Windows 10: 32 bit or 64 bit

Discus and support 32 bit or 64 bit in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello,All my programs, installed and portable, are according to my system 32 bit.Since I have in mind to replace my problematic "old" computer, Will I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Motim, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Motim Win User

32 bit or 64 bit

Hello,All my programs, installed and portable, are according to my system 32 bit.Since I have in mind to replace my problematic "old" computer, Will I be able to use them (install) on a 64 bit system ?Answers will be appreciatedThanks

:)

Motim, Aug 24, 2017

2. 64 bit or 32 bit

I want to switch from my currently installed architecture when migrating to Windows 10. Do I have that option with the free upgrade offer?

How do I upgrade from 32 bit versions of Windows to 64 bit Windows 10?

How
    to: Switch from 32 bit versions of Windows to Windows 10 64 bit

Andre Da Costa, Aug 24, 2017
  3. 64 bit or 32 bit

Hey Shaun,

As you are running 32 bit windows, you will get 32 bit Windows 10.

Hope this helps.

Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 24, 2017
  4. 32 bit or 64 bit

Tough to say without knowing what programs, but 64 bit is the standard now, and has been for a quite some time. If you have a specific program that won't run or doesn't have a 64-bit version, you should be able to find a replacement.

DeaconFrost, Aug 24, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I don't know of any 32-bit programs or apps that won't run in 64-bit Windows. It's the hardware drivers that will have compatibility issues.

NavyLCDR, Aug 24, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    32 bit programs work fine but you should look to see if 64bit versions are available - it is amazing how much win32 software has never been made into 64bit.

cereberus, Aug 24, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Yes, 32-bit apps run on 64-bit Windows. The only problem I've ever seen is with very old apps from a time when 16-bit was the norm and 32-bit was 'the next big thing'. Some software came with a choice of installing 16 or 32 bit versions, but the Setup that launched the install was only 16-bit so it could run on any machine.

You are extremely unlikely to have (or want to install) anything that old.

8. 32 bit or 64 bit

*Ditto To all of the above. Old legacy software that runs in 16 bit is an issue. Other than that 32 bit software should run just fine on a 64 bit install. On a 64 bit install you will have Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders. 64 bit software and 32 bit software respectively. As mentioned you will need 64 bit drivers though.

alphanumeric, Aug 24, 2017
  9. Motim Win User
    Hello and Thanks
    As I know, drivers are for hardware, not for software. The new pc I am going to buy will be either 32 bit or 64 bit, so cannot understand what software is to do with drivers, or am I wrong.
    Thanks

Motim, Aug 26, 2017
  10. pyramid10 Win User
    As long as the very restrictive Windows 10 S isn't the installed OS on the new PC.

pyramid10, Aug 26, 2017
  11. Needing 64 bit drivers pertains to any peripherals you have now that you may want to use with the new PC. USB WIFI adapters, printers, etc. If you have some really old hardware it could be an issue. I have a D-Link DWA-552 WIFI card I'd like to use on my spare desktop PC but can't find a driver for it that will work in Windows 10. So it sits in the anti-static bag not being used.

alphanumeric, Aug 26, 2017
  12. Duyenhip Win User
    If you are running the old machine, I suggest you choose Windows 10 Home 32bit

Duyenhip, Aug 26, 2017
  13. Stevekir Win User

32 bit or 64 bit

I think the difference is mainly that 64 bit programs can use double amount of RAM compared to 32 bit. So 64 bit programs are useful or needed for programs that store a lot of data when running. If available, and on a newish machine, I would always choose 64 bit.

Perhaps someone will confirm this (or not).

Stevekir, Aug 26, 2017
  14. If you buy anywhere near decent hardware, it should be 64 bit anyway. Any PC with over 4 gigs of RAM will have the 64 bit Windows installed by default. You'd have to purposely buy low end or go looking for a 32 bit system. I also think you'll find, most software is still 32 bit. They know it will run on a 64 bit system anyway, so why bother developing a 64 bit version, unless they have too. Not many people will pay extra for a 64 bit version, unless they know for a fact it has performance advantages. Even then, odds are they will cheap out and buy the 32 bit version if its price is lower than the 64 bit version.
    Regardless of which one you get, 32 bit or 64 bit Windows. You can switch to the other at no cost. Other than the time it takes to clean install the other version. Your Product code is good for 32 bit or 64 bit. It's only the edition, Home, Pro etc that's locked in. You can even run 32 bit with more than 4 gigs of RAM, you just won't be able to use it all. You'll be caped at a little under 4 gigs.

alphanumeric, Aug 26, 2017
  15. It isn't simply double the memory. It's whatever the system has available. 32-bit OSes cap overall memory usage at roughly 3.8 GB, once hardware reservations are...reserved. 64-bit OSes use what the system has available, so if you give it 16 GB, and you're running an Excel macro that consumes 4 GB of memory...no problem.

DeaconFrost, Aug 27, 2017
Thema:

32 bit or 64 bit

1. 32 bit or 64 bit - Similar Threads - bit bit

2. Windows 11 Pro Swedish 64-bit says I need to activate windows after a windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro Swedish 64-bit says I need to activate windows after a windows update: Problem: I bought my license of Windows 11 Pro Swedish 64-bit in February 2023. It has worked fine until a recent Windows update. After that, it suddenly nags me to activate Windows. When I go to activation it says, translated: "Windows reported that no product key was found...
  3. Windows 11 Pro Swedish 64-bit says I need to activate windows after a windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Pro Swedish 64-bit says I need to activate windows after a windows update: Problem: I bought my license of Windows 11 Pro Swedish 64-bit in February 2023. It has worked fine until a recent Windows update. After that, it suddenly nags me to activate Windows. When I go to activation it says, translated: "Windows reported that no product key was found...
  4. I recently installed Windows 10 64 bit..and,I have 8GB of my computer, but..there was still...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I recently installed Windows 10 64 bit..and,I have 8GB of my computer, but..there was still...: running win10 64 bit vs win10 32 bit and how much ram is required for it or be able to run without lag? submitted by /u/savant78 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/1caj1w1/i_recently_installed_windows_10_64_bitandi_have/
  5. I have an Acer PC, Windows 11, 64 bit system. How do I download this program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have an Acer PC, Windows 11, 64 bit system. How do I download this program: I want to download Clear Voice. How do I do it on my PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-an-acer-pc-windows-11-64-bit-system-how-do/0402ba7e-e55d-426f-a508-5d03f2bbb2f6
  6. I have an Acer PC, Windows 11, 64 bit system. How do I download this program

I have an Acer PC, Windows 11, 64 bit system. How do I download this program: I want to download Clear Voice. How do I do it on my PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-an-acer-pc-windows-11-64-bit-system-how-do/0402ba7e-e55d-426f-a508-5d03f2bbb2f6
  7. Bit locker on SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bit locker on SSD Drive: Hi All, I have a Lenovo laptop, some how when I switched it on it loads up just where the it asked for the pin/password it says it is not avaible and set new pin, I can get in to forced reset but it comes up asking for bit locker code, unfortune my Microsoft account got...
  8. Bit locker on SSD Drive

Bit locker on SSD Drive: Hi All, I have a Lenovo laptop, some how when I switched it on it loads up just where the it asked for the pin/password it says it is not avaible and set new pin, I can get in to forced reset but it comes up asking for bit locker code, unfortune my Microsoft account got...
  9. Repacing 32 bit os with 64 bit without usb

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repacing 32 bit os with 64 bit without usb: I have a laptop with Windows 10 home edition 32 bit. My mechine supports 64 bit os. Now i have not an usb to install 64 bit windows image. The direct upgarde isn't possible in 32 bit from 64 bit. How to replace my 32 bit os with 64 bit...
  10. Repacing 32 bit os with 64 bit without usb

Repacing 32 bit os with 64 bit without usb: I have a laptop with Windows 10 home edition 32 bit. My mechine supports 64 bit os. Now i have not an usb to install 64 bit windows image. The direct upgarde isn't possible in 32 bit from 64 bit. How to replace my 32 bit os with 64 bit...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 4970 not 64 bit