Windows 10: 3rd Party Software - Self Installation

Discus and support 3rd Party Software - Self Installation in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, yesterday the 8th I noticed a very peculiar issue that has only just started. It seems that at startup Windows is reinstalling 3rd party... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by 1CM69, Jan 8, 2016.

1. 1CM69 Win User

3rd Party Software - Self Installation

Hi,

yesterday the 8th I noticed a very peculiar issue that has only just started.

It seems that at startup Windows is reinstalling 3rd party software that is already currently installed and has been for some time.

I only noticed this because for some reason while attempting to create a video in PS CS6, (which I have done many times before), the IMPORT > IMAGE SEQUENCE function was, (and still is), not working so I was considering a complete uninstall of PS, hence opening the PROGRAMS & FEATURES app.

Immediately I could see that 28 of my installed programs were showing that they had only been installed on that day, see below:

3rd Party Software - Self Installation [​IMG]

This is completely wrong, I have had those programs installed for months, the last actual program that I installed was the Amazon Cloud Drive which I installed on the 7th, it's shown in the above image.

I have no idea what is going on here and a Google search has so far proved fruitless.

Today the 9th after startup I went straight to the PROGRAMS & FEATURES app only to find that yet again a program had miraculously installed itself with no input or warning to inform me, see below:

At the top of the list it shows 'Flickr Uploader for Windows' as newly installed but as you can see from the first image, that same program is already installed.

This is extremely strange behaviour & I have run Window Defender & MalwareBytes scans but nothing harmful has been found.

Is this a new function of Windows 10 1511?

:)

1CM69, Jan 8, 2016
  2. WinLose Win User

Installing 3rd party software

I'm afraid I'm having the same problem (maybe). I copied BrainSchool (for touch screens) to my Dell AXIM (has WIndows Mobile 2003 SE). When I doubletap on the file (brainschool_touch.cab) I get "Setup Failed - Not a valid Windows CE file"

Am I too down-level to run Brain School? Or is part of "brain school" having the smarts to install it, LOL!

Thanks in advance!

WinLose, Jan 8, 2016
  3. Installing 3rd party software

aircooled007, how did you make out after Johan's explanation? Did you get it to work?

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Jan 8, 2016
  4. pyramid10 Win User

That is certainly creepy!!! Where are the program installers? If they are inaccessible, then the programs aren't being reinstalled. Something else woild be at work here.

They certainly aren't program updates. Two I recognize are still older versions.

pyramid10, Jan 9, 2016
  5. 1CM69 Win User
    Hi,

yes it is a little creepy.

There are no program installers accessible as once I have installed a program the setups are removed from my PC and stored on a DVD for archiving.

This morning when I started up it was the Flickr Uploader that once again showed that it had been installed on today's date:

I have just uninstalled this program as I don't use it anyway.

Just a thought but is there a log file somewhere within Windows that records all the installation data i.e. dates etc when programs get installed?

Could this be corrupted in some way?

Regards..,

1CM69, Jan 9, 2016
  6. lx07 Win User
    lx07, Jan 9, 2016
  7. 1CM69 Win User
    Thanks for all the info, Reliability Monitor doesn't show anything untoward so I can only assume that its some kind of glitch in the latest Windows.

The Flickr Uploader for Windows program that I have now uninstalled did have a file called Update.exe in it's directory which also contained log file called SquirrelUpdate. As this program loads with Windows at startup I can only assume that it then pings a server checking for an update but for some reason Windows interprets this as a new install.

This might also account for the Adobe programs as the updater also starts with Windows.

Perhaps the issue is because of scheduled update tasks & some recent Windows update is somehow screwing with the info, who knows.

At least I can see that I am not alone with this and that it has started only recently.

1CM69, Jan 9, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Just wondering, did you do an in place upgrade install then? It looks as if a bunch of my programs have an installed date corresponding to when I did that - maybe 50%. Quite a few still show early dates though.

dalchina, Jan 9, 2016
  9. 1CM69 Win User
    I updated W10 to v1511 on 31st Dec as an inplace update.

The issue may have started then but I cannot say as I had no reason to look at the installed prog list until the 8th of Jan.

As of 11th of Jan I am not getting this issue any longer but I will keep a check on it daily for a while.

1CM69, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 3rd Party Software - Self Installation - Similar Threads - 3rd Party Software

2. 3rd party software recommendations please

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    3rd party software recommendations please: I've created unallocated space on the d drive in disk management & now need 3rd party software to move the space to the c drive. Looking for recommendations from the software users, not developers or employees of software houses thanks....
  3. 3rd party software recommendations please

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3rd party software recommendations please: I've created unallocated space on the d drive in disk management & now need 3rd party software to move the space to the c drive. Looking for recommendations from the software users, not developers or employees of software houses thanks....
  4. Use of legacy 3rd party software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Use of legacy 3rd party software: With Windows 11 can I still run legacy 3rd party software as administrator? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/use-of-legacy-3rd-party-software/3a0dbfaa-5718-4f40-b531-6589e1a35fdd
  5. Use of legacy 3rd party software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Use of legacy 3rd party software: With Windows 11 can I still run legacy 3rd party software as administrator? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/use-of-legacy-3rd-party-software/3a0dbfaa-5718-4f40-b531-6589e1a35fdd
  6. Using 3rd Party Imaging Software

Using 3rd Party Imaging Software: When creating a disk image is it necessary to backup all partitions on the diskor only c:?What would happen when try to restore an image of c:,will it try to delete all other partitions or simply replace c:?Also, Window Disk Management is reporting 2 drives C: and Disk 0...
  7. Redundant 3rd party software in WinSxS

Redundant 3rd party software in WinSxS: Why is there redundant software i.e. program uninstalled in WinSxS and how do I clean it out?For example, I uninstalled Flash many months ago and took steps to clean any remainder in AppData folders, intending to leave no trace. When I search now for 'Flash' using Everything...
  8. Install 3rd Party Software

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install 3rd Party Software: I attempted to install 3rd party software (IObit Uninstaller) by double-clicking on the downloaded .exe file in my Download folder. I received the following Windows 10 message window: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the...
  9. 3rd party software update failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    3rd party software update failed: I am trying to install GarminExpress on my laptop to update my GPS but the installation fails. Garmin says it has something to do with my account or my security on my laptop but I haven't the foggiest idea what it could possibly be. I have no idea what to do to change...
  10. 3rd party antivirus software

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    3rd party antivirus software: I'm thinking about getting Trend Micro antivirus software for my laptop. Is Trend Micro compatible with Windows 10 Home version 1803? Has anyone used Trend Micro and if so, how do you like it? Thank you for your time....