Windows 10: 4/18/16 Partially down

Discus and support 4/18/16 Partially down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Running newly installed Windows 10. System was partially down with Chrome and File Explorer not working. Could not access exterior drive from File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by needhelp1, Apr 18, 2016.

1. needhelp1 Win User

4/18/16 Partially down

Running newly installed Windows 10. System was partially down with Chrome and File Explorer not working. Could not access exterior drive from File Explorer. Ran Malwarebytes and Anti Virus. No problem. Could access Firefox and Internet Explorer. Saw one Error message *Windows can't connect to service* After 4 hours a dashed circle began spinning for 20 minutes. Then system back to normal. I have no idea what happened. Was this a problem with my Internet Service provider. Any input?

:)

needhelp1, Apr 18, 2016

2. Windows 10 Backup with File History

Troubleshooter no help.

I found that under AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration I have duplicate files:

Catalog1.edb 3/16 4:18 PM 9216 KB

Catalog1.jfm 3/16 4:18 PM 16 KB

Catalog2.edb 3/16 4:18 PM 9216 KB

Catalog2.jfm 3/16 4:18 PM 16 KB

Config1.xml 3/16 4:18 PM 4 KB

Config2.xml 3/16 4:18 PM 4 KB

On my network backup drive I find folders:

DESKTOP-14SVI2P

Configuration (empty)

Data (empty)

DESKTOP-14SVI2P

Configuration

Catalog1.edb 3/16 6:04 AM

Catalog2.edb 3/16 4:18 PM

Config1.xml 3/16 4:18 PM

Config2.xml 2/2 6:21 PM

Data (all backups are in this tree)

$OF

C

I think somehow I've got two configs running and interfering with each other. Any way to turn off File History, delete all the configuration, and start over?

needshelp62, Apr 18, 2016
  3. Window Defender Update

7/4/16,

Dell inspriron , window 10, Defender partially updates the error 0x80070643. Can I fix?

Old Dog Cowboy, Apr 18, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

4/18/16 Partially down

Hi needhelp1 and welcome to Tenforums.

If FF and IE were working and connecting to sites, then it wasn't your ISP. File Explorer wouldn't normally be affected by internet issues either. No idea what happened here. Have you had a look in Reliability History for clues? Are you using a firewall other than the in-built Windows one?

simrick, Apr 18, 2016
  5. needhelp1 Win User
    It seems from the history reliability look I shut down my System improperly. Was used to forcing shut downs with Win7 but evidently is a bad practice. My Windows tech knowledge is *there for the Grace of Windows go I*
    Thanks for the informative reply likely found the culprit. Me.

needhelp1, Apr 18, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    I love it! *chuckle Yeah, never force a shutdown unless you must. Cheers!

simrick, Apr 18, 2016
  7. Yes, forcing a shutdown is "bad practice", but it is also sometimes the only option. If a critical function in Windows is waiting on an event that will never happen, and if that critical function is required to perform a clean shutdown, then you have no choice.

I've had to do a forced shutdown of Win10 probably about once a week because of a hang situation. I'm hoping a clean reinstall of Windows will fix the problem, but until then I will have to do an occasional forced shutdown.

pokeefe0001, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

4/18/16 Partially down

1. 4/18/16 Partially down - Similar Threads - Partially down

2. Win Key not working partially working while the hardware works fine, how to solve?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win Key not working partially working while the hardware works fine, how to solve?: My win key is not working or partially working, more precisely.When I press Win key alone, the start menu doesn't show up; however, when I press Win + G, which is the shortcut for Xbox game bar, it works; when I press Win + L, which is the shortcut for Lock the screen, it...
  3. Win Key not working partially working while the hardware works fine, how to solve?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win Key not working partially working while the hardware works fine, how to solve?: My win key is not working or partially working, more precisely.When I press Win key alone, the start menu doesn't show up; however, when I press Win + G, which is the shortcut for Xbox game bar, it works; when I press Win + L, which is the shortcut for Lock the screen, it...
  4. Backed up and saw ‘Partially backed up’

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backed up and saw ‘Partially backed up’: I have no idea what is going on. See, I have another computer that I used to use, then I bought another one since the other one was getting old. I was going to give the old computer to my father, but he got rid of a bunch of folders and items while he was logged into my...
  5. Backed up and saw ‘Partially backed up’

Backed up and saw ‘Partially backed up’: I have no idea what is going on. See, I have another computer that I used to use, then I bought another one since the other one was getting old. I was going to give the old computer to my father, but he got rid of a bunch of folders and items while he was logged into my...
  6. Can I create a clean USB windows boot with my partially corrupted PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I create a clean USB windows boot with my partially corrupted PC: I had some issues updating my PC to a recent update for Windows 10. I believe the update was interrupted and led to some files becoming corrupted. While trying to diagnose this issue with resetting and troubleshooting I eventually did a reset without deleting personal files...
  7. Can I create a clean USB windows boot with my partially corrupted PC

Can I create a clean USB windows boot with my partially corrupted PC: I had some issues updating my PC to a recent update for Windows 10. I believe the update was interrupted and led to some files becoming corrupted. While trying to diagnose this issue with resetting and troubleshooting I eventually did a reset without deleting personal files...
  8. Partially opened/restored down screen is not holding its position until cursor reaches the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partially opened/restored down screen is not holding its position until cursor reaches the...: Hi.. when I opened a browser in full screen dell vostro, windows 10 home and then i opened another application like calculator. Before the mouse cursor reach calculator, the calculator is hiding behind/disappearing from top of the browser screen. can someone assist me with...
  9. Partially opened/restored down screen is not holding its position until cursor reaches the...

Partially opened/restored down screen is not holding its position until cursor reaches the...: Hi.. when I opened a browser in full screen dell vostro, windows 10 home and then i opened another application like calculator. Before the mouse cursor reach calculator, the calculator is hiding behind/disappearing from top of the browser screen. can someone assist me with...
  10. [Partial-SOLVED]Asus Laptop goes to sleep and then shuts down after 5 minutes of lid closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    [Partial-SOLVED]Asus Laptop goes to sleep and then shuts down after 5 minutes of lid closed: [partially-SOLVED]: Based on the log, the hotkey process was causing the sleep action. So basically end process of Hcontrol.exe whenever you don't want it to auto-sleep or uninstall ATK package for a permanent effect. Still not sure why it started after 2 years....