Windows 10: 3D Viewer does not recognize vertex colors in PLY?

Discus and support 3D Viewer does not recognize vertex colors in PLY? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; 3D Viewer and Paint 3D as well consistently does not recognize vertex colors in PLY files. The mesh is rendered as the default gray, and the "Stats &... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JC_980, Apr 19, 2021.

1. JC_980 Win User

3D Viewer does not recognize vertex colors in PLY?

3D Viewer and Paint 3D as well consistently does not recognize vertex colors in PLY files. The mesh is rendered as the default gray, and the "Stats & Shading" pane in 3D viewer says there are no vertex colors.

Windows 10 64-bit, 3D Viewer version 7.2010.15012.0, nVidia Quadro RTX 4000 latest drivers afaik

PLY file: terrain.ply zipped

Screenshot:

3D Viewer does not recognize vertex colors in PLY? 2aa08b16-9d0c-4d11-9783-525517fb476f?upload=true.png

PLY file header is, the color property names should be standard. File was generated with MeshLab:

ply

format binary_little_endian 1.0

comment VCGLIB generated

element vertex 66049

property float x

property float y

property float z

property float nx

property float ny

property float nz

property uchar red

property uchar green

property uchar blue

property uchar alpha

element face 131072

property list uchar int vertex_indices

end_header

Is this a known issue? Is there something I can do about it? The colors load fine in other 3rd party apps MeshLab, Meshmixer, libassimp. I can't tell if the issue is an error in the PLY format where Windows stuff is less forgiving or an error in the Windows apps.

:)

JC_980, Apr 19, 2021

2. 3D Builder load .ply file error 0x80004005

Same 0x80004005 error with a 900kB ascii ply.

possible reason is a limited PLY support in 3D Builder, hence the following solution:

http://support.hp.com/id-en/document/c04951971

ply
    format ascii 1.0
    comment author: Smarttech
    element vertex 13711
    property float x
    property float y
    property float z
    property uchar red
    property uchar green
    property uchar blue
    end_header
    69.4278 26.8233 24.8081 51 51 51

Windows 10 Polish up-to-date.

Please Mr Microsoft Man, this time either provide a comprehensive list of supported PLY formats, a plausible solution or just leave an empty comment below.

SPOILER, this is not a solution:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-3d-builder-and-3d-scan-for-windows#v1h=tab01

Jakub Krzeslowski, Apr 19, 2021
  3. Windows 10 - 3D Builder & Paint 3D cannot import PLY files

Hi All,

I am creating PLY files and while they can be loaded properly by MeshLab (www.meshlab.net), thay cannot be loaded by the applicaations bundled with Windows 10:

- 3D Builder reports "cannot load, error 0x80004005

- Paint 3D reports "cannot load"

Below is an example of a .PLY file content, that produce the described error:

ply

format ascii 1.0

element vertex 1

property double x

property double y

property double z

end_header

13 -75.5 -15.435

May you please look into this?

rgrds

Andrea Camporeale

AndreaCamporeale, Apr 19, 2021
  4. 3D Viewer does not recognize vertex colors in PLY?

3D Builder not loading ply file

Okay I can now see that 3D Builder loads files with faces defined.

It would have been nice if the 3D Bulder also supported only vertex's.

About the "wrong" example.

As the model define 6 properties for each vertex, the data after the header is correct!

First comes the x, y, z coordinates. Then comes the color as red, green, blue.

KåreJensen, Apr 19, 2021
Thema:

3D Viewer does not recognize vertex colors in PLY?

1. 3D Viewer does not recognize vertex colors in PLY? - Similar Threads - Viewer does recognize

2. 3D objects not opening with 3D viewer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    3D objects not opening with 3D viewer: Hello,I want to tell you that my 3D projects are not opening with 3D viewer when I double click on them. They are opening when we right click > Open or with Paint 3D. I have made them with Paint 3D in Windows 10 but when I joined the Insider Program for Windows 11 they are...
  3. 3D objects not opening with 3D viewer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3D objects not opening with 3D viewer: Hello,I want to tell you that my 3D projects are not opening with 3D viewer when I double click on them. They are opening when we right click > Open or with Paint 3D. I have made them with Paint 3D in Windows 10 but when I joined the Insider Program for Windows 11 they are...
  4. 3D Viewer does not read expected file formats

3D Viewer does not read expected file formats: Hello. There is "3D Viewer" app available at Microsoft Store see the link below. The authors claim that the app can read FBX files. In fact, it doesn't. FBX is not even listed as one of the supported file formats. Please add FBX support. Is this the right place to also put...
  5. colors in Paint 3D

colors in Paint 3D: Hello~ How to you get the color bright white in Paint 3D? The white available is more of cream color when compared to the bright white Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/colors-in-paint-3d/c3f7cbdd-f9c7-4976-b536-5dcc76c43890
  6. 3D viewer not opening

3D viewer not opening: When I try to open a .obj file from file explorer, 3D viewer does not load at all. It is stuck on this screen: [ATTACH] Can somebody please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/3d-viewer-not-opening/b11137a8-f872-428b-9709-1be205a2da98
  7. dvd not plying

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dvd not plying: can't get my dvd player to play https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-not-plying/17e100e3-c1ca-4c9d-8341-68ece50f00f8
  8. Update process for 3D Viewer

Update process for 3D Viewer: I have been looking for information on the update process regarding the following update advisory ADV200004 Availability of updates for Microsoft software utilizing the Autodesk FBX library but can't seem to find any specifics anywhere. Is this App automatically updated...
  9. For 3D Viewer, where are the 3D Library Files?

For 3D Viewer, where are the 3D Library Files?: How do I get the files from the 3D Library so I can convert/open them in a different program? 'Save As' only saves as as .GLB files, I need .OBJ files. 'Export' only exports images....
  10. Plying videos on a browser

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Plying videos on a browser: Hi, i got a problrm when i play videos on a browser (doesn't matters what browser) and everything is normal until i change the tab or minimize the browser, then the screen strart to crashes so badly i cant even explain that, i have an asus with a Nvidia GeForce 930mx and an...