Windows 10: 4 year old laptop suddenly showing windows 10 is not activated

Discus and support 4 year old laptop suddenly showing windows 10 is not activated in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Have had a Dell laptop for 4 years, running Windows 10 and suddenly windows is showing as "not activated" and I cannot use Office. The activation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by pNg5, Nov 21, 2020.

1. pNg5 Win User

4 year old laptop suddenly showing windows 10 is not activated

Have had a Dell laptop for 4 years, running Windows 10 and suddenly windows is showing as "not activated" and I cannot use Office.

The activation troubleshooter showed this error message:

"We found a Windows 10 Home digital license for this device running Windows 10 Home. To activate using this digital license, select upgrade your edition of Windows".

I called microsoft support and was told not to click on "upgrade" since that would lead me to purchase windows 10 Pro. Instead, click "change product key" and re-enter the windows product key.

When I did that I got the error message:

"Unable to activate Windows. Something interrupted our troubleshooting ........... try again. 0x80070002"

Have spent hours on the phone with microsoft support reinstalling different versions of windows 10. Cannot get it reactivated.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to fix this problem?

:)

2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows Activation on my old laptop

Hi deo.deo.1171

If I understand your question, you have an SSD with Windows 10 installed with a licence from that new laptop, which you have now put into an old laptop which has Windows 7 installed previously, is that correct?

If so, the free upgrade period to go from Windows 7 to Windows 10 elapsed 4 years ago, and most likely that will not self-activate on that old laptop

What you can try is, if there is a Windows 7 sticker on that old laptop, then try entering the product key from that sticker to activate Windows 10, that may work, a lot of users are able to do this . .

DaveM121, Nov 21, 2020
  3. eddward Win User
    Insider laptop suddenly not activated

hello all,
    today I suddenly noticed that my laptop is no longer activated... don't know what happened.
    I found out that was using local account, but then I immediately switched back to microsoft account and still can not activate windows because I do not have valid digital license or valid product key.
    If I click on solving problems then it is saying that product key can not be used with this version of Windows since they found Windows 10 Home digital license for this device.
    Checking https://account.microsoft.com and my laptop is there listed with Windows 10 Professional OS as it always was.
    Why and what happened and how to solve it ?
    I do not have product key. The key is generic ending with 3V66T.

eddward, Nov 21, 2020
  4. Rubi Win User

Using An Old Laptop For Backup

Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to re-purpose an old laptop as an external backup medium.

Here is the current situation:

1. We have 4 Windows 10 laptops at home

2. I have an old (about 8 years) Windows 7 laptop

What are the options to use the old laptop for backup?

Thanks!

Thema:

1. 4 year old laptop suddenly showing windows 10 is not activated - Similar Threads - old laptop suddenly

2. Suddenly it showing to activate windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Suddenly it showing to activate windows.: Suddenly it showing to activate windows , when I go to settings and try to open activation settings it freezes the settings window. And I cant update windows also, showing one of my update service is not working properly. And when I try to open the windows security , It Opens...
  3. Suddenly it showing to activate windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Suddenly it showing to activate windows.: Suddenly it showing to activate windows , when I go to settings and try to open activation settings it freezes the settings window. And I cant update windows also, showing one of my update service is not working properly. And when I try to open the windows security , It Opens...
  4. HELP! I can't activate Windows 10 on my laptop - I've had this laptop for 4 years and this...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    HELP! I can't activate Windows 10 on my laptop - I've had this laptop for 4 years and this...: I can't activate Windows 10 on my laptop because I don't have a product key. When I go to Settings>Update and Security>Activation, this the message that appears on the page: 'We can't activate Windows on this device as we can't connect to your organization's activation...
  5. Windows 10 suddenly not activated after years of being activated

Windows 10 suddenly not activated after years of being activated: Last night, my Windows 10 20H2 is suddenly not activated, giving an error code of 0x8007007B. I've had this copy of windows since Windows 8 when was upgraded for free to Windows 10. I bought the copy of Windows 8 so long ago I didn't remember the product key. Is there a way...
  6. Year-old laptop suddenly slow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Year-old laptop suddenly slow: I have an Asus TUF fx505 gaming laptop with Windows 10. It's run games like Monster Hunter and Rainbow Six Siege fine since I got it a year ago, until last Thursday. I don't know how much of this is relevant, but I'll give you the full story anyways: I downloaded Rocket...
  7. windows got activation problem after 4 years

windows got activation problem after 4 years: Hello there, I have my laptop about 4 years ago with activated version of windows from my supplier and never had the annoying watermark message that says "activate windows" now this message has showed up and when I go to setting>>update and security>>activation. that's...
  8. My laptop suddenly shows to activate the windows

My laptop suddenly shows to activate the windows: I'm currently using "Windows 10 Home" and I have used my laptop since 2017. There's no such kind of license problem before. But, last 2 days ago, I got this error and my laptop is constantly showing the notification to activate the windows. As a consequence, I can't use...
  9. How to reset an old, 4 year old password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to reset an old, 4 year old password: I want to get my files off an old Hard Drive from an XPS PC 8830 I think. But, I have zero idea what the password is. I tried to reset password from the Command Prompt from a new Window 10 USB installer, to access the Command Prompt. But, it won't work because x:sources...
  10. This is a 3 year old laptop running on Windows 10. This sudden error has never happened...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This is a 3 year old laptop running on Windows 10. This sudden error has never happened...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/hillaryhc [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ebvy8o/this_is_a_3_year_old_laptop_running_on_windows_10/