Windows 10: 3rd party apps shortcuts disappeared on Start Menu; Startmenu.diagcab found issue but...

Discus and support 3rd party apps shortcuts disappeared on Start Menu; Startmenu.diagcab found issue but... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.906] The problem occurred suddenly and seemingly without a cause. Not all, but nearly half of so many personal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Windows Category - All, Mar 31, 2021.

1. 3rd party apps shortcuts disappeared on Start Menu; Startmenu.diagcab found issue but...

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.906]

The problem occurred suddenly and seemingly without a cause. Not all, but nearly half of so many personal apps' shortcuts disappeared on the Startmenu, some of them may be new but some were very old. I thought I'd just repin them all over again. But no, Repin Won't Work either. Nothing new can be pinned. Unpin works, however.

I then tried startmenu.diagcab a few times. All but the same result:

3rd party apps shortcuts disappeared on Start Menu; Startmenu.diagcab found issue but... f45debc3-95e7-4c00-a325-77de56f47f0a?upload=true.jpg

And then I tried the in-place upgrade by MediaCreationTool20H2.exe. The first time I got "0xC1900101-0x2000C failed in SAFE-OS phase with error during APPLY-IMAGE operation".

Following some advice, I freed up more space on system drive and tried two more times, both came with the same error: "0x800707E7-0x3000D The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation."

Update function works fine within the system. wu10.diagcab found no issue. Everthing else seems to be fine.

I'm running out of ideas. Please help!

Fresh reinstallation is the last thing I want. It would be a nightmare for me.

:)

Windows Category - All, Mar 31, 2021

2. Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10  

Hi, @Brink:

My caffeine titer is low, so I must be missing some blatant, basic step to add a shortcut to my account's All Apps list in the Start menu (Option1).
    The new process both for creating shortcuts and for adding/removing items to the Win10 start menu has me flummoxed.
    Your tutorials are always "topnotch", so this must be a cockpit error on my part.

>I would like to follow the suggestion on page 1 of the wushowhide.diagcab tutorial to add a shortcut in All Apps for my account.

I have d/l the wushowhide.diagcab and saved it to my downloads folder.
    I have done Step 1 on Page 1 of THIS tutorial to navigate to the Start Menu Programs folder.
    But HOW do I actually complete Step 3 to create a shortcut and then add it to the Start Menu "All Apps"??

I think I need to first somehow create a shortcut for the .cab file and then add it to All Apps in the start menu???

Please advise.

Thanks!
    MM

P.S. I have been postponing the probably inevitable installation of Class Shell.
    I would rather not have to install a 3rd-party program to be able to perform basic Windows tasks.
    But this new workflow in Win10 for a basic functionality might force me to do it.
    Sigh.

MoxieMomma, Mar 31, 2021
  3. Can't add shortcuts to all apps in start menu

Hello,

I understand your concern. please follow the below simple steps, and check.

Refer to the suggestion provided by Shawn 'cmdr' Keene [MVP] replied on August 5, 2015 from the below link
    How to ADD a shortcut to "All Apps" menus in Start Menu W10

How to ADD a shortcut to "All Apps" menus in Start Menu W10

Do let us know the update of the issue.

Thank you.

Pratiksha Devadiga, Mar 31, 2021
  4. RodHarney Win User

3rd party apps shortcuts disappeared on Start Menu; Startmenu.diagcab found issue but...

How to pin shortcut to start menu.

This sounds great... only problem is that the hidden folder in Windows 10 "C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" contains five folders and no files. If I add my shortcut to the "Programs" folder as suggested, it does NOT appear
    in the "All apps" list. If I put it in the "Windows System" folder, a subfolder of "Programs" which contains 7 other shortcuts that show up in "All apps", my shortcut still does not appear. I really don't care about "The common way" or "the more elegant way",
    I just want to know how to accomplish this, and so far, these solutions just don't work. It seems like there should be a folder, somewhere, where all the shortcuts for the "All apps" list are stored. I hope someone can help me with this frustrating issue.

RodHarney, Mar 31, 2021
Thema:

3rd party apps shortcuts disappeared on Start Menu; Startmenu.diagcab found issue but...

1. 3rd party apps shortcuts disappeared on Start Menu; Startmenu.diagcab found issue but... - Similar Threads - 3rd party apps

2. Issue with location on 3rd party application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with location on 3rd party application: I am having issues with location on 2 3rd party application that deal with online poker and also online sports betting. Both cant locate me and I am not able to get on the to do things. One is a download on my desktop and the other is using google chrome. I can access from...
  3. vetted 3rd party apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    vetted 3rd party apps: is Restoro an approved program to fixed windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vetted-3rd-party-apps/7897334f-71f3-427b-a825-2acb08005f7a
  4. vetted 3rd party apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    vetted 3rd party apps: is Restoro an approved program to fixed windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vetted-3rd-party-apps/7897334f-71f3-427b-a825-2acb08005f7a
  5. vetted 3rd party apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. 3rd party apps not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    3rd party apps not working: 3rd party apps are not working and wont download im not in S mode when I got to activation it says Windows 10 home edition. Anyone know why or have a solution I updated yesterday and steam and stuff quit working today....
  7. Is this possible without 3rd party apps? Taskbar folder of shortcuts that expands with...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is this possible without 3rd party apps? Taskbar folder of shortcuts that expands with...: Is this possible without apps? Taskbar folder of shortcuts that expands with icons. Similar to Windows Toolbars. But instead of the double lines separator and having to click the little >> to expand a list of tiny icons. I want a single Icon with no arrows, on the Taskbar...
  8. Opening a 3rd party app

Opening a 3rd party app: I keep getting this message when I click on a link to a purchase, "you'll need a new app to open this mql4buy" I understand Microsoft Store will not have an app for opening this file. The app I purchased works for Meta Trader 4, a platform for forex trading. Can I...
  9. 3rd party Apps not showing in all apps menu

3rd party Apps not showing in all apps menu: I apologise for posting this problem again, but seem to have exhausted options, so hoped by starting a new thread, may get some new ideas. Installed Apps not showing in all apps menu. resolved the same problem on my laptop, by running a script provided by Cliff S, but...
  10. Shortcuts' icons disappear in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcuts' icons disappear in Start Menu: Whenever I move shortcuts to a folder in the Start Menu, a lot of times the icon turns into what appears to be a white blank sheet of paper. I've tried changing the icon, to no avail. They show up just fine in the Start Menu, just not in File Explorer. How do I fix this? 82451