Windows 10: 4-year-old Acer laptop struggling with only 28 GB on C: Drive

Discus and support 4-year-old Acer laptop struggling with only 28 GB on C: Drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My mum's little Acer computer is starting to run into problems due to lack of storage space. The C: Drive has only 28 GB. Also, it keeps trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Harriet I Brown, Mar 27, 2021.

1. 4-year-old Acer laptop struggling with only 28 GB on C: Drive

My mum's little Acer computer is starting to run into problems due to lack of storage space. The C: Drive has only 28 GB. Also, it keeps trying to download a 13 GB new version of Windows 10. Last time I checked, there was only 1.12 GB free on C: Drive. I have uninstalled so many unneeded applications, and for a while that helped, but eventually we'd get the same notifications about lack of storage space.

Recycle Bin is emptied regularly.

I would have downloaded this new version of Windows 10 using an external drive, except that when I connected one the computer wouldn't recognize it in any way, even though the drive had recognized the computer. The download can be installed on the SD Card D: Drive but nonetheless requires 1.95 GB on C: Drive.

This little Acer computer is used by two members of my family. When we first bought the computer, it was never intended to be used so heavily.

Any ideas?? Thank you.

PS No accounts are associated with this computer, as the mail client refused to work with iCloud.

:)

Harriet I Brown, Mar 27, 2021

2. Suddenly 28 GB of space disappeared from C:

Hi, In the morning I opened my laptop and noticed that there is an around of 28 GB of space left in C:. I was running my dev application and for about after half an hour I got the "Manage space.." error.. I checked in the Windows Explorer and to my suprise
    C: lost all its space. It was showing 0 GB. I have tried many resolutions that i found on web -

• Using CCleaner
    • Clearing temp files
    • Disk Cleanup
    • TreeSize app to view the size of files
    I don't have hibernate option enabled and also System Resotre Point is disabled.

Please help.

ArpanMehetre, Mar 27, 2021
  3. AlanHo Win User
    Acer S5-371 Super Thin Laptop Will Not Install Recent Win 10 Updates.

My Acer S5-371 Super Thin laptop has not been able to install Win 10 updates since 21/05/2018. The last one being Version 1709 KB413466.

The 240 GB SSD is divided into two partitions
    C: 100 GB For the OS and software (with 20 GB unused space)
    D: 19 GB For all data (with 199 GB unused space)

4-year-old Acer laptop struggling with only 28 GB on C: Drive [​IMG]

You can see that it downloads the updates OK but the install fails, and upon the next laptop boot-up in shows a message that the laptop is waiting for a restart to install updates. If I do this, the cycle repeats. If I ignore it, I can use the computer normally but there is a regular notification appearing above the system tray that there are updates awaiting installation.

I thought that the last update to be installed may be the culprit so I restored my C: Drive from an Acronis Back-up made on May 1st which is before this update. Win 10 downloaded them all again and only installed the one dated 21/05/2018. Hence this plan didn't work.

I then found via Google that some SSD's in thin laptops are a problem - so contacted Acer UK Support who confirmed that my laptop model had been tested and will install all the latest updates including Version 1803. They suggested I make more space on the C drive or plug a USB hard drive into the laptop to give Updates more space for temporary files. This didn't help.

The laptop warranty expired 4 months ago and Acer are now suggesting I should send it to them for repair at my cost. I cannot conceive that it is a hardware problem and am loath to do this without further advice.

I am now considering restoring the laptop to factory settings and trying to update Win 10 again. This means I will need to reinstall all my software and data. Before I take this step I would welcome other ideas.

AlanHo, Mar 27, 2021
  4. rboppy Win User

4-year-old Acer laptop struggling with only 28 GB on C: Drive

What's eating up my \C: drive?

That reduced System Volume Information to 662 KB, left $GetCurrent at 3.8 GB which is called media when clicking the little arrow. Storage sense or Disk cleanup gave no reference to $GetCurrent, and the [2 files] are pagefile.sys and swapfile.sys.

- - - Updated - - -

I will thank everyone and mark this thread as solved, I now have over 27 GB of free space on my C: drive, it must just slowly get down to size where Windows warned me with a red "flag" when viewing This PC.

rboppy, Mar 27, 2021
Thema:

4-year-old Acer laptop struggling with only 28 GB on C: Drive

1. 4-year-old Acer laptop struggling with only 28 GB on C: Drive - Similar Threads - old Acer laptop

2. i am sachin and i have 15 years of old laptop acer aspire .

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i am sachin and i have 15 years of old laptop acer aspire .: I am Sachin And I Have 15 Years Of Old Laptop Acer Aspire ,Which I Upgrade In Windows 10 , 240 GB SSD , 6GB RAM DDR3 And My Processor Is Intel i3 370M 2.40GHZ. Can My Laptop Run Very Smoothly Please Give Solid Reason....
  3. i am sachin and i have 15 years of old laptop acer aspire .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i am sachin and i have 15 years of old laptop acer aspire .: I am Sachin And I Have 15 Years Of Old Laptop Acer Aspire Which I Upgrade In Windows 10 , 240 GB SSD , 6GB RAM DDR3 And My Processor Is Intel i3 370M 2.40GHZ. Can My Laptop Run Very Smoothly Please Give Solid Reason....
  4. i am sachin and i have 15 years of old laptop acer aspire .

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    i am sachin and i have 15 years of old laptop acer aspire .: I am Sachin And I Have 15 Years Of Old Laptop Acer Aspire Which I Upgrade In Windows 10 , 240 GB SSD , 6GB RAM DDR3 And My Processor Is Intel i3 370M 2.40GHZ. Can My Laptop Run Very Smoothly Please Give Solid Reason....
  5. Only 4 of 8 gb ram available

in Windows 10 Support
    Only 4 of 8 gb ram available: Thanks for reading this post. I have a Dell Inspirion 5770 laptop. Screenshots of some pertinent specs attached. My task command prompt >systeminfo shows that I have 8,055 mb total physical memory installed but only 3,881 mb available physical memory. I have seached the web...
  6. 4 year old laptop suddenly showing windows 10 is not activated

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    4 year old laptop suddenly showing windows 10 is not activated: Have had a Dell laptop for 4 years, running Windows 10 and suddenly windows is showing as "not activated" and I cannot use Office. The activation troubleshooter showed this error message: "We found a Windows 10 Home digital license for this device running Windows 10 Home....
  7. My C drive went from over 400 gb to only 238 gb

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My C drive went from over 400 gb to only 238 gb: I reset my PC and in the process I used my old laptop to get my stuff over For some reason the C drive is now the same as my old laptop I can't locate the missing space I tried in partitions Also I tried cmd Diskpart List disk The missing space does not show up submitted...
  8. How to reset an old, 4 year old password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to reset an old, 4 year old password: I want to get my files off an old Hard Drive from an XPS PC 8830 I think. But, I have zero idea what the password is. I tried to reset password from the Command Prompt from a new Window 10 USB installer, to access the Command Prompt. But, it won't work because x:sources...
  9. Computer 28 gb of ram usage.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer 28 gb of ram usage.: This happen when I installed windows 10. I never had in windows 8.1 ram usage of 28. Now with windows 10 after booting up computer I always have problems with RAM. In windows 8.1 my computer maximum used 16gb of ram when I was playing 2 games. In windows 10 - after boot,...
  10. 12 GB Installed only 4 GB usable?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    12 GB Installed only 4 GB usable?: Just installed my new RAM and took a look at system to see that I only have 4 GB usable out of the 12 installed. I've done everything I thought of and nothing has worked. Does anyone know why this could be? CPU-Z Report CPU-Z TXT Report...