Windows 10: 4tb hardrive, can only partition 2tb. the other 2 are unable to be interacted with.

Discus and support 4tb hardrive, can only partition 2tb. the other 2 are unable to be interacted with. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am doing a clean install on everything right now. This is a problem that I noticed a long time ago, just never wanted to deal with it. My HDD all of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ArvisDren, May 22, 2023.

1. ArvisDren Win User

4tb hardrive, can only partition 2tb. the other 2 are unable to be interacted with.

I am doing a clean install on everything right now. This is a problem that I noticed a long time ago, just never wanted to deal with it. My HDD all of a sudden again a long time ago decided to not allow me to utilize the entire space that it had. I want to know how I can fix this because I want to utilize the rest of the HDD space that I have available. Even when I right-click, the only option that I can click on is the Properties and Help. Which isn't helping at this moment.

:)

ArvisDren, May 22, 2023
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive

Hi FoguWantsLiveMessengerBack

I am Dave, I will help you with this.

If that drive has an MBR partition style, you will not be able to use any more space on that drive, because 2TB is the maximum, that drive would need to be converted to a GPT partition style.

Windows cannot convert that drive without fata loss, there are some utilities available online that claim to be able to convert a drive from MBR to GPT without data loss.

To convert that drive using Windows, copy off any data on the drive temporarily to another location before you begin.

Then, open Command Prompt as administrator.

Run this command and hit Enter:

diskpart

list disk
    (Make note of the disk number you want to convert and enter it into the next command - replace X)

select disk X

clean

convert gpt

Then close Command Prompt, open Disk management and create a 4TB partition on the drive

DaveM121, May 22, 2023
  3. How to configure a single 4TB partition when installing windows 8.1

I tried to install Windows 8.0 on a single partition but the time the installation completed I verified that only 2TB was configured and don't know what happened to the balance of the 4TB hard drive. I believe I should be able run Windows 7/8/8.1/10 with
    a single 4TB partition. Can I just use a disk partitioning software to configure a single 4TB partition (total capacity of the drive) ?

Victor Mehta, May 22, 2023
  4. daveb47 Win User

4tb hardrive, can only partition 2tb. the other 2 are unable to be interacted with.

4tb Hard drives showing as 2tb

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (2009, 19042.985)

Version: 10.0.19042
    4tb hardrive, can only partition 2tb. the other 2 are unable to be interacted with. 337132d1623574724t-4tb-hard-drives-showing-2tb-part.jpg

I have 2 Seagate Barracuda drives that only show as 2tb.
    They are gpt.
    This is since using them in raid in nas.
    tried everything in this thread
    Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT
    Drives are F & G in screenshot,i have 2 other 4tb drives that are fine.

daveb47, May 22, 2023
Thema:

1. 4tb hardrive, can only partition 2tb. the other 2 are unable to be interacted with. - Similar Threads - 4tb hardrive partition

2. 4tb hardrive, can only partition 2tb. the other 2 are unable to be interacted with.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    4tb hardrive, can only partition 2tb. the other 2 are unable to be interacted with.: I am doing a clean install on everything right now. This is a problem that I noticed a long time ago, just never wanted to deal with it. My HDD all of a sudden again a long time ago decided to not allow me to utilize the entire space that it had. I want to know how I can fix...
  3. 4tb hardrive, can only partition 2tb. the other 2 are unable to be interacted with.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    4tb hardrive, can only partition 2tb. the other 2 are unable to be interacted with.: I am doing a clean install on everything right now. This is a problem that I noticed a long time ago, just never wanted to deal with it. My HDD all of a sudden again a long time ago decided to not allow me to utilize the entire space that it had. I want to know how I can fix...
  4. Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive: Hi!Somewhat recently i aquired a 4tb HDD and allocated half of it just fine but noticed that the other half wasn't included in the volume and when i tried to allocate it all the options were grey. I don't know what to do so please if any of you have had the issue before and...
  5. Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 unable to allocate 2tb in a 4tb hard drive: Hi!Somewhat recently i aquired a 4tb HDD and allocated half of it just fine but noticed that the other half wasn't included in the volume and when i tried to allocate it all the options were grey. I don't know what to do so please if any of you have had the issue before and...
  6. 4tb Hard drives showing as 2tb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    4tb Hard drives showing as 2tb: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (2009, 19042.985) Version: 10.0.19042 I have 2 Seagate Barracuda drives that only show as 2tb. They are gpt. This is since using them in raid in nas. tried everything in this thread Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT...
  7. 4tb hard drive only allows me to use 2tb

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    4tb hard drive only allows me to use 2tb: I got a 4tb Hdd and I think it said that a certain amount is for the system or something and I couldn’t use all 4tb, I could only use 2tb. Sorry I can’t provide more info but does anyone know why this might’ve happened or if this is normal. Is there anything wrong with...
  8. MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive

MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive: Hi there, I somehow managed to partition and format the attached (Disk 7) and both partitions and the HDD overall has been working for a few years now. I need to recreate it on Disk 6 and I can't remember how I did it. Anybody know how I did this?!?! TIA 154085
  9. MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive

in Windows 10 Support
    MBR HDD - 2 partitions to fill 4TB drive: Hi there, I somehow managed to partition and format the attached (Disk 7) and both partitions and the HDD overall has been working for a few years now. I need to recreate it on Disk 6 and I can't remember how I did it. Anybody know how I did this?!?! TIA 154085
  10. 4tb hdd only can use 1.5gb

4tb hdd only can use 1.5gb: My friend is going to be giving me his 4tb external hard drive tomorrow but the problem is that it can only hold about 1.5 gigs (if that) now before you say that it has incorrect memory listed I will say that I do hear mechanical parts moving around in it but what it sounds...