Windows 10: 32 GB Win 10-1803 free-up 8 GB impossible, external storage ignored

Discus and support 32 GB Win 10-1803 free-up 8 GB impossible, external storage ignored in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have Win10 vers 1803, trying to upgrade to vers 1903 on a 32 GB HP netbook. 2 user accounts, 4.5 GB free space optimized, nothing left to remove.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by den458, Dec 8, 2019.

1. den458 Win User

32 GB Win 10-1803 free-up 8 GB impossible, external storage ignored

I have Win10 vers 1803, trying to upgrade to vers 1903 on a 32 GB HP netbook.

2 user accounts, 4.5 GB free space optimized, nothing left to remove.
    3.2GB of downloaded Windows updates in SoftwareDistribution folder
    Unless I delete a user, & maybe delete Office, impossible to free-up 8 GB total free space on C: drive
    Upgrade tool says external storage device is a solution, tried 3, all > 16 GB free space, all ignored.

Advice by Microsoft I read tonight currently says USB external storage is a solution.

It also says on a Windows update page that I can select a FIX ISSUES option to setup USB external storage.

I don't have any such FIX ISSUES option.

Have read elsewhere USB external storage not an acceptable upgrade option for temporary storage.

For those unable to free 8 GB of resident memory & external USB storage is ignored by the upgrade tool...

Is upgrade to 1903 impossible?
    I think FRESH START or REINSTALL WINDOWS are options, but are they my only options?

I have HOURS invested in trying to keep this netbook functional.

Would really appreciate advice that actually works in my vers 1803.

How do I get the update tool to recognize & accept my USB external storage?

Or is it hopeless? Computers upgrade to a point of uselessness?

It's an adequate machine, as capable as 2 years ago, but over-full of updates?

Useful advice. Anyone?

:)

den458, Dec 8, 2019
  2. TNHo Win User

Windows 10 storage 8 gb of "Other"

After reverting to a stable build of Windows 10, I decided to remove some temporary files.

After doing that, I find that the OS drive still takes more space than I remember it being before I installed a Windows Insider preview.

When looking at "storage", I find that there was 8.52 gb of "Other".

When looking at other, none of the folder sizes add up to 8 gb. How do I find what's taking 8 gbs of my storage?

TNHo, Dec 8, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Install Files Turned 128 GB Flash Drive into Only 32 GB!

I used the Windows 10 upgrade to place the installation files onto my 128 GB Sandisk Cruzer Flash Drive.

I later just used the regular upgrade via downloading over the internet and my upgrade went fine.

I went back to my flash drive to delete the Windows 10 off of the flash drive only to discover that my 128 GB flash drive was now hosed down to only 32 GB of storage, even after formatting the drive!

Does anyone have any suggestions how I might restore the full storage of my flash drive back to 128 GB?

Thx, in advance,

Don

DonDoornbos, Dec 8, 2019
  4. TagSale Win User

WU space problem on 32 GB netbook

Acer Aspire One Windows 10 CloudBook (MS Store Signature Edition) has 32 GB drive but only 10-12 GB free. WU requires 20 GB free for latest Win 10 update. How to resolve?

TagSale, Dec 8, 2019
Thema:

1. 32 GB Win 10-1803 free-up 8 GB impossible, external storage ignored - Similar Threads - 1803 free impossible

2. 8 GB RAM, But 7.78 GB Unusable.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    8 GB RAM, But 7.78 GB Unusable.: Hello, So I Wanted To Know if I Can Use My Unusable RAM, Or Not, Because I Have Lot's Of Work, And I Want To Use The Unusable RAM, is There any way how to do it?...
  3. 8 GB RAM, But 7.78 GB Unusable.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    8 GB RAM, But 7.78 GB Unusable.: Hello, So I Wanted To Know if I Can Use My Unusable RAM, Or Not, Because I Have Lot's Of Work, And I Want To Use The Unusable RAM, is There any way how to do it?...
  4. Lost 7 free gb of storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost 7 free gb of storage: I had 9 gb of storage space available and I suddenly got a notification that I only had 2 gb of storage left, what happened? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-7-free-gb-of-storage/07677cbb-ee2e-4ec3-86e4-4f1622652b1e
  5. Windows 10 on a 32 GB hd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 on a 32 GB hd: I have a Lenovo ideapad with a 32 GB hard drive. Windows 10 is too big to update correctly. I run Office 365 and Quicken. No pics or music or videos. There are no "excess files" to delete to make more room. Is there anything I can do? Can I go back to an older Windows?...
  6. GB storage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    GB storage: I have 128gb it says I used 91gb why cant I download something that runs off 7gb now https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gb-storage/1159fe2f-854b-4f34-877d-69872a6a0c28
  7. Cannot free up 8 GB update Xbox app on Windows 10.

Cannot free up 8 GB update Xbox app on Windows 10.: So my Windows 10 laptop is very behind on updates version 1606 and only because the majority of the space is in System & Reserved. I have an external HDD to install stuff in, but I need to free up 8 GB on my laptop before doing anything else. I tried to use the Disk Cleanup...
  8. 8 GB of free space needed on C:

8 GB of free space needed on C:: I have a stream book that was given to me that I would really like to reset it back to its factory default however it will not allow me to reset it because it doesn’t have enough space I tried to put a USB into it to create a USB boot drive but the media creation tool stops...
  9. Windows 10 storage 8 gb of "Other"

Windows 10 storage 8 gb of "Other": After reverting to a stable build of Windows 10, I decided to remove some temporary files. After doing that, I find that the OS drive still takes more space than I remember it being before I installed a Windows Insider preview. When looking at "storage", I find that there...
  10. Installing a 32 GB thumb drive to increase storage.

Installing a 32 GB thumb drive to increase storage.: How to https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-a-32-gb-thumb-drive-to-increase-storage/58221030-9a61-4639-8b37-9de5b7cc22f3"