Windows 10: 3TB disk showing as 1TB

Discus and support 3TB disk showing as 1TB in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I've just installed a 3TB Toshiba hdwd130 and it's only showing as 1TB? I've used 2TB disks before, but this is the first 3TB disk I've tried to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by winchesterstoke, Feb 15, 2016.

1. 3TB disk showing as 1TB

Hi, I've just installed a 3TB Toshiba hdwd130 and it's only showing as 1TB?

I've used 2TB disks before, but this is the first 3TB disk I've tried to use.

The disk controller on the MB is an RS880P.

I've checked and the drivers all appear to be the latest. Any ideas please?

Thanks

:)

winchesterstoke, Feb 15, 2016

2. Disk Management

Hi BulldogXX

Many thanks for your reply. Could you please advise your procedure of expanding a formatted volume. The disk in question is a 3TB one which has been divided into 2TB & 1TB. 2TB is in use as a backup as D: & 1 TB shows as unallocated with no ID & I wish
    use them as 2 separate entities naturally with discrete identification.

Keith

Keith Dalton, Feb 15, 2016
  3. Will the update to Windows 10 delete my partitions?

I just updated from win7 to win10 and one of my partitions just went missing!!!! Where is it? I can't access it anywhere, almost as if it vanished. This disk has 3tbs one partition where the OS is had 2tbs and the other one had 1tb, that same one vanished
    out of thin air. Any suggestions to get it and it's data back?

Rui Ferreira 13, Feb 15, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

3TB disk showing as 1TB

For disk > 2TB. You must initialize it as GPT disk.

topgundcp, Feb 15, 2016
  5. Many thanks. I've converted it to a GPT disk but it's still showing as 1TB?

6. Private Win User
    There might be an unallocated space that Windows 10 did not recognized.

You can try various tool to maximize the volume and convert it into GPT e.g. Windows DiskPart:

• Win+X, choose Command Prompt (Admin)
    • diskpart - to initialize DiskPart
    • list disk - to see all the connected hard drives
    • select disk # - replace the # with the 3TB disk we are focusing at e.g. select disk 3
    • clean - this will delete all partitions or volumes on the selected disk including the hidden etc.
    • convert gpt - convert to GPT

Other tool like GParted also good to try. Burn it into CD or USB, boot the disk tool, select the 3TB disk and see if GParted recognize the whole volume. If it does, just use the Grow/Shrink options to expand the whole 3TB.

Private, Feb 15, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    MiniTool Partition Wizard is another excellent free utility that installs right in Windows so no need to burn a disk to boot from:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

You can also use just plain old disk management built into Windows - but that has the limitation of only moving/expanding partitions to the right on a disk - it won't handle anything if you want to move/expand partitions to the left. Also, MiniTool will show you partitions/hidden spaces that Windows disk management won't.

NavyLCDR, Feb 15, 2016
  8. 3TB disk showing as 1TB

Many thanks to all of you....

This is very strange...

I've used diskpart from the command prompt and that tell me it a 1TB disk...

So I've tried Partition Manager - thanks for the recommendation NavyLCDR - and that also indicates it's a 1 TB disk.

Looking at some videos on Youtube they all show that when something like this happens that you can see the unallocated space - but need to do things to allocate it. I just see a 1TB disk with no additional unallocated space?

I even gone so far as checking that disk does say 3TB - it does, and I bought it directly from Amazon - so it should be legitimate.

Ahhhh - I just want my extra disk space!

9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

Are you trying to use this as a BOOT disk. If you are then you will need to change the BIOS to boot in into UEFI mode. If you have an old BIOS machine (no UEFI) then you'll have to add another Non GPT drive --say a 110 / 250 GB SSD for booting -- these are very cheap these days. (MBR HDD's have a Max partition size of 2TB I think).

If your BIOS allows boot into UEFI mode then it's simple - convert the HDD to GPT and then restore your data.

Otherwise you are going to be limited to around 2 TB on your HDD with a lot wasted.

The trouble with a lot of You Tube videos is that they just show you what to do when stuff works --I'm of the Old School --give me a decent Manual any day rather than Videos. Then I can read at my leisure and look at all sorts of scenarios of what to do when it DOESN'T work !!!!.

I really dread it when I want to get some info and it's all on You Tube --sometimes the old fashioned way still works best. !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 15, 2016
  10. Thanks jimbo - no, not trying to use this disk as a boot disk (have a hybrid drive for that). I thought it could be the 2TB limit - but I'm only seeing 1TB on the disk at the moment (sorry, the thread title is wrong *Redface )?

I'm sure I've used 2TB disks in it before without problems.

11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

start up windows.
    then do

CMD mode in admin mode

DISKPART

LIST DISK

SELECT DISK nn where nn is your 3 TB HDD.

CLEAN

CONVERT GPT

EXIT.

Now use control panel -->administrative tools - storage manager

You should see your HDD as a RAW HDD - create your partition

2TB HDD's are OK for MBR. 3TB and larger HDD's need GPT to use whole HDD.

Job done.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 15, 2016
  12. Thanks. Still no luck though *cry

3TB disk showing as 1TB [​IMG]

And when I look in Windows Disk Management - disk 3 is still showing as 931GB:

Any ideas please?

13. Word Man Win User

3TB disk showing as 1TB

Forgive me asking the obvious - Did you double check the drive itself and it's marked as a 130 model, not a 110 model?

Word Man, Feb 15, 2016
  14. Thanks!

I have now...

Yep, it's the 130.

Hoped it was going to be the 110 and I could just exchange it, but sadly not that simple *Sad

winchesterstoke, Feb 16, 2016
  15. Word Man Win User
    Actually, I meant the physical label on the physical hard drive. I'm kinda stumped - any chance it's mislabeled (by manufacturer or seller)? This would really p--- me off.*Mad

Word Man, Feb 16, 2016
Thema:

3TB disk showing as 1TB

1. 3TB disk showing as 1TB - Similar Threads - 3TB disk showing

2. 1TB SSD NVMe Drive showing 2 seperate Disks?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    1TB SSD NVMe Drive showing 2 seperate Disks?: So i swapped over to linux a few months ago but have recently swapped back over to windows today. Unfortunatly that caused a lot of problems with my computer. I think i had raid or something similar when swapping ver to linux so it was dissabled in the process. After swapping...
  3. 1TB SSD NVMe Drive showing 2 seperate Disks?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1TB SSD NVMe Drive showing 2 seperate Disks?: So i swapped over to linux a few months ago but have recently swapped back over to windows today. Unfortunatly that caused a lot of problems with my computer. I think i had raid or something similar when swapping ver to linux so it was dissabled in the process. After swapping...
  4. 1TB SSD NVMe Drive showing 2 seperate Disks?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. EXTERNAL 3 TB Toshiba disk not showing up as 3TB only 746 GB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EXTERNAL 3 TB Toshiba disk not showing up as 3TB only 746 GB: I'm having the following issue under Windows 11-Pro 64-bitThe TOSHIBA 3TB disk is connect using SATA via USB3 and only shows 746 GBI cannot get it to show the full capacity neither using AOMEI PArttion tool or any other toolDisk ### Status Size Free Dyn...
  6. 1TB External USB Hard Disk only shows 931GB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    1TB External USB Hard Disk only shows 931GB: i bought a 1TB USB External Hard Disk when i plugin to my system it only shows 931GB EDIT stupid me i google my own query and it shows the result 1TB External USB Hard Disk only shows 931GB - Google Search 166018
  7. 1TB External USB Hard Disk only shows 931GB

in Windows 10 Support
    1TB External USB Hard Disk only shows 931GB: i bought a 1TB USB External Hard Disk when i plugin to my system it only shows 931GB EDIT stupid me i google my own query and it shows the result 1TB External USB Hard Disk only shows 931GB - Google Search 166018
  8. Transferring 3TB

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Transferring 3TB: Hi, I use windows 10 and I have a folder about 3TB (important data), I need to copy it from my PC to my new Laptop (using LAN). I am wondering , data loss will occur while trying to copy the whole folder at once in one folder (my Laptop)? OR just transferring part after part...
  9. Command fails on 3Tb physical disk

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Command fails on 3Tb physical disk: I keep getting this error: Command [0x0000040002003000000000002400026000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000024000260] on physical disk 1 failed. Sense key=0x%4, ASC=0x%5, ASCQ=0x%6 when doing Macrim backups to a 3Tb disk. This is the second 3Tb disk the error...
  10. Installation on 3TB disk (Non Uefi)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation on 3TB disk (Non Uefi): Hi everyone! I was wondering if there is an easy way of installing W10 in larger disks (+2TB) on systems with no UEFI Support Right now my HDD is formatted with MBR, windows 10 is installed in it, and have ~700GB of unallocated space wich i cant use due to partition...