Rundll32: Whenever I try to delete, move, or otherwise change the location of a file I am met with this error code. This only occurs in my B drive, which is an internal SATA SSD....
  3. Windows host process Rundll32 is not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows host process Rundll32 is not responding: I'm on Windows 11. Windows update pushed the following update to my computer on 28 Oct 22. <<October 25, 2022-KB5018859 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11>>Since then, I've been having printing issues with this message: Windows host...
  4. Windows host process Rundll32 is not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows host process Rundll32 is not responding: I'm on Windows 11. Windows update pushed the following update to my computer on 28 Oct 22. <<October 25, 2022-KB5018859 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11>>Since then, I've been having printing issues with this message: Windows host...
  5. Process host windows Rundll32

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Process host windows Rundll32: Hello, I'm having some trouble with updating and uninstalling programs on my PC with Windows 10 as lately a message occur telling me that "Process host windows rundll32" is running and therefore I cannot update/uninstall the program. I've already searched on internet to try...
  6. What is rundll32.exe process? Is it a virus?

in Windows 10 News
    What is rundll32.exe process? Is it a virus?: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]A lot of Windows users have doubts about whether the rundll32.exe process that they see in the Task Manager is a genuine process or a virus. The reason behind these inquiries is the paranoia created by fraud tech support companies [...] This post What is...
  7. rundll32 winscomrssv.dll error at startup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    rundll32 winscomrssv.dll error at startup: I get this error/virus after every other update and no fix will remove it. Installed the latest update today (1809 I believe) So deinstalled that update and now the problem is resolved. But when I update again the problem will be back. Here's one of the fixes I tried...
  8. Two 'Windows host process (Rundll32)' on Startup tab in Task manager

in Windows 10 Support
    Two 'Windows host process (Rundll32)' on Startup tab in Task manager: As the title: I noticed Windows startup was slow, so I wanted to disable some startup apps, and noticed there are 2 Windows host process (Rundll32) - each of them has Startup impact: medium Is one of them a malware? 69586
  9. Why is Windows Host Process (Rundll32) in my Startup?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is Windows Host Process (Rundll32) in my Startup?: Why is there a Windows Host Process (Rundll32) in my Startup tab in Task Manager? I'm not sure if this is a Windows 10 default action, or if it came from some program I installed. Shouldn't rundll32.exe start automatically if it's needed? It's not a virus, I'm...
  10. rundll32.exe opens and closes continiously

in Windows 10 Support
    rundll32.exe opens and closes continiously: All this started back in early August, or about the time "Windows Creator" was installed. I have sound notifications for processes that open or close, a paranoia from long ago, or I would have never known this was going on. rundll32.exe continuously opens and closes...