Windows 10: 32 GB Win 10-1803 free-up 8 GB impossible, external storage ignored

Discus and support 32 GB Win 10-1803 free-up 8 GB impossible, external storage ignored in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Win10 vers 1803, trying to upgrade to vers 1903 on a 32 GB HP netbook. 2 user accounts, 4.5 GB free space optimized, nothing left to remove.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by den458, Dec 8, 2019.

1. den458 Win User

32 GB Win 10-1803 free-up 8 GB impossible, external storage ignored

I have Win10 vers 1803, trying to upgrade to vers 1903 on a 32 GB HP netbook.

2 user accounts, 4.5 GB free space optimized, nothing left to remove.
    3.2GB of downloaded Windows updates in SoftwareDistribution folder
    Unless I delete a user, & maybe delete Office, impossible to free-up 8 GB total free space on C: drive
    Upgrade tool says external storage device is a solution, tried 3, all > 16 GB free space, all ignored.

Advice by Microsoft I read tonight currently says USB external storage is a solution.

It also says on a Windows update page that I can select a FIX ISSUES option to setup USB external storage.

I don't have any such FIX ISSUES option.

Have read elsewhere USB external storage not an acceptable upgrade option for temporary storage.

For those unable to free 8 GB of resident memory & external USB storage is ignored by the upgrade tool...

Is upgrade to 1903 impossible?
    I think FRESH START or REINSTALL WINDOWS are options, but are they my only options?

I have HOURS invested in trying to keep this netbook functional.

Would really appreciate advice that actually works in my vers 1803.

How do I get the update tool to recognize & accept my USB external storage?

Or is it hopeless? Computers upgrade to a point of uselessness?

It's an adequate machine, as capable as 2 years ago, but over-full of updates?

Useful advice. Anyone?

:)

den458, Dec 8, 2019
  2. TNHo Win User

Windows 10 storage 8 gb of "Other"

After reverting to a stable build of Windows 10, I decided to remove some temporary files.

After doing that, I find that the OS drive still takes more space than I remember it being before I installed a Windows Insider preview.

When looking at "storage", I find that there was 8.52 gb of "Other".

When looking at other, none of the folder sizes add up to 8 gb. How do I find what's taking 8 gbs of my storage?

TNHo, Dec 8, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Install Files Turned 128 GB Flash Drive into Only 32 GB!

I used the Windows 10 upgrade to place the installation files onto my 128 GB Sandisk Cruzer Flash Drive.

I later just used the regular upgrade via downloading over the internet and my upgrade went fine.

I went back to my flash drive to delete the Windows 10 off of the flash drive only to discover that my 128 GB flash drive was now hosed down to only 32 GB of storage, even after formatting the drive!

Does anyone have any suggestions how I might restore the full storage of my flash drive back to 128 GB?

Thx, in advance,

Don

DonDoornbos, Dec 8, 2019
  4. TagSale Win User

WU space problem on 32 GB netbook

Acer Aspire One Windows 10 CloudBook (MS Store Signature Edition) has 32 GB drive but only 10-12 GB free. WU requires 20 GB free for latest Win 10 update. How to resolve?

TagSale, Dec 8, 2019
Thema:

1. 32 GB Win 10-1803 free-up 8 GB impossible, external storage ignored - Similar Threads - 1803 free impossible

2. User taking up 50+ GB of storage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    User taking up 50+ GB of storage: So me and my dad has a computer togheter, but we are struggeling a bit with space on our C drive. The thing is, if I look at the storage sense tab, my user only takes up 15GB of space while my dads user takes up 52 GB. Is there a reason for this? submitted by /u/Arre27...
  3. 32 gb Ram Help

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    32 gb Ram Help: I am using 32 gb on my computer and running a few applications but my memory is at 77 percent [img] - - - Updated - - - Is there any way to find out what is using so much of it and to reduce it - - - Updated - - - i am tech savvy up to a point but don't know why this is...
  4. Upgrading to 32 GB RAM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrading to 32 GB RAM: Hi all, I have 16 GB RAM ( Two 8 GB sticks) and in the near future I want to upgrade to 32 GB RAM. Can I put another two 8 GB sticks near my other two or should I remove both 8 GB sticks and replace them by two 16 GB sticks? Thanks. My motherboard is ROG STRIX B360-H Gaming...
  5. Upgrading to 32 GB RAM

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrading to 32 GB RAM: Hi all, I have 16 GB RAM ( Two 8 GB sticks) and in the near future I want to upgrade to 32 GB RAM. Can I put another two 8 GB sticks near my other two or should I remove both 8 GB sticks and replace them by two 16 GB sticks? Thanks. My motherboard is ROG SRIX B360-H Gaming...
  6. Windows 10 storage 8 gb of "Other"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 storage 8 gb of "Other": After reverting to a stable build of Windows 10, I decided to remove some temporary files. After doing that, I find that the OS drive still takes more space than I remember it being before I installed a Windows Insider preview. When looking at "storage", I find that there...
  7. Installing a 32 GB thumb drive to increase storage.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installing a 32 GB thumb drive to increase storage.: How to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-a-32-gb-thumb-drive-to-increase-storage/58221030-9a61-4639-8b37-9de5b7cc22f3"
  8. 8 GB RAM installed but only 3.23 GB usable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    8 GB RAM installed but only 3.23 GB usable: I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 Home from Windows 7 Home. And I replaced my 4 RAM sticks with 8 GB RAM but my system shows : Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (3.23 GB usable). Please advise if anyone knows how to fix this. [img] 24275
  9. 100 GB OneDrive storage FREE for 2 years

in Windows 10 Support
    100 GB OneDrive storage FREE for 2 years: Offer expires Feb 28, 2015 Join Bing Rewards and receive a free 2 year subscription for 100 GB of storage on OneDrive. Bing explore rewards: OneDrive Get 100 GB of online storage free for 2 years Bing Rewards and OneDrive have teamed up to offer 100 GB of...
  10. Windows 10 Pro only reading 24 GB of 32 GB installed,

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Pro only reading 24 GB of 32 GB installed,: Ok so here's what I have done so far. 1) created a bootable USB with Windows 10(64 bit) upgrade 2) installed the upgrade successfully with no issues 3) when I check system info it shows only 24 GB of ram and 16 GB of this is "usable". However when I check the RAM limits on...