Windows 10: 32 bit common dialogs not working on 64 bit os

Discus and support 32 bit common dialogs not working on 64 bit os in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Running windows 10 64. Common dialogs on 32 bit applications do not work/appear. First i thought there was only a problem with chrome, save dialog do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by iomismo, Sep 6, 2015.

1. iomismo Win User

32 bit common dialogs not working on 64 bit os

Running windows 10 64. Common dialogs on 32 bit applications do not work/appear.
    First i thought there was only a problem with chrome, save dialog do not work/appear and i cannot download anything, unless you config chrome for autodownload. Then i realized that it was the entire system. 32 bit application common dialogs do not work. All 64 bit applications "open", "save" file dialogs work correctly. I cannot even open a project in Visual Studio 2015. I have installed chrome 64 and it works ok.
    SFC didnt fix the problem, even after deleting common controls known files, such as comdlg32.dll, comctl32.dll from syswow64. With Process Explorer from Windows SysInternals, i have found that some 32 bit programs use comctl32.dll files from C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_... folders. I have not deleted them yet to see if sfc repairs them.

I have tried to reinstall windows 10 from usb but it does not work.

I have disabled all non microsoft applications and third party shell extensions from startup...nothing.
    The only thing i have found to fix it is disabling visual themes in compatibility options (although windows 10 does not have this option, u can set the DISABLETHEMES flag in the registry, in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers). I thought it was the solution, Visual Sutdio works after 5 days yuhuuuu!!, but besides it ruins all the aspect of the application, i have found some other applications that still do not work, such as openiv, a GTA Editor, when i click on "Browse" to select the path for gta, the dialog does not appear.
    I made a simple visual studio solution and when calling openfiledialog showdialog, it does not wait, it continues running to the next line code. Normally it opens the dialog and the program execution is "suspended" until user closes/accepts the dialog. Maybe it opens and closes immediately, i dont know, i have not been able to trace what happens after ShowDialog is called.
    Five days googling the same sites and no solution. Disable Firewall, windows defender, onedrive (thinking that "old" applications do not expect to find an onedrive access in the open file dialog side panel), i do not have any other network drive, nothing works. It's the only thing that i am doing from 5 days ago, trying to fix it, seeing the same sites once and again, and it does not seem to be a common problem, or at least i am not searching properly.

:)

iomismo, Sep 6, 2015

2. 32 bit common dialogs not working on 64 bit os

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description of the issue, I understand that you are facing issues with Windows Explorer Dialog Box in Windows 10.

Before proceeding, please check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

Please perform the below steps and see if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1:

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.

• Restart the computer.

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    Method 2:

If issue persist, Kindly follow the below given steps and check if it helps:

Run these commands:

• Press Windows key and type Powershell
      in search, right click on it and Open as administrator .

• Type the following command in Powershell and hit enter:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further assistance, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 6, 2015
  3. 32 bit common dialogs not working on 64 bit os

Running windows 10 64. Common dialogs on 32 bit applications do not work/appear.

First i thought there was only a problem with chrome, save dialog do not work/appear and i cannot download anything, unless you config chrome for autodownload. Then i realized
    that it was the entire system. 32 bit application common dialogs do not work. All 64 bit applications "open", "save" file dialogs work correctly. I cannot even open a project in Visual Studio 2015. I have installed chrome 64 and it works ok.

SFC didnt fix the problem, even after deleting common controls known files, such as comdlg32.dll, comctl32.dll from syswow64. With Process Explorer from Windows SysInternals, i have found that some 32 bit
    programs use comctl32.dll files from C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.windows.common-controls_... folders. I have not deleted them yet to see if sfc repairs them.

I have tried to reinstall windows 10 from usb but it does not work.

I have disabled all non microsoft applications and third party shell extensions from startup...nothing.

The only thing i have found to fix it is disabling visual themes in compatibility options (although windows 10 does not have this option, u can set the DISABLETHEMES flag in the registry, in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers). I thought it was the solution, Visual Sutdio works after 5 days yuhuuuu!!, but besides it ruins all the aspect of the application, i have found some other applications that still do not work, such as openiv, a GTA
    Editor, when i click on "Browse" to select the path for gta, the dialog does not appear.

I made a simple visual studio solution and when calling openfiledialog showdialog, it does not wait, it continues running to the next line code. Normally it opens the dialog and the program execution is
    "suspended" until user closes/accepts the dialog. Maybe it opens and closes immediately, i dont know, i have not been able to trace what happens after ShowDialog is called.

Five days googling the same sites and no solution. Disable Firewall, windows defender, onedrive (thinking that "old" applications do not expect to find an onedrive access in the open file dialog side panel),
    i do not have any other network drive, nothing works. It's the only thing that i am doing from 5 days ago, trying to fix it, seeing the same sites once and again, and it does not seem to be a common problem, or at least i am not searching properly.

Kannabicus, Sep 6, 2015
  4. 32 bit common dialogs not working on 64 bit os

iomismo,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write this post. I thought you might like to know it made all the difference in cracking a problem with fixing a Windows 95 game, MissionForce: CyberStorm, that was simply closing instead of opening the file dialog. My searches were turning up very little and this one post provided the clue I needed to look deeper into the compatibility flags -- something I was not aware of as available. Therefore, on behalf of everyone who will use my patch, "Thank you!"

Matt

juanitogan, Jan 25, 2016
Thema:

32 bit common dialogs not working on 64 bit os

1. 32 bit common dialogs not working on 64 bit os - Similar Threads - bit common dialogs

2. Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS: Currently, I run windows 10 home 32 Bit on a 64 Bit processor. I am looking to upgrade the OS to 64 Bit but I don’t want to reinstall Windows as the computer is from a relative who passed away and was working on a application for training pilots. As there is no exe installer,...
  3. Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS: Currently, I run windows 10 home 32 Bit on a 64 Bit processor. I am looking to upgrade the OS to 64 Bit but I don’t want to reinstall Windows as the computer is from a relative who passed away and was working on a application for training pilots. As there is no exe installer,...
  4. Move from 32 Bit OS to 64 Bit OS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    32 bit to 64 bit: Why do all my apps suddenly turn from 64 bit to 32 bit? On Windows 11. Pls help! E.g. Steam is on 32 bit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/32-bit-to-64-bit/17fd69e3-2162-44d1-9acc-3d58e2ed3a23
  6. 32 bit to 64 bit

32 bit to 64 bit: I attempted to change an HP Mini 110notebook from Windows 10 32 bit Windows to Windows 10 64 bit. It originally came with Windows 7 andI later upgraded to Windows 10 but it was the 32 bit version. It hasa 64 bit CPU so I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and used it todo a...
  7. 32 bit to 64 bit

32 bit to 64 bit: i want to make my pc 64 bit but i got anti virus in my pc will my anti virus get deleted if i make my pc 64 bit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/32-bit-to-64-bit/e75ae8f8-beb8-49d2-ba0f-d1fbc2297c74
  8. Updating 32 bit to 64 bit os

Updating 32 bit to 64 bit os: My pc is compatible with 64 bit os when i try to install windows 10 64 bit it says t"app can't run on your pc please tell a solution to this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/updating-32-bit-to-64-bit-os/13a83015-6d2d-46bb-bc4b-efdc8d2f6eba
  9. 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Customization
    32 bit to 64 bit: can I upgrade my 32 bit to 64 bit plz help me I nwanna play fortnite https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/32-bit-to-64-bit/67efd3f2-6406-4c88-9aa7-667bf8b42650
  10. 64 bit to 32 bit

in Windows 10 Support
    64 bit to 32 bit: Have a Asus laptop with 64 bit system loaded win10 64 bit used 89% of ram contacted Asus unit not suitable for win 10 is there a way to run win10 32 bit on a 64 bit system as this should use less ram. . 39318