Windows 10: 4G WiFi connection drops to 512Kbps after waking form power save.

Discus and support 4G WiFi connection drops to 512Kbps after waking form power save. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I've been fighting with my ISP for months over this, but it just might turn out that they may be telling the truth for once.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sjanzeir, Aug 31, 2016.

1. sjanzeir Win User

4G WiFi connection drops to 512Kbps after waking form power save.

Hello everyone,

I've been fighting with my ISP for months over this, but it just might turn out that they may be telling the truth for once.

Basically, I have an unlimited mobile 4G plan with three SIMs, each of which is in a 4G Android phone, the hotspots of which I use alternately as and when needed.

In our household are two desktops and three laptops, all running Windows 10 Pro, and one laptop running Lubuntu.

In about November 2015, I started noticing that my connectivity speeds would drop from multiple gigabits per second to an average maximum of about 512kbps after a certain amount of data (usually two gigabytes downloaded and uploaded) has been consumed within the respective 24 hours; speed would go back up to 4G levels the moment the clock hits 12:00 AM every night. The throttling affects all machines and all SIMs.

I took on my ISP with this, and every agent I ever talked to said that they don't have a fair usage policy in place for subscribers of unlimited plan - in fact, that one of their marketing points; they even say so on their website. They firmly denied the implementation of a fair usage policy even after I showed them screenshots of the moment the connection speed dropped.

I even tried running YouTube continuously on my phones for a stretch of time to see what happens, with YouTube's autoplay feature turned on, and, indeed, I noticed that after a while of running videos at 1080p, I could barely run any videos at a resolution higher than 144p.

Then, today, as I was syncing my wife's OneDrive folder on her new account on one of the desktops, I noticed that the speed actually dropped only after I moved the mouse/pressed a key on the keyboard to wake the machine up from power-save mode (i.e. turn on the screen.) So I started having doubts as to where the problem actually lies - is it a setting on any or all of my PCs that I had overlooked somehow?

Any thoughts? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

:)

sjanzeir, Aug 31, 2016

2. Typo issue in Wi-Fi setting screen.

Actually using either the cellular data(2G/3G/4G) or setting WiFi on doesn't make your phone hackable.

If you keep your WiFi on, the phone searches and connects to available known or open WiFi connection, this obviously saves your cellular data.

WiFi connection uses less power and costs less/free than 3G/4G and keeping WiFi on without any active WiFi connection doesn't consume battery instead it connects using cellular data.

Hope this helps.

Srikanthsd, Aug 31, 2016
  3. N8 battery life dropped by 2/3 overnight

Same problem here. When I go to bed I have 100% battery time and when I wake up it has dropped to 10% overnight. Can't figure out the problem. No apps running, power save mode is on and Wifi scan is off.

Jahel---01, Aug 31, 2016
  4. batlhilz Win User

you should check this out https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/928152 - hopefully it gives you more ideas, if not a direct answer

also, you could check off the button "allow windows to turn off this device to save power" via device management to see if it helps you at all.

batlhilz, Aug 31, 2016
  5. sjanzeir Win User
    Yup. Already went through all that. Nothing in there that helps.

sjanzeir, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 4G WiFi connection drops to 512Kbps after waking form power save. - Similar Threads - WiFi connection drops

2. wifi drops connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wifi drops connection: The issue occurs every now and then. Wifi drops connection when my PC is idle. So I have to click the wifi button and press disconnect and then press reconnect. The issue is really annoying...
  3. Wifi connection drops on reboot

Wifi connection drops on reboot: When I reboot my Win 10 laptop the wifi connection drops so I have to manually reconnect. How can I maintain the wifi connection when I reboot? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wifi-connection-drops-on-reboot/0b25972c-da15-411a-929b-044b6a0d9ace
  4. Combine 4G with WiFi?

Combine 4G with WiFi?: is it possible? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/combine-4g-with-wifi/38d63076-9ca7-45ca-8a47-0b71addd081f
  5. WiFi connection drop issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WiFi connection drop issue: I am using a USB WiFi adapter to connect my PC to the internet. Whenever I am downloading a heavy file using peer-to-peer sharing, my PC internet connection drops. However, it is not a router/ISP issue as I can still connect to the internet using other devices. If I am...
  6. WiFi connection drop

WiFi connection drop: Every time I connect to wifi on my laptop with Windows 10, it freezes and fails. The laptop works well when it is disconnected, but as soon as I connect it to the internet it freezes. Please help, I can not do any work....
  7. WiFi connection dropped after sleep mode

WiFi connection dropped after sleep mode: Hello, We have one PC in our office that has the very irritating habit of dropping its WiFi connection every time it is woken up out of sleep mode. So each time on wake up we have to click the "Disconnect" button on our Wifi connection and then the "Connect" button. It's...
  8. Laptop WiFi connection drops when on battery power

Laptop WiFi connection drops when on battery power: After installing Windows 10 update KB4467702 a few months ago I noticed my laptop's WiFi connection kept dropping: I'd get the "No Internet Connection" message eventhough other devices on the same network were fine. After trying countless fixes, I discovered this Microsoft...
  9. Dropping WiFi connections

Dropping WiFi connections: Laptop, clean Windows install (1809 17763.107). Driver for Intel Wireless LAN Driver 20.80.0.0u installed EventID 1014 10400 5005 5002 5000 Q: Does anybody have a suggestion/idea ? Note: no other applications have been installed yet. [img] - 1014 Name resolution for...
  10. 4G Pocket Wifi or 4G Router

4G Pocket Wifi or 4G Router: I am using Windows 10 and wanted to know if there is a significant difference if I use one of the two. 4G Pocket Wifi 4G Router Considering the same signal Strenght in my area same brand on the devices above. from Huwawei for the Router I am not going to use an...