Windows 10: 400GB Seagate HD failure and how to retain free Win 10

Discus and support 400GB Seagate HD failure and how to retain free Win 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After nearly a year of squeeling the HD finally gave up in most respects. No surprise. It boots, but won't recognize a mouse correctly or most keyboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by roving, Jul 8, 2016.

1. roving Win User

400GB Seagate HD failure and how to retain free Win 10

After nearly a year of squeeling the HD finally gave up in most respects. No surprise. It boots, but won't recognize a mouse correctly or most keyboard actions, so I can't type or make selections of icons, etc. so am stuck as far as fixing as concerned. Using the HP startup page I have been able to get to the Windows 10 restore function three times, and all fail eventually. HP also returns a report of HD problems, but solutions will not complete. It is 8 years old so I need to replace the HD or the desktop, which I am willing to do. My concern is my installed Win 10 and how can I be certain to be able to do the upcoming Win 10 upgrade due Aug. 2. How to I get my current Win 10 installed on my new drive and retain my ability to get the free upgrade? I have the Win 10 Pro ISO that I burned when upgrading from Win 7. I do have a fairly recent Image of the drive on my Transcend external drive. Suggestions appreciated.

:)

roving, Jul 8, 2016
  2. legoman1 Win User

Hard Drive Fail after Win 10 upgrade

After upgrading to Win 10 through the free option, my hard drive failed. From what I read on this forum, I can obtain a new ISO copy to re-install on my new HD. The problem though is that my backup is on a Seagate Free Agent Drive that is not compatible
    with Win 10. My problem is how do I recover my data on the Free Agent. Seagate does not have a driver or updated software to work with Win 10. My computer had Vista on it which was upgrade to Win 7 Home via a purchased copy of an upgrade, From there I upgraded
    to Win 10 via the free download. How should I proceed: re-install Win 10 and go from there or reinstall Vista then upgrade it to Win 7 and then recover data from Free Agent and then upgrade to Win 10? A dilemma for sure?? Any suggestions would be GREATLY
    appreciated!

Thanks,

legoman1, Jul 8, 2016
  3. BB2016 Win User
    Re downloading/installing Windows 10 on a new HD

I had a major SSD HD failures and want to re-install windows 10 on the second HD. I originally received a free Win 10 because i upgraded from XP to Win 7. Do I have to re-install XP and upgrade again to re-install Win 10.

Thank you

BB2016, Jul 8, 2016
  4. 400GB Seagate HD failure and how to retain free Win 10

If you have already done the free upgrade your PC has a digital entitlement stored on the Microsoft activation server. Replace the hard drive and do a clean install of 10 Pro. When asked for a key click skip. It should activate with the digital entitlement. If it doesn't, do a phone activation and just tell them you had to replace the hard drive.

alphanumeric, Jul 8, 2016
  5. roving Win User
    Many thanks for that info! I'll order a replacement drive today.

roving, Jul 8, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    or do the image restore from the external HDD (after you install the new HDD/SSD). That's why we do backups!

NavyLCDR, Jul 9, 2016
  7. roving Win User
    Thanks for that as well. Just don't want to overlook an option as Murphy's Law is very active in my life.

roving, Jul 9, 2016
  8. Steve C Win User

If W10 on your hard drive still functioning, you can use Macrium Reflect to image your system and store the backup on a second drive. Use the option "Create an image of the partitions required to backup/restore Windows". Ensure you check the verify box and create a Macrium rescue USB disk. Then install your new disk and restore the backup image from the rescue disc. See my guide here for more details http://www.eightforums.com/installat...s-hdd-ssd.html Else, you might prefer to do a clean install as someone suggested.

I swapped the hard disk for a SSD in my laptop a few months ago and W10 had already activated when I checked it.

Steve C, Jul 9, 2016
  9. roving Win User
    Thanks Steve. I have a Macrium image to use. Unfortunately the bootup never gives me a fully functional keyboard or mouse so I have no way to do additional images, etc. On the backup external drive I have a .mrimg and a .xml file to use for restoring. I haven't used such before, but seem to remember that the .xml file is 'clickable'. Is that correct? Swapping drives is new to me also so once I install and hookup the new drive into my desktop, what should I expect to see when I first turn it on? I'll have the external backup drive plugged into a USB port already. (I also have a Macrium bootable "rescue"media dvd as well as my first Win10 ISO). Your guidance at this point is appreciated. I tried the rescue disk and my disk drives don't recognize anything so are probably not fully installed, like the keyboard and the mouse.

roving, Jul 9, 2016
  10. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Jul 9, 2016
  11. roving Win User
    Just what I needed to hear. Many thanks.

roving, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 400GB Seagate HD failure and how to retain free Win 10 - Similar Threads - 400GB Seagate failure

2. Retaining Win 10 Licence across a format.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Retaining Win 10 Licence across a format.: Hi,My daughters laptop disk has crashed and is now seen as a "Raw" disk.I have removed it and connected it my laptop and managed to copy off most data.As I understand it, the only way to fix this issue is with a reformat. However after that, I don't have any installation...
  3. Possible HD failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Possible HD failure: I installed a new 1 GB SSD in an HP laptop ;ess than three months ago. A couple of times recently Windows 11 has crashed with a BSOD, and when I restarted the laptop would not boot up, giving me a boot device not found error message, and refused to boot. Several attempts...
  4. Retaining Microsoft HD Audio

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Retaining Microsoft HD Audio: How can I get Microsoft High Definition Audio Device back because I mistakenly changed the audio settings and it is no longer showing the option in audio devices settings?...
  5. HD failure after installing Win 10

HD failure after installing Win 10: I just installed Win 10 Home on a PC that had been running Win 8.1. I did not upgrade, I did a complete install. The install & activation went fine , but shortly afterwards the HD has apparently failed, as now on startup all it will do is check the disk for a long time and...
  6. Seagate HD (USB) not migrated

Seagate HD (USB) not migrated: My OS is Windows 10 version 1903 OS build 18362.418. I have just noticed that an old Seagate HD ST312002 2A which I have in an external USB enclosure has just stopped working. In device manager I am told: "device not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match". I fear...
  7. W10 HD Failure - Need A Free File Recovery Program

W10 HD Failure - Need A Free File Recovery Program: Hello, Folks: My Dell Inspiron 5537 Laptop HD has failed. I've run all the applicable systems tests to no avail. I'm looking for a W10 Data Recovery Application (totally free, not just 2gb of download capability before having to purchase) which is Bootable and which I...
  8. UNMOUNTABLE Ex HD - Seagate

UNMOUNTABLE Ex HD - Seagate: I am freaking out - I cannot send off and it cost me $1000+ I have my seagate 4 TB Expansion drive SRD00F2 --there is no clicking, sounds like it it running fine - I can see the partitions but it doesn't allocate a Drive # or letter - How do I recover this data without...
  9. Seagate Dashboard for GoFlex on Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seagate Dashboard for GoFlex on Win 10: This used to work until the latest update to Win 10 in August 2018. I re-installed as Admin, then tried to change Compatibility Win XP 3. It doesn't work anymore with Compatibility Win 7 or 8. Running as Admin doesn't work either. It just stops when it tries to locate...
  10. Seagate Free Agent

Seagate Free Agent: I have a Seagate Free Agent 500gb, can it be used as a Flash Drive to burn the ISO to? the agent has been wiped clean of every thing. 97761