Windows 10: 3-second lag when launching programs

Discus and support 3-second lag when launching programs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; UPDATE: Well, I suffered with this for a number of months, but the recent major update (2015/11/11) seems to have fixed it, so case closed. Hi, I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sgt panties, Aug 21, 2015.

1. 3-second lag when launching programs

UPDATE: Well, I suffered with this for a number of months, but the recent major update (2015/11/11) seems to have fixed it,
    so case closed.

Hi, I'm an ex programmer and I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10. I have a desktop with an Intel i5, and a Gigabyte motherboard based on the Z77 chipset.

I'm experiencing a 3 second lag every time I launch a program.

I have a hard on/off switch on my DSL, but the lag happens whether I'm connected or not. I've checked Event Viewer --nothing weird. I've used the internals program you probably know, AutoRuns, and found nothing weird. I've done a full scan using Windows Defender. I run EMET. I've done a sfc /scannow. I've done a chkdsk /r /x on C:.

The lag happens regardless of weather the session has run the program once or multiple times.

Yes it happens right after a restart.

And the kicker is, the lag is not quite consistent. This morning there was a stretch where there was no lag at all, and I was ready to declare the case closed. But now it's back. There was another stretch this evening. I wish I could remember everything I did.

I'm really hesistant to try to use ProcMon, just because of the reams of output it produces. I don't have 2 free days to comb thru it all, and that's assuming I know what I'm looking for.

I might try to eliminate the 3rd party apps I run one by one to see if that helps, and reply here.

Any other advice?

:)

sgt panties, Aug 21, 2015
  2. borate Win User

Windows 10 is very slow in opening any application and it is waiting for a long time even in opening the file explorer

Though it may not be the cause of your issue, be aware that Windows 10 has a well-known, longstanding problem with lag (3 seconds or so) when launching programs via keyboard accelerators. This also causes macros to hang.

The solution in most cases is to disable SUPERFETCH. Type "services" into the search box at the bottom-left of the screen. Then <enter>.

Scroll to Superfetch, double-click it and disable. Reboot. This will clear the background processes that are causing the lag.

The issue has been repeatedly reported to Microsoft, over several years. But, apparently, it cannot be solved or isn't being addressed.

borate, Aug 21, 2015
  3. borate Win User
    Program launch LAG

There is a lag of approximately three seconds when launching programs
    via Windows 10 shortcut keys
    . This is a longstanding, oft-reported issue that is alleged by some forum participants to have existed prior to Windows 10. There is no lag if programs are launched via a mouse.

The fault may also prevent some macros from completing, a serious detriment.

It is not caused by viruses, malware or missing system files (SFC). Resetting Windows, increasing virtual memory or a clean boot are not relevant.

The lag is related to suspended background processes - such as calculator - which are repeatedly initiated by the Superfetch service.

Disabling it solves the problem in most cases, but that shouldn't be required.

Please escalate this issue to developers/higher support levels. Perhaps one day they will take it seriously.

borate, Aug 21, 2015
Thema:

3-second lag when launching programs

1. 3-second lag when launching programs - Similar Threads - second lag launching

2. My PC lags every 3 seconds for less than a second.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My PC lags every 3 seconds for less than a second.: Yeah, so my PC lags every 3 seconds for less than a second. It lags everywhere, not just in games. The mouse lags, the surroundings lag, it's just so annoying and I'm tired of it. Can someone help me? submitted by /u/JustAndOnlyNatsuki [link] [comments]...
  3. My cursor lags for 3-5 seconds when my computer starts.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My cursor lags for 3-5 seconds when my computer starts.: Recently I bought a new laptop, which is running in it's latest windows version. Every time I open my windows my cursor lags for a few seconds. When I try to move it, the cursor sometimes freezes for 5 seconds and comes back to its normal mode. Then I uninstalled my antivirus...
  4. Windows lags every 3 seconds

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows lags every 3 seconds: I had a problem with my laptop not updating. I updated all drivers including BIOS. After that the computer started lagging every 3 seconds, video playback and the mouse as well. I then did a clean install of Windows 10 and applied all the updates. It is now up to date. The...
  5. Launching a program when a second monitor is attached.

in Windows 10 Support
    Launching a program when a second monitor is attached.: Hi all, I am looking to use Task Scheduler or similar to start an application every time I plug in a secondary monitor. EG: When only using my laptop monitor, I decide to plug in a secondary monitor to my HDMI port and when that action is logged is forces an EXE or other...
  6. PC Freezes for 1-2 seconds when launching certain programs

in Windows 10 Support
    PC Freezes for 1-2 seconds when launching certain programs: The PC would freeze for a few seconds when I open certain programs the first time after waking the PC from sleep. It would not freeze if I open the program again after the first time, until I sleep the PC again. Programs that would freeze are e.g. MPC, Potplayer, etc....
  7. Lag Spikes Every 3 Seconds

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Lag Spikes Every 3 Seconds: So, just a few days ago, I got on my computer and started experiencing these lag spikes... It occurs every 2-3 seconds (and it's a second-long spike)... to equate to how this feels: It's like playing an FPS game with lag -- you're shooting a person, but the shots aren't...
  8. 1-3 second lags

1-3 second lags: So this started like last week where i get these small lags when my pc freezes for like 1-3 seconds. It can happen when i play games or just browsing. It happens probably like 2 times every hour. This is a problem for me because when i play csgo and im shooting towards...
  9. Program launch lag (FYI)

Program launch lag (FYI): There is a lag of approximately three seconds when launching programs via Windows 10 shortcut keys. This is a longstanding, oft-reported issue that is alleged by some forum participants to predate Windows 10. There is no lag if programs are launched via a mouse. The fault...
  10. Programs launched with keyboard shortcuts lagging.

Programs launched with keyboard shortcuts lagging.: Programs launched with keyboard shortcuts(either single key or ctrl alt) take for about 5-6 seconds to start. Even notepad.... 36530