Windows 10: 32GB laptop - install updates on external drive

Discus and support 32GB laptop - install updates on external drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there guys, I bought a cheap 32GB Acer laptop recently and it's been quickly filled with Windows updates to the point where the largest program i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by 0nyx175, Aug 28, 2018.

1. 0nyx175 Win User

32GB laptop - install updates on external drive

Hi there guys,

I bought a cheap 32GB Acer laptop recently and it's been quickly filled with Windows updates to the point where the largest program i have installed is the Chrome browser at 387MB. I need to free up 8GB for the latest round of Windows updates but that's just not possible as i dont actually have anything installed. I've been trying to install the updates onto an external drive but i don't get the option. Can anyone help at all?
    32GB laptop - install updates on external drive [​IMG]

:)

0nyx175, Aug 28, 2018

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Aug 28, 2018
  3. Can't install update on external hard drive?

Thank you for that information Laura.

Since the Update Assistant is still not offering the option to install updates in external drive, I suggest that you create a bootable media using a USB flash drive and another one where we will install the updates. See

Create Windows 10 installation media
    and follow the steps under "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file)" to learn how.

Afterwards, follow the steps below on how to install updates :

• Connect both the USB flash drive with Windows 10 installation files
      and the other empty USB flash drive.
    • Double-click the Setup.exe file to launch the Windows 10 installation from the USB flash drive.
    • Select the Keep personal files and apps option to update your computer.
    • If you get the "Windows needs more space" option, click the
      Choose another drive
      or attach an external drive with 10GB available link.
    • Click Install
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process as necessary.

We appreciate your patience Laura. Don't hesitate to post back if you need more help.

Israel Arn, Aug 28, 2018
  4. 32GB laptop - install updates on external drive

External Seagate Drive not appearing after Creators Update

Hi Pete,

Since the problem with your external hard drive surfaced after installing the Windows 10 Creators update, then most likely it has something to do with the its driver software being outdated or broken. To help us diagnose and address this problem, we suggest
    that performing first the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter. Follow the steps below:

• In the search bar, type troubleshooting and open it.
    • In the left pane, click View all.
    • Click Hardware and Devices.
    • Click Next and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue persists, then please try to update the driver for your external hard drive. Follow these steps:

• Right-click the Windows key, then select Device Manager.
    • Locate your external device from the list. If it doesn't appear there but something appeared with a yellow or red sign, right-click on it and click
      Update Driver Software.
    • Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to finish the update.

Feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Aug 28, 2018
Thema:

32GB laptop - install updates on external drive

1. 32GB laptop - install updates on external drive - Similar Threads - 32GB laptop install

2. Why is a recovery drive of 32GB using the entire 1TB external SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is a recovery drive of 32GB using the entire 1TB external SSD?: I just purchased a new 1TB external SSD and made a Windows 11 recovery drive of it. The recovery drive uses approximately 32GB of the 1TB of space. However, it will not allow me to transfer any files to it, though there should be about 960GB available. Can a recovery drive...
  3. Why is a recovery drive of 32GB using the entire 1TB external SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is a recovery drive of 32GB using the entire 1TB external SSD?: I just purchased a new 1TB external SSD and made a Windows 11 recovery drive of it. The recovery drive uses approximately 32GB of the 1TB of space. However, it will not allow me to transfer any files to it, though there should be about 960GB available. Can a recovery drive...
  4. Updating with external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updating with external drive: I am attempting to install a windows update. I am unable to make space on the drive due to essential programs. The option for updating with an external drive comes up, then just redirects me to clean up my C drive. Is this a bug or does it still actually need the full empty...
  5. install external drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    install external drive: I am trying to install an external DVD/CD drive. I have no idea where to start. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/install-external-drive/81345b31-72e9-4c47-b45f-f6f2bb0d08c3
  6. cant install updates to external hard drive

cant install updates to external hard drive: cant install windows update to external drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-install-updates-to-external-hard-drive/fa9aa461-3774-4b8a-8776-a0a3f5459814
  7. 1909 update on laptop with 32gb ssd

1909 update on laptop with 32gb ssd: Hi Microsoft Community! How can I update my laptop 32gb ssd to 1909 version? I use a USB stick and the best free space I can get from the C: is 3.24 GB but the update keeps asking me to find 2 Gb more which is impossible! Any help?...
  8. I have a 32gb laptop and can't install windows updates, help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have a 32gb laptop and can't install windows updates, help: I use the laptop to play Minecraft, but Microsoft has upped the version required to play to windows 10 1734, I'm on version 1607. I managed to free enough space for it, but then it got stuck with "attach external storage media and press OK", so I attached a formatted 32gb sd...
  9. Install os on external drive to test laptop

Install os on external drive to test laptop: I have a Samsung laptop but I would like to build a with Windows 10 however it seems like there is no hard drive in the machine as when I try to boot nothing happens and when I looked in the bios I do not see a hard drive connected Is it possible to install the os on an...
  10. How install updates on a 32GB notebook?

How install updates on a 32GB notebook?: I tried to update windows but the progress is stuck at 4%. I checked the Ethernet tab under task manager and there was zero network traffic. My HDD have only 9GB left so I guess there isn't enough storage? So my question is how am I supposed to install updates? I read that...