Windows 10: 4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution

Discus and support 4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I have a 4K 2160 x 3840 monitor for my Windows 10 PC.If i use windows display scaling set at 100%, all the icons are tiny, but when i do a screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by madmandare, May 26, 2021.

1. 4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution

Hi, I have a 4K 2160 x 3840 monitor for my Windows 10 PC.If i use windows display scaling set at 100%, all the icons are tiny, but when i do a screen resolution test using various websites, the results come back as 2160 x 3840.I used websites such as:https://bestfirms.com/what-is-my-screen-resolution/However, if i change my windows

:)

madmandare, May 26, 2021
  2. TH90 Win User

4k Resolution scaling but then watching a 4k video

Hi,

I am building a PC with windows 10. I have yet to buy my monitor.

I'm considering buying a 4k/UHD monitor but given the issues you can have with scaling (i.e. when using program's that aren't set up to cope with the scaling and therefore show up blurred) I am wondering if it is worth it at this point in the 4k/windows
    infancy? Its worth pointing out that I am thinking of buying a monitor no bigger than 24" so not using scaling won't be very good as the task bar will be tiny.

Also, (my main question) when you use the scaling its effectively at Full HD resolution, correct me if I'm wrong, so what happens when scaling is on and I want to watch a 4k video. Will it be shown in 1080p or 4k? How does it work? What is the scaling actually
    doing.

Thanks in advance.

3. 4k Resolution scaling but then watching a 4k video

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

First, let’s look at an example of why display scaling is needed in most cases when using a high resolution display with a Windows 10 PC. In our example, we’re using a 27-inch 4K monitor with a native resolution of 3840×2160. With 100 percent scaling — that
    is, a 1:1 pixel ratio — the Windows desktop and user interface appears tiny, and is likely too small for most users.

To fix this problem without giving up on our 4K monitor, we can adjust Windows 10 display scaling options in Settings. With your high resolution display connected to your PC, head to Settings > System > Display.

Here, you’ll see a slider labeled Change the size of text, apps, and other items. With compatible hardware, Windows 10 will attempt to automatically set this value to an appropriate percentage when connected to a high resolution
    display. However, you can manually adjust it by clicking and dragging the slider. Moving the slider to the left reduces the display scaling percentage, which will make things appear relatively smaller, while moving it to the right increases the display scaling
    percentage, making things look relatively larger.

In our example, we’ll move the slider to a value of 150 percent, which will give us a user interface with the same relative appearance as 2560×1440, which is a common and certainly workable resolution on a 27-inch display. To see how the math works out here,
    notice how 150 percent of 2560×1440 is exactly 3840×2160, our 4K monitor’s native resolution (2560*1.5 = 3840; 1440*1.5 = 2160).

If this scaled image is still too small, we can raise the Windows 10 display scaling percentage even higher. For example, a display scaling value of 200 percent would produce an image that is proportionate to 1080p resolution, or 1920×1080 (again, just check
    the math to see that 1920*2 = 3840 and 1080*2 = 2160).

The benefit of this configuration is that you end up with a user interface that is the same perceived size as the one you’re accustomed to, except that it’s noticeably sharper because each UI element is being drawn with four times as many pixels as a standard
    resolution display.

Also note that Windows 10 display scaling isn’t limited to those with high resolution monitors. While the feature is certainly most useful on these large or pixel-dense displays, a user with even a standard resolution monitor can adjust display scaling,
    too, although raising the scaling percentage too much may make the Windows user interface comically large and unwieldy.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, May 26, 2021
  4. TH90 Win User

4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution

4k Resolution scaling but then watching a 4k video

Hi Anup,

Thank you for your response.

So therefore is my previous point on certain program's displaying as blurry when scaling is used wrong? I.e. as they'll be effectively displayed similarly to full HD resolution?

Also, if I used scaling at 200% and I wanted to watch a 4K video would it be displayed at full HD (due to the scaling) or 4K resolution.

Thanks again.

Thema:

4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution

1. 4k Monitor Windows Scaling Resolution - Similar Threads - Monitor Scaling Resolution

2. 1080p scaling issues on 4K monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    1080p scaling issues on 4K monitor: I have a laptop which uses a 4K screen. The problem is that I want to run intensive programs however I can only run them in lower resolutions such as 1080p as in 4K they are laggy and unusable. The problem is that if I set my computer resolution to 1080p, the ui, especially...
  3. Windows Scaling - Does this Defeat the Purpose of a 4K Monitor?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows Scaling - Does this Defeat the Purpose of a 4K Monitor?: Hi, I recently upgraded my monitor to 4K and noticed that Windows Scaling shows the value of 150% as Recommended. Leaving it at 100% is super crisp, clean, but small - the upgraded resolution is obvious. But I find that 150% almost looks like a 1080p resolution... and am...
  4. How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor: I have a new 15.6" laptop and 27" external monitor. Both the laptop display and external monitor are 4k. So far the only app that does not scale properly is Remote Desktop. When I RD to another Win 10 Pro system the fonts in the RD window are so small that they are barely...
  5. How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    How to scale Remote Desktop on 4k monitor: I have a new 15.6" laptop and 27" external monitor. Both the laptop display and external monitor are 4k. So far the only app that does not scale properly is Remote Desktop. When I RD to another Win 10 Pro system the fonts in the RD window are so small that they are barely...
  6. Resolution & DPI scaling on 32inch monitor

Resolution & DPI scaling on 32inch monitor: I've got a 32inch monitor, using Windows10. I'm unable to reduce app size and content to less than 100% scaling. Apps are huge and take up lots of real estate on the screen but I am unable to make smaller. Windows 10 version does not let you adjust below 100% Unable to...
  7. Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Scaling Problems using 4K Monitor: I saw a great deal on a UHD monitor and grabbed it, completely unaware of the issues regarding scaling for programs, particularly older programs, in a 4k environment. (For those who also do not know: this is when a program opens and is so tiny on the screen you can't read...
  8. Gaming and Resolution with a 4K monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gaming and Resolution with a 4K monitor.: I installed a new 4K monitor and Age of Empires went so small I could even read the writing or easily see the buttons. I went into steam and fairly quickly got directed to a post that told me to go to launcher.exe and right click and select compatibility and tick the overide...
  9. Monitor Scaling and resolution

Monitor Scaling and resolution: I have a 2 monitor setup on windows 10. I have a 23.8 inch 1440p monitor, and a 31 inch 1080p television as my second monitor. In the windows display settings menu it assumes the 1080p tv is smaller than the 1440p monitor despite it being the opposite. Is there a way to input...
  10. Resolution and scaling for 15.6in Monitor

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Resolution and scaling for 15.6in Monitor: What scaling I should use for 4K display 3840 x 2160 on laptop with a 15.6in screen. I have tried 300% but the menu in lightroom and photoshop are too small to be readable. 73759