Windows 10: 32 bit or 64 bit

Discus and support 32 bit or 64 bit in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Apart from some 16/32GB tablets and hybrids, it is virtually impossible to buy a 32bit pc anymore. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Motim, Aug 24, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

32 bit or 64 bit

Apart from some 16/32GB tablets and hybrids, it is virtually impossible to buy a 32bit pc anymore.

cereberus, Aug 27, 2017
  2. Bree New Member

Microsoft recommend, and install by default, the 32-bit version of Office on 64-bit systems. This article explains the pros and cons of each. There are more disadvantages to the 64-bit version than advantages.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...rs=en-US&ad=US

3. That's what I was thinking.

alphanumeric, Aug 27, 2017
  4. 32 bit or 64 bit

Yep, I have to go to the office folder and run setup64.exe to get the 64 bit version. If I run setup.exe from the root of the ISO I end up with the 32 bit version. No prompt to chose one or the other, if just installs the 32 bit version.

alphanumeric, Aug 27, 2017
  5. Visual Studio 2017 is also 32-bit, but VS Code is 64-bit. Both can still compile 32/64-bit software. *Smile

To the OP: Buy a decent computer. Get help from someone who knows computer hardware and can recommend a device that is good, will have a long lifespan but does not cost too much. If for some reason some application would not run on your new computer, then it's most likely something so old that you should not run it anyways.

slicendice, Aug 27, 2017
  6. recently i've switched from 32-bit to 64-bit (been used 32-bit OS for about 7/8 years)

i can say, 64-bit is better choice if u've 64-bit supported drivers for ur pc components *Smile multi-tasking is much more improved in 64-bit OS... and all my portable apps (32-bit) run smoothly in 64-bit...

good luck *Smile

EDIT: for multi-tasking, u need 4GB+ RAM to see real world difference.

sakiborislam, Aug 28, 2017
  7. Stevekir Win User
    Consider Lenovo. Good quality, not expensive. (I have no relationship with them except as a satisfied user).

Stevekir, Aug 28, 2017
  8. 32 bit or 64 bit

Lenovo is good as long as you get something commercial, such as the ThinkPad series and not the IdeaPad which is consumer grade crap. I worked at a computer repair store for some time and we saw more consumer grade crap from all brands come in for broken hinges, power connectors, USB ports, etc. Anything we sold was commercial grade, so Lattitudes (our biggest by far), Precisions, ThinkPads. Never had any come back in for any of that.

ArazelEternal, Aug 28, 2017
  9. *Thumbs

slicendice, Aug 29, 2017
  10. sygnus21 Win User
    For clarity, the Lenovo ThinkPads are considered business class PC's - ThinkPad & ThinkCentre PCs

That said, because I have one, I'll +1 for the Lenovo ThinkPad line as well. Solidly built with great performance. However, if you're into aesthetics, they might not please you there. But again, they do perform.

sygnus21, Aug 29, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    This whole thread can be summarised as follows:

32 bit pcs can only run 32 bit programs

64 bit pcs can run both

Apart from some tablets/hybrids, every new PC is 64 bit (and mostly UEFI).

You only need 64bit Office for special cases, which most mere mortals never encounter.

THE END.

cereberus, Aug 29, 2017
  12. And then all the bits lived happily ever after!

slicendice, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

32 bit or 64 bit

1. 32 bit or 64 bit - Similar Threads - bit bit

2. how can i bypass bit locker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i bypass bit locker: i have a lenovo ideapad 3 and as soon as i turn it on it asks for bitlocker code which i do not have and it wont let me do anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-bypass-bit-locker/7745068d-6526-41a2-a3c2-de47920529a5
  3. how can i bypass bit locker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i bypass bit locker: i have a lenovo ideapad 3 and as soon as i turn it on it asks for bitlocker code which i do not have and it wont let me do anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-bypass-bit-locker/7745068d-6526-41a2-a3c2-de47920529a5
  4. why is my mouse cursor freezing a bit when hovering it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is my mouse cursor freezing a bit when hovering it: I have tried uninstalling mouse driver and tried to update it, changed mouse HZ, also tried to perform cmd commands like sfc /scannow, but it still doesn't work....
  5. why is my mouse cursor freezing a bit when hovering it

why is my mouse cursor freezing a bit when hovering it: I have tried uninstalling mouse driver and tried to update it, changed mouse HZ, also tried to perform cmd commands like sfc /scannow, but it still doesn't work....
  6. My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...: My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code 0x000000f also saying the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible. Can anyone help?...
  7. My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...

My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...: My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code 0x000000f also saying the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible. Can anyone help?...
  8. My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. i got my pc reset and now the font in browsers, file explorer looks a bit different

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i got my pc reset and now the font in browsers, file explorer looks a bit different: i got my pc reset by a repair shop for ram and other stuff and now microsoft edge, file explorer fonts look a bit different. here are some examples:-...
  10. i got my pc reset and now the font in browsers, file explorer looks a bit different

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i got my pc reset and now the font in browsers, file explorer looks a bit different: i got my pc reset by a repair shop for ram and other stuff and now microsoft edge, file explorer fonts look a bit different. here are some examples:-...