Windows 10: 4/18/16 Partially down

Discus and support 4/18/16 Partially down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Running newly installed Windows 10. System was partially down with Chrome and File Explorer not working. Could not access exterior drive from File... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by needhelp1, Apr 18, 2016.

1. needhelp1 Win User

4/18/16 Partially down

Running newly installed Windows 10. System was partially down with Chrome and File Explorer not working. Could not access exterior drive from File Explorer. Ran Malwarebytes and Anti Virus. No problem. Could access Firefox and Internet Explorer. Saw one Error message *Windows can't connect to service* After 4 hours a dashed circle began spinning for 20 minutes. Then system back to normal. I have no idea what happened. Was this a problem with my Internet Service provider. Any input?

:)

needhelp1, Apr 18, 2016

2. Windows 10 Backup with File History

Troubleshooter no help.

I found that under AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration I have duplicate files:

Catalog1.edb 3/16 4:18 PM 9216 KB

Catalog1.jfm 3/16 4:18 PM 16 KB

Catalog2.edb 3/16 4:18 PM 9216 KB

Catalog2.jfm 3/16 4:18 PM 16 KB

Config1.xml 3/16 4:18 PM 4 KB

Config2.xml 3/16 4:18 PM 4 KB

On my network backup drive I find folders:

DESKTOP-14SVI2P

Configuration (empty)

Data (empty)

DESKTOP-14SVI2P

Configuration

Catalog1.edb 3/16 6:04 AM

Catalog2.edb 3/16 4:18 PM

Config1.xml 3/16 4:18 PM

Config2.xml 2/2 6:21 PM

Data (all backups are in this tree)

$OF

C

I think somehow I've got two configs running and interfering with each other. Any way to turn off File History, delete all the configuration, and start over?

needshelp62, Apr 18, 2016
  3. Window Defender Update

7/4/16,

Dell inspriron , window 10, Defender partially updates the error 0x80070643. Can I fix?

Old Dog Cowboy, Apr 18, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

4/18/16 Partially down

Hi needhelp1 and welcome to Tenforums.

If FF and IE were working and connecting to sites, then it wasn't your ISP. File Explorer wouldn't normally be affected by internet issues either. No idea what happened here. Have you had a look in Reliability History for clues? Are you using a firewall other than the in-built Windows one?

simrick, Apr 18, 2016
  5. needhelp1 Win User
    It seems from the history reliability look I shut down my System improperly. Was used to forcing shut downs with Win7 but evidently is a bad practice. My Windows tech knowledge is *there for the Grace of Windows go I*
    Thanks for the informative reply likely found the culprit. Me.

needhelp1, Apr 18, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    I love it! *chuckle Yeah, never force a shutdown unless you must. Cheers!

simrick, Apr 18, 2016
  7. Yes, forcing a shutdown is "bad practice", but it is also sometimes the only option. If a critical function in Windows is waiting on an event that will never happen, and if that critical function is required to perform a clean shutdown, then you have no choice.

I've had to do a forced shutdown of Win10 probably about once a week because of a hang situation. I'm hoping a clean reinstall of Windows will fix the problem, but until then I will have to do an occasional forced shutdown.

pokeefe0001, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

4/18/16 Partially down

1. 4/18/16 Partially down - Similar Threads - Partially down

2. Windows 10 Partial Freeze

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Partial Freeze: I recently built a computer from and installed a new copy of Windows 10 on it. Everything was working fine until one day I started downloading software from the components company e.g. MSI afterburner & Corsair iCUE. Shortly after that, while I was in a Fullscreen...
  3. Pass partial parameter in bat file

in Windows 10 Support
    Pass partial parameter in bat file: I have about 200 files examples: 20200101 FILE10.TXT 20200102 FILE10.TXT 20200103 FILE10.TXT 20200104 FILE10.TXT I need a way to accept only the first 8 positions in a bat file and copy the whole file to another directory. If enter 20200101 and it will pass the file...
  4. Windows 10 partially reinstalls itself and then stops after resetting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 partially reinstalls itself and then stops after resetting: I have a hp pavalon laptop that i reset because it was running slow, and I wanted to purge my files because of limited storage. Reseting was the last thing I hadn’t tried. So I reset it and it was doing its thing until it got to the point were windows 10 re-installed itself....
  5. Trojan:Win32/Persistence!rfn partially removed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Trojan:Win32/Persistence!rfn partially removed: Hi, I think I got a trojan while downloading a VST on a shady website. I did a full scan using Microsoft Safety Scanner and I believe it said there were only 2 infected files. In the final results it says Trojan:Win32/Persistence!rfn, and the scan results are partially...
  6. partial product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    partial product key: installed windows 10 home on laptop that had windows 7. funny thing partial product key shown in license is not in product key https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/partial-product-key/9e5f40d5-bc73-45b6-b3a8-b8436febd729"
  7. Desktop partially displays lock screen wallpaper

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop partially displays lock screen wallpaper: Laptop is docked, connected to two monitors. I put it to sleep. I unplug it from the dock and put it in my backpack in preparation for travel the next day. The next time I use it I am not docked. I log in and now the desktop has around the right 1/3 of the screen covered by...
  8. I have 2 windows 10 HP Laptops that have lost partial keyboard functions after windows did...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I have 2 windows 10 HP Laptops that have lost partial keyboard functions after windows did...: I have 2 HP Laptops that have lost partial keyboard functions after windows did updates on 3/3/2020, it seems to only be on the login screen. the keyboard functions fine for hitting ctrl alt del, but when the login comes up you can not type any letters but it will let you...
  9. My windows mail app is partially in Chinese

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My windows mail app is partially in Chinese: Some of the mail I recieve is partially in Chinese, usually where one of the Norwegian special characters æ, ø, å are supposed to be, but then it also changes some of the letters before or after the special characters. Norwegian is my main language in windows with English as...
  10. Wi Fi Popup Window only opens partially

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wi Fi Popup Window only opens partially: Good day, My Wi Fi popup window opens up only partially from time to time - displaying only two small options - none of the link I need. I need to restart every time this happens to get it restored. It is time consuming and frustrating. Please advise?...