Windows 10: 3D Builder weird scaling issue in metric vs imperial

Discus and support 3D Builder weird scaling issue in metric vs imperial in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Using Windows 10 build 19041.630 and 3D Builder 18.0.1931.0 I didn't notice since I usually don't scale objects with 3D Builder, but today I noticed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by tricky-2k, Nov 20, 2020.

1. tricky-2k Win User

3D Builder weird scaling issue in metric vs imperial

Using Windows 10 build 19041.630 and 3D Builder 18.0.1931.0

I didn't notice since I usually don't scale objects with 3D Builder, but today I noticed this weird behaviour when trying to scale an STL, and it doesn't make a lick of sense. One may expect that, when importing any file, the scale % will always start with 100% and, from there, one can upscale or downscale as convenient. However, it's not the case. To make things more weird, it's affected by the measure unit you choose when loading the STL

See this first gif. I'm loading an STL made by myself with other app, in metric units mm. 3D Builder is also set to mm. Then I repair a minor issue and go to scale, changing the unit to percentage. Instead of showing 100%, it shows 3,94%. But what's worst is that, if I click on the box to change the value, is 3,937%

3D Builder weird scaling issue in metric vs imperial 978fb485-ae3d-4bf6-a552-b59db18d2e2b?upload=true.gif

Now I load the exact same STL but, when importing it, I choose inches. Even though I chose inches, the dimensions in the lower bar still show mm, but not the exact same values as before but a rough approximation for X and Y, and something completely different for Z. Then I click the scale button and... 100%. It makes absolutely no sense, not a single bit. I guess that, if I change the app units to inches in settings, I'd see the lower bar showing inches, but that's not the issue at all

3D Builder weird scaling issue in metric vs imperial db900df3-f883-480b-8a9f-9bd2ba5882bd?upload=true.gif

Also, the size in mm when you click on the scale button it's completely different than the previous one, the one loaded with mm units. This renders the scale tool totally unreliable and unusable

Something must be wrong with the app's engine, in the way it's dealing with the units

:)

tricky-2k, Nov 20, 2020
  2. aldene25 Win User

Changing metric to imperial in maps

I know how to get to the place where I can switch from metric to imperial, but when I highlight the 'imperial' setting, or click 'change', it doesn't change, but stays on metric. Does anyone else have this. I really like ovi maps, but living in the UK,
    would prefer to have the units in miles.

Glyn

aldene25, Nov 20, 2020
  3. daveg2812 Win User
    Changing metric to imperial in maps

I know how to get to the place where I can switch from metric to imperial, but when I highlight the 'imperial' setting, or click 'change', it doesn't change, but stays on metric. Does anyone else have this. I really like ovi maps, but living in the UK,
    would prefer to have the units in miles.

Dave

daveg2812, Nov 20, 2020
  4. 3D Builder weird scaling issue in metric vs imperial

3D Builder Exports OBJ with odd scale

Hello, 3D Builder is an amazing application with probably the most intuitive user interface I've used to edit 3D models.

I recently decided to include it in my 3D authoring pipeline because 3D Builder makes it super easy simplify models while also keeping them water tight. Unfortunately, I've been having some trouble with the scaling. 3D models exported from 3D Builder
    do not keep the original scale.

For instance, if I export a sphere on Blender3D with a diameter of 1. After importing on 3D Builder and exporting it as an OBJ, this sphere will have a diameter of 1000.

Danilo Gasques, Nov 20, 2020
Thema:

3D Builder weird scaling issue in metric vs imperial

1. 3D Builder weird scaling issue in metric vs imperial - Similar Threads - Builder weird scaling

2. 3d builder vs cura

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3d builder vs cura: bonjour quand je crée un objet avec les mesures de 3d builder,que j'enregistre le fichier en slt , lorsque je l'ouvre dans cura il n'est plus à la bonne échelle que faire pour résoudre le problème merci...
  3. 3d builder vs cura

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3d builder vs cura: bonjour quand je crée un objet avec les mesures de 3d builder,que j'enregistre le fichier en slt , lorsque je l'ouvre dans cura il n'est plus à la bonne échelle que faire pour résoudre le problème merci...
  4. 3d builder vs cura

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. 3D builder issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3D builder issues: I've made quite a few things with 3d builder but lately I've had problems. If I make an object say 2omm x 20,\mm everything is fine even when saved as an STL.But if I make an object 10mm x 10mm and save to STL, then the STL becomes 100mmx100mm. This only happens with small...
  6. 3D Builder Resolution Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3D Builder Resolution Issues: Hello, I have been using 3D builder to repair my stl files for a few months without issue, but I am experiencing a strange resolution issue, suddenly. Whenever I try to repair the latest series of files, it causes a weird texture/lowered resolution to appear. How can I stop...
  7. 3D Builder Resolution Issues

3D Builder Resolution Issues: Hello, I have been using 3D builder to repair my stl files for a few months without issue, but I am experiencing a strange resolution issue, suddenly. Whenever I try to repair the latest series of files, it causes a weird texture/lowered resolution to appear. How can I stop...
  8. 3D Builder weird scaling issue in metric vs imperial

3D Builder weird scaling issue in metric vs imperial: First of all, good to know that this forum exists. I was an avid user of sevenforums for support and troubleshooting, much better than MS support forums by far Actually, I posted the same question/problem there, so I just copy and paste here:...
  9. 3D builder issues

3D builder issues: Is there ever going to be an update to fix 3D builder? Some of the STL files show that they need to be repaired. When you click repair , the progress bar goes about three quarters of the way up and stops. It never finishes the repair. I let it sit for six and a half hours one...
  10. 3D Builder smoothing issues

3D Builder smoothing issues: Hi, I am hoping someone can help. I have a 3D file which is fairly low poly. In 3D builder, the 'smoothing' filter makes the object look perfect, nice crisp edges, but smoother surfaces. As far as I know there's no UV or other data that's giving it the 'look' of being...