Windows 10: 3D Builder - holes, subtraction, and collision

Discus and support 3D Builder - holes, subtraction, and collision in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am making models from old pieces, sometimes I need to subtract material. I am aware that large bits can be sliced off with "Split", and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by sanfrandave, Aug 28, 2021.

1. 3D Builder - holes, subtraction, and collision

I am making models from old pieces, sometimes I need to subtract material. I am aware that large bits can be sliced off with "Split", and then discarded. However, small details don't seem to be removable by the same method. My inquiry here is: do we create a shape, make it hollow, and then add it to the model? What would we then do about the "extra" sides of said object? Are we out of the frying pan, and into the fire with that methodology?I have made holes, small ones for screws to go through to affix a model to another thing, by taking a sphere, making it quite small, and then making it hol

:)

sanfrandave, Aug 28, 2021

2. how to make a hole on 3d builder

How do I make a hole in an object on 3D Builder?

dragonzalez, Aug 28, 2021
  3. Subtracting from sphere with 3D Builder doesn't work.

I want to take a sphere and mill it so its a cylinder with round ends.

I would normally create a cylinder and add a sphere to the end, but this is not what I need right now.

Adding a sphere to a cylinder that has the same radius creates a perfect smooth merge. I want my sphere radius end to be large that the cylinders radius so there would be a defined line between the 2. This requires that I subtract from the sphere.

I am doing this by subtracting a cylinder from a cube (leaving a cube with a hole in) and then using this to subtract from the sphere.

When I do this, 3D Builder locks up with a "Please wait..." message and doesn't do the subtraction. I can cancel the action by clicking the "X" on the "Please wait..." toast.

Does anyone know why this is happening or, if its a bug, when it'll be fixed?

Thanks

KarlRhodes, Aug 28, 2021
  4. 3D Builder - holes, subtraction, and collision

how to make a hole on 3d builder

to drill holes use add cylinder change size to hole size place were you

want your hole make sure it is long enough to go right through

then in edit click subtract you have a hole

See 007DavidBeach answer at bottom of thread:

How to put holes in 3D objects?

Dave Zimbrich, Aug 28, 2021
Thema:

3D Builder - holes, subtraction, and collision

1. 3D Builder - holes, subtraction, and collision - Similar Threads - Builder holes subtraction

2. 3D Builder "Subtract" function changes the smoothness of the original object

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3D Builder "Subtract" function changes the smoothness of the original object: I am attempting to use 3D Builder to cut a cylinder out of another cylinder, in effect creating a pipe with length, outer diameter and inner diameter up to my specifications. The goal is to export to .obj and use in Adobe Dimension. Dimension has a "Pipe" object but the inner...
  3. 3D Builder "Subtract" function changes the smoothness of the original object

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3D Builder "Subtract" function changes the smoothness of the original object: I am attempting to use 3D Builder to cut a cylinder out of another cylinder, in effect creating a pipe with length, outer diameter and inner diameter up to my specifications. The goal is to export to .obj and use in Adobe Dimension. Dimension has a "Pipe" object but the inner...
  4. Microsoft 3D builder wont let me subtract

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft 3D builder wont let me subtract: Microsoft 3D Builder wont let me subtract one object from anotherThings I have triedSelecting ONLY the object I want to be subtractedSelecting the object I want to be subtracted AND the object I want it to be subtracted fromUsing deselect and trying againrestarting the...
  5. Microsoft 3D builder wont let me subtract

Microsoft 3D builder wont let me subtract: Microsoft 3D Builder wont let me subtract one object from anotherThings I have triedSelecting ONLY the object I want to be subtractedSelecting the object I want to be subtracted AND the object I want it to be subtracted fromUsing deselect and trying againrestarting the...
  6. 3D builder can't subtract or zoom?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    3D builder can't subtract or zoom?: I am wanting to edit an object, by adding another object to it & then subtracting. But the subtract button is greyed out. I have tried turning on & off snap & collision in settings, to no avail.I also can't work out how to zoom. Instructs say roll the mouse, but I'm on a...
  7. 3D builder can't subtract or zoom?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3D builder can't subtract or zoom?: I am wanting to edit an object, by adding another object to it & then subtracting. But the subtract button is greyed out. I have tried turning on & off snap & collision in settings, to no avail.I also can't work out how to zoom. Instructs say roll the mouse, but I'm on a...
  8. 3D builder can't subtract or zoom?

9. holes, subtraction, and collision

holes, subtraction, and collision: I am making models from old pieces, sometimes I need to subtract material. I am aware that large bits can be sliced off with "Split", and then discarded. However, small details don't seem to be removable by the same method. My inquiry here is: do we create a shape, make it...
  10. 3D Builder can't intersect, subtract or place objects inside of other objects

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    3D Builder can't intersect, subtract or place objects inside of other objects: I'm really disappointed at all the changes made to 3D builder after the last update. They broke tons of functionality and added none it seems. I'm trying to place an object inside of another so I can use the subtract functionality, but it seems that there is some lock...