Windows 10: 3 Things I learned from Windows 10

Discus and support 3 Things I learned from Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; 1. Once you're out of a game every 3rd or 4th time my LED shows no signal and I have to restart PC to get back the display. 2. Every 4th or 5th time... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Evil Nemesis, Oct 28, 2015.

1. 3 Things I learned from Windows 10

1. Once you're out of a game every 3rd or 4th time my LED shows no signal and I have to restart PC to get back the display.

2. Every 4th or 5th time I boot into black screen instead of login screen.

3. When I click on volume control icon on taskbar and change volume the panel just wont go away till I click again anywhere on taskbar.

Anyone can confirm? BTW I'm on builtin Intel HD4500 graphic for now, I had a dedicated graphic card and windows 8.1 before and everything was working fine.*cry

:)

Evil Nemesis, Oct 28, 2015

2. What I learned from factory resetting my lumia 1520 with windows 10 mobile.

Did a factory reset yesterday after updating to the anniversary update for windows 10 mobile on my lumia 1520. Reason for this is twofold. 1. a clean slate after conintuous upgrading from windows 8.x to windows 10 mobile without a factory reset between succesive
    updates and 2. issues with bluetooth connectivity with my microsoft bluetooth keyboard.

Backup:

The good: backup in the anniversary update was really straightforward. A myriad of options ranging from the built in backup solution with onedrive via settings. I also had most my files and app files set to store on my microsd card, so little issue there
    as well.

the bad: not really much bad here. Had no mishaps

the ugly: back up still feels like a big chore. Also when removing the microsd card from the phone, I am greeted by a dialogue box on the phone. It said that to safely remove the sd card I had to delete my microsdcard!!! Not the most comforting dialogue
    box I've come across!!!

The factory reset:

The good: fairly straightforward. Just one button via settings>info

The bad: factory reset takes a while

The ugly: I was missing dynamic information on a gestimation how long the reset would take. No text with "30 minutes to completed reset". Only a cog gif animation and a progressbar.

The setup:

The good: farily straightfoward via steps with menu's. Going back a step was an option as was the option to skip some steps such as account and wifi login, in favor of getting all the basic system set up and installed. Restoring backup was pleasantly automatic.
    Language and Region Personalization options were easy to complete as well. Setting up accounts and apps from my library after setup was a breeze via settings and the store app.

The bad: setup of the system, accounts, apps and in app setups took a relatively long time. Took me a couple of hours to get things back to how they were. Saving in app settings could be greatly improved with a system reset. Might help save time. Many windows
    8.x apps not supported in windows 10 mobile anymore were simply gone from my app library. Even though they stilled carried over and worked fine after several windows 10 moblie build updates.

ugly: I had to setup many apps. Several app settings were not saved and I had to reinstall files and changes personalization settings for a lot of apps. Tha't's a lot of apps to go through! Personalizing the live tile and system text sizes was a big chore
    to accomplish and get right. Larger fonts on smaller tiles improves the visibility and readability greatly on the phone, but I have to tweak at two different settings areas (screen and accessibility) to get it right. It's a complicated back and forth dance
    and multiple system restarts to get it right. Unfortunately no system preview is supported to see your tweaked end result. You can only see the result after a system reset. Not the most efficient and user friendly method for previewing your changes. Another
    problem is that changes affect native apps too. So what looks right on the start screen, live tiles, menu's& most apps look right. But in Edge the dip scaling in many apps is skewed to an inefficient and unreadable large text size. I had to force a low text
    and dpi size just for the websites to make them readable again, which affects the input accuracy and readability elsewhere in the mobile OS. The dpi scaling needs a lot more work to get it right within affecting each other.

Battery consumption increases greatly the first 24-48 hours after a reset and setup. Not sure if this will improve over time, but I hope so. Consumption increases from pre-reset 16%/8 hours to 20%/1-2 hours!

"Clean" windows 10 mobile anniversary update on my lumia 1520. First 24 hours.

good: everything works as expected. compared to my experiences before the system reset. Bluetooth first time set up works to be able to use a connect a bluetooth keyboard.

bad: battery consumption has increased greatly compared to pre-reset situation.

ugly: some unexpected things happened in this experience. I'm stil having bluetooth issues. When I turn off the bluetooth keyboard and turn it back on, there is instand bluetoothconnection with the phone and I can start typing immediately. But when I turn
    bluetooth off on the phone, and then back on (with the blutooth keyboard on) I can't connect. The phone says I'm "coupled", but not connected. I don't see my phone respond to keyboard keys and commands on my smartphone screen. The only workaround I have found
    is to delete the keyboard entry from the bluetooth device list, restart the phone and restart a connection. This is contrary to feedback I've recieved from others on this community. The problem still stands. Would like to know how to fix this.

Other things I'm missing are things like saving my startscreen live tile layout. I also had to reocmpile and redo my startscreen layout, which also took some to do.

Other peculiarities I noticed:

A thing that caught my eye is that when changing dpi scaling many website render poorly in portrait orientation. flipping the phone to landscape orientation fixes the rescaling and rewrapping of text. Settings interestingly supports a landscape orientation.
    This got me excited to see the startmenu in landscape orientation. Oddly it did not do this. This is strange because my startscreen on my surface pro can rotate with the screen orientation. For me on the phone the landscape orientation would be ideal to navigate
    the startmenu better when my phone is in landscape orientation, because of the carkit and better viewing of navigation in landscape orientation. Now I literally have to turn my head sideways to use the phone in the car, or be distracted by having to turn the
    phone phisically oddly.

I wanted quick access to an album of mine from the photos app. Turns out, I can't pin an album. This is ood because I can pin a folder in windows 10 and pin files from office mobile on my phones startscreen. Whats up with that?

The photos live tile looks small compared to the lovely large live tile on windows 10. Why aren't larger and more different types or larger live tiles supported? I would also like a portrait oriented wide live tile for portrait images.

I noticed that webtiles on the phone don't support favicons, compared to windows 10. Whats up with that?

Wevenhuis10, Oct 28, 2015
  3. From Windows 7 to Windows 10 issues

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have a few questions at this time of learning. 1., How to have the Numberic Lock on the keyboard remain in locked position? It seems to reboot each time I close Windows 10. 2. When I right click on a photo that
    appears on my Desktop of Acer PC, Windows goes into a continuous loop that only stops when I shutdown the computer? 3. I am struggling to find things on my PC laptop that were simple in Windows 7 but remain hidden or not easily accessible in my learning stage.
    Is there a tool or user guide that could make this easier?

JosephKeller_799, Oct 28, 2015
  4. 3 Things I learned from Windows 10

And I trust you are still running the upgrade install of 10 and didn't see a clean install afterwards? If you are running with an upgrade install it is likely "BUGGY" by the description you provide there! Here I have actually crash games Steam titles and older stand alone installs as well as watched them lock up solid but never have run into any of those issues!

Another factor of course which can effect gaming as well as display issues would be the onboard graphics chip not quite having the right driver installed? Sometimes display issues will cause things to freeze in place where you are then forced to hard boot or log off a Windows session.

Night Hawk, Oct 28, 2015
  5. +1 to 2. But for me, it was everytime I have booted... and two days after reporting it in Feedback app, Windows started to boot OK again. So who knows what was the issue...but I take it as a price of being an Insider.

Olivir2014, Oct 28, 2015
  6. I'm planning to buy an external gfx card so I think both the display problems might go away. I don't think it's an upgrade issue but who knows. @Olivir2014 are you on latest update ? like as of today or lats week?

Evil Nemesis, Oct 28, 2015
  7. Presently I have the 10565 on a VM which automatically rules out most types of gaming except for the ones that come in Windows or are freebies you install after from the MS online store. If you are trying to run any games that demand graphics at all you know that would flop only seeing onboard while a mismatch of the driver would be more suspect for the usual tasks running into problems.

One thing you can check on would be seeing just what updates are available at the manufacturer's(Asus) support site. If you don't any for 10 and not even for 8.1 you have a problem for sure! The 64bit 8.1 drivers for most things seem to work on 10 as were the Vista drivers found to work on 7 and some 7 on 8 being the immediate previous version in each case.

Likewise you would try the 8.1 update to see if the fresh install will help clear this up. A run of the System File Checker and even schedule the DiskCheck tool for sure to clean up any disk errors are other options available. The upgrade to better graphics of course will always be a plus factor in that area.

Night Hawk, Oct 28, 2015
  8. 3 Things I learned from Windows 10

Unless there was some update within last two days, then I am pretty sure nothing in the systém has actually changed. Yes, I have been playing with Stardock's software for a while - but the login issue just stopped before I unistalled it. Otherwise I am on Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB from MSI. Also, it was just on the login screen, not anytime later (including games). And as I am using the PIN option, it was quite painless to type it by memory. Still, I don't know what happened. Maybe because I am on several upgrades from the RTM and not on a clean install, who knows.

Olivir2014, Oct 28, 2015
  9. What likely happened after a few days time is the upgrade finally updated itself with each new update and from there started running normally. That works in your favor however.

Generally speaking a 10 upgrade over a 10 install will generally go much better then the upgrade from a previous version even when the previous just saw a clean install. But the one thing often forgotten about is that regardless of which build or version you are working with it's still "Software" and software installs of any type can come out buggy at times. You had a minor glitch there.

Night Hawk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

3 Things I learned from Windows 10

1. 3 Things I learned from Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Things learned

2. i want this thing out of my sight

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i want this thing out of my sight: there's this goofy caps lock icon whenever i type.i don't like it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-this-thing-out-of-my-sight/7afe260a-5a83-477f-8e98-2018dfa67fa2
  3. i want this thing out of my sight

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i want this thing out of my sight: there's this goofy caps lock icon whenever i type.i don't like it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-want-this-thing-out-of-my-sight/7afe260a-5a83-477f-8e98-2018dfa67fa2
  4. windows system c ant' update and cursor keeps skipping ahead when typing any thing i n...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows system c ant' update and cursor keeps skipping ahead when typing any thing i n...: windows system c ant' update and cursor keeps skipping ahead when typing any thing i n cluding this message https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-system-c-ant-update-and-cursor-keeps/09df18ba-7994-480b-883e-ce1a0b6ef9a8
  5. windows system c ant' update and cursor keeps skipping ahead when typing any thing i n...

windows system c ant' update and cursor keeps skipping ahead when typing any thing i n...: windows system c ant' update and cursor keeps skipping ahead when typing any thing i n cluding this message https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-system-c-ant-update-and-cursor-keeps/09df18ba-7994-480b-883e-ce1a0b6ef9a8
  6. windows system c ant' update and cursor keeps skipping ahead when typing any thing i n...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Asus setup does not support OS WNT_10.0H_64 on windows 10 pro, tried many things I go onto...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Asus setup does not support OS WNT_10.0H_64 on windows 10 pro, tried many things I go onto...: motherboard is b650e-f gaming Wi-Fi and the processor is amd 7900x, for some reason when I go onto the driver's section of Asus the lan driver is for intel it says but those are the only ones so I don't know if that is the problem and wouldn't know how to fix it. I'am also...
  8. Asus setup does not support OS WNT_10.0H_64 on windows 10 pro, tried many things I go onto...

Asus setup does not support OS WNT_10.0H_64 on windows 10 pro, tried many things I go onto...: motherboard is b650e-f gaming Wi-Fi and the processor is amd 7900x, for some reason when I go onto the driver's section of Asus the lan driver is for intel it says but those are the only ones so I don't know if that is the problem and wouldn't know how to fix it. I'am also...
  9. Asus setup does not support OS WNT_10.0H_64 on windows 10 pro, tried many things I go onto...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Wi-fi isn't working for Microsoft things

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-fi isn't working for Microsoft things: It connects to the network and says that I have no internet access. The internet works perfectly for everything except when I try to use things by Microsoft like the Minecraft launcher or the Get Help page. I have tried everything there is to do beside doing a full factory...