Windows 10: 3D Builder saving as .obj file with blank .mtl file - Textures/colors not saved?

Discus and support 3D Builder saving as .obj file with blank .mtl file - Textures/colors not saved? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm trying to make simple 3D objects with 3D builder. I have no trouble saving as .3mf but I need to save as .obj. When I do that, the .mtl material... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Finley S., May 27, 2021.

1. Finley S. Win User

3D Builder saving as .obj file with blank .mtl file - Textures/colors not saved?

I'm trying to make simple 3D objects with 3D builder. I have no trouble saving as .3mf but I need to save as .obj. When I do that, the .mtl material file that goes with it is blank, so the textures and colors I put on it are not saved. Is there a solution to this? How do I get the proper .mtl file?

:)

Finley S., May 27, 2021

2. 3D Builder issue. No textures

Hello

I have created a .obj file in photoshop. I have the texture files and the .mtl file but 3D builder does not ask for them when I import my model, giving me a blank model. How do I tell 3D builder to use the .mtl file and textures?

Many thanks

James

jamestech99, May 27, 2021
  3. JasLane72 Win User
    Exporting OBJ files using 3D Builder

Is there a way to simplify the OBJ export feature in 3D Builder for Windows 10? At present I’m importing GLB repair and export. When exporting as OBJ I have many file save prompts - first OBJ, then MTL, then literally 100s of PNG baked texture files. Is
    there any way around these 100s of save dialogue boxes please! Here is a video link demonstrating this issue and the many save screens I’m trying to avoid -

***Original title: 3D Builder export query***

JasLane72, May 27, 2021
  4. Steven Lu Win User

3D Builder saving as .obj file with blank .mtl file - Textures/colors not saved?

How to make Windows 10 3D Builder automatically load .mtl material when opening OBJ 3d files with textures?

When I open an .obj file in Windows it helpfully uses 3D Builder, and it also "understands" how to load texture files.

The way that wavefront obj 3d files work is that they use material files to define reference texture files.

This is a really simple case where at least three files correspond to one 3D asset. An obj 3d model file, a nearly trivial mtl file that references the texture, and the texture file which is a jpg.

All of these files are in the same folder.

When opening the obj, 3D Builder does not realize that the mtl is in the same folder. And it prompts, requiring us to "Proceed" to search the filesystem for the mtl and then subsequently all referenced image files.

THEY ARE ALL IN THE SAME FOLDER!

The flow is slightly better when using the 3D Builder's Open -> Load Object menu, this remembers the directory that you opened the .obj from, at least, but I have to manually navigate to the .obj file to begin with in the UI as well.

I wonder if there is any configuration that can help improve this horrible workflow. I guess maybe if the obj/mtl files used absolute paths to reference the file it may work the way I want it to.

Steven Lu, May 27, 2021
Thema:

1. 3D Builder saving as .obj file with blank .mtl file - Textures/colors not saved? - Similar Threads - Builder saving obj

2. Trouble with saving in Microsoft 3D Builder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trouble with saving in Microsoft 3D Builder: I am trying to put a 3d model together that I purchased from etsy, there are about 15 files with different parts, but I inserted all the files in at once to create the full model, so I can save it as a full model to save time and have it 3d printed in one go. But when I save...
  3. Trouble with saving in Microsoft 3D Builder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trouble with saving in Microsoft 3D Builder: I am trying to put a 3d model together that I purchased from etsy, there are about 15 files with different parts, but I inserted all the files in at once to create the full model, so I can save it as a full model to save time and have it 3d printed in one go. But when I save...
  4. why can't i create an OBJ file with color 3D builder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why can't i create an OBJ file with color 3D builder: every time i create a OBJ file with 3D builder, it stays black and white, please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-create-an-obj-file-with-color-3d/f936d3eb-a424-475f-aadf-a878a8dd9c20
  5. why can't i create an OBJ file with color 3D builder

why can't i create an OBJ file with color 3D builder: every time i create a OBJ file with 3D builder, it stays black and white, please help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-cant-i-create-an-obj-file-with-color-3d/f936d3eb-a424-475f-aadf-a878a8dd9c20
  6. 3D builder not exporter 3MF to OBJ in color

3D builder not exporter 3MF to OBJ in color: I have a model that I generated in Houdini that stores color as a point attribute. I export from Houdini as a GLTF and then import to 3D builder and export as a 3MF for 3D printing. I want to make a render in Maya but anytime I export as an OBJ there are no texture files...
  7. 3D Builder .3mf .obj - No texture when imported to Powerpoint.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3D Builder .3mf .obj - No texture when imported to Powerpoint.: When i import a .3mf or .obj into PowerPoint it does not import the textures, meaning the work i have done to add some realism to my builds is not transferred. I have added 3 images - 1. the 3D Builder .3mf file open in 3D Builder 2. The file preview as i am importing into...
  8. Can't open auto saves in 3D builder.

Can't open auto saves in 3D builder.: I click to open them, but this happens. I really need to be able to open this as I am printing the specifically sliced parts and can't start over. The app closed on me randomly. [ATTACH]...
  9. Exporting OBJ files using 3D Builder

Exporting OBJ files using 3D Builder: Is there a way to simplify the OBJ export feature in 3D Builder for Windows 10? At present I’m importing GLB repair and export. When exporting as OBJ I have many file save prompts - first OBJ, then MTL, then literally 100s of PNG baked texture files. Is there any way around...
  10. saving a repaired obj file in 3D builder

saving a repaired obj file in 3D builder: When I open an obj file in 3D builder it (always) gives me a warning message that the object is falsely defined. After running the automatic repair, the object appears to be fine. When I then save it and re-open the obj file, it is again displayed as being falsely defined and...