Windows 10: 3D Viewer does not read expected file formats

Discus and support 3D Viewer does not read expected file formats in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello. There is "3D Viewer" app available at Microsoft Store see the link below. The authors claim that the app can read FBX files. In fact, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MichałPe, Nov 23, 2020.

1. MichałPe Win User

3D Viewer does not read expected file formats

Hello.
    There is "3D Viewer" app available at Microsoft Store see the link below. The authors claim that the app can read FBX files. In fact, it doesn't. FBX is not even listed as one of the supported file formats. Please add FBX support.

Is this the right place to also put feature requests? Because 3DS format would also be welcome. OBJ, FBX and 3DS altogether are the most common formats used across 3D graphics. It would be a great benefit to have them all supported.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/przegladarka-3d/9nblggh42ths?activetab=pivot3D Viewer does not read expected file formats :eek:verviewtab

:)

MichałPe, Nov 23, 2020
  2. D.I.V. Win User

STL file support in Paint 3D: ASCII versus binary format

I have a variety of binary-format STL files that
    can be quickly opened with each of the following:

• Microsoft Paint 3D (version 6.1907.18017.0);
    • Microsoft 3D Viewer (version 7.1908.9012.0);
    • Microsoft 3D Builder (version 18.0.1931.0); and
    • Microsoft Print 3D (version 3.3.791.0).
    However, when the exact same geometry is represented in ASCII-format STL files, they
    cannot be
    take ages to be opened by Paint 3D.

They can still be opened by each of the other three applications (3D Viewer,
    3D Builder, and Print 3D) within a sensible amount of time.

The operating system is Microsoft Windows 10 Pro for Workstations (64 bit). The computer is a very powerful workstation, and the files — which are not huge — are stored on a local-network drive.

As an example, for one STL in binary format (~1 MB in size)
    Paint 3D
    takes less than one second to open it, but with the identical geometry in
    ASCII format (~4 MB in size) it takes
    almost three minutes (2 minutes and 45 seconds).

In contrast 3D Viewer and Print 3D each take about
    3–4 seconds to launch and load either format, while 3D Builder takes about
    2–3 seconds to launch and load
    either format
    . In other words, the time they take shows no apparent dependence upon whether the STL file contents are saved in binary or ASCII format.

Is this a bug in Paint 3D? Why is it so much slower than the other three Microsoft applications when it comes to STL files in ASCII format??

—DIV

D.I.V., Nov 23, 2020
  3. Unable to open .obj file in Mixed Reality viewer error 'couldn't load 3d model'.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community Forums.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

I can understand the situation must be difficult for you when the file or program doesn't work as it should.

1. Are you aware of any changes made to the PC prior to this issue?
    2. From which website did you download the file?
    3. Are you able to open other files in mixed reality viewer?

I would like to let you know that Mixed Reality is a combination of augmented reality and traditional Virtual Reality.

Suggest you to follow these steps to check if that helps.

1. Open the folder that contains the .OBJ file.
    2. Right-click the file. A context menu will expand.
    3. Click ‘Open with’. It’s at the top of the menu. Another menu will expand.
    4. Click Paint 3D. This opens the file on your PC. The .OBJ files are also supported by Adobe Photoshop and Mixed Reality Viewer.

Articles for Reference.

Windows Mixed Reality help:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4041156/windows-10-mixed-reality-help

Windows 10 Tip: Get started with the Mixed Reality Viewer app:
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/01/08/windows-10-tip-get-started-mixed-reality-viewer-app/#cLAGDCjvX2SU2wh4.97

Further, you may also want to download this app from the Microsoft Store to check if the makes any difference.

3D Viewer:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/3d-viewer/9nblggh42ths?SilentAuth=1&wa=wsignin1.0&activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Nov 23, 2020
  4. 3D Viewer does not read expected file formats

Sending 3D created files as an email attachment

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually, the 3D files saved from Mixed reality viewer or Paint 3D will be saved in the folder 3D Objects on the PC.

Since you want to send the 3D file that you created as an email attachment, you can do it by going to the email app you are using and attach the file by locating the 3D objects folder. Follow the steps to locate the 3D objects folder while attaching
    the 3D file.

1. Click on the Attachment option on the email app.
    2. Now on the attachment window locate This PC on the left hand side pane.
    3. The 3D Objects folder will be under Folders on the right hand side pane.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

3D Viewer does not read expected file formats

1. 3D Viewer does not read expected file formats - Similar Threads - Viewer does read

2. 3D Viewer not working when opening files that are in folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3D Viewer not working when opening files that are in folders: Hi all! So after transitioning to Windows 11, I observed an issue with 3D Viewer. I work a lot with 3D files, mainly .stl and it seems that after moving to Win 11 3D Viewer is working only when I open something that is located on the desktop. I can open 3D file directly from...
  3. 3D Viewer not working when opening files that are in folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3D Viewer not working when opening files that are in folders: Hi all! So after transitioning to Windows 11, I observed an issue with 3D Viewer. I work a lot with 3D files, mainly .stl and it seems that after moving to Win 11 3D Viewer is working only when I open something that is located on the desktop. I can open 3D file directly from...
  4. 3D objects not opening with 3D viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3D objects not opening with 3D viewer: Hello,I want to tell you that my 3D projects are not opening with 3D viewer when I double click on them. They are opening when we right click > Open or with Paint 3D. I have made them with Paint 3D in Windows 10 but when I joined the Insider Program for Windows 11 they are...
  5. 3D objects not opening with 3D viewer

3D objects not opening with 3D viewer: Hello,I want to tell you that my 3D projects are not opening with 3D viewer when I double click on them. They are opening when we right click > Open or with Paint 3D. I have made them with Paint 3D in Windows 10 but when I joined the Insider Program for Windows 11 they are...
  6. Is it possible to extend default 3D Viewer to show my custom model format?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to extend default 3D Viewer to show my custom model format?: Is there an API to make a kind of plugin to view models in my custom format? I don't want to convert them into a well-known format that 3D Viewer supports because there're too much of these files i need to viewP.S. I didn't find the correct sub-topic related to the 3D viewer...
  7. Is it possible to extend default 3D Viewer to show my custom model format?

Is it possible to extend default 3D Viewer to show my custom model format?: Is there an API to make a kind of plugin to view models in my custom format? I don't want to convert them into a well-known format that 3D Viewer supports because there're too much of these files i need to viewP.S. I didn't find the correct sub-topic related to the 3D viewer...
  8. 3D Viewer does not recognize vertex colors in PLY?

3D Viewer does not recognize vertex colors in PLY?: 3D Viewer and Paint 3D as well consistently does not recognize vertex colors in PLY files. The mesh is rendered as the default gray, and the "Stats & Shading" pane in 3D viewer says there are no vertex colors. Windows 10 64-bit, 3D Viewer version 7.2010.15012.0, nVidia...
  9. 3D viewer not opening

3D viewer not opening: When I try to open a .obj file from file explorer, 3D viewer does not load at all. It is stuck on this screen: [ATTACH] Can somebody please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/3d-viewer-not-opening/b11137a8-f872-428b-9709-1be205a2da98
  10. For 3D Viewer, where are the 3D Library Files?

For 3D Viewer, where are the 3D Library Files?: How do I get the files from the 3D Library so I can convert/open them in a different program? 'Save As' only saves as as .GLB files, I need .OBJ files. 'Export' only exports images....