Windows 10: 5.1 Dolby Digital sound from non-video content.

Discus and support 5.1 Dolby Digital sound from non-video content. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've been pulling my hair out over this. I have a 5.1 surround system in my apartment (yes, my neighbors love me), and 5.1 surround will just not work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/joelk111, Apr 15, 2020.

1. 5.1 Dolby Digital sound from non-video content.

I've been pulling my hair out over this. I have a 5.1 surround system in my apartment (yes, my neighbors love me), and 5.1 surround will just not work with Forza Horizon 4 (a video game). Surround sound works great in Horizon 4 on my Xbox, and in my research I found others who played FH4 on PC with surround through headphones, so the game does support it. Surround sound works great with movies on my PC, as the app is able to take over the audio output and just do straight Bitstream out (from what I've gathered). I've done Google and Bing (gasp) searches for hours, I've followed Dolby's tutorial, etc, I haven't found anything that's fixed it.

My setup is as follows:

PC ----HDMI----> TV ----OpticalAudioCable----> Reciever

The TV is set to output 5.1 over digital. The exact same setup works, just with my Xbox swapped for the PC. The exact setup works with movies on my PC. Why doesn't it work in games? Is there some sort of program that will trick the PC into thinking it has surround sound, then convert that to Dolby Digital? I'm desperate, and no one else seems to have had this problem. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks much.

submitted by /u/joelk111
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/joelk111, Apr 15, 2020
  2. ROB
    Rob Win User

Sound Blaster Z - Dolby Digital surround sound cuts out

I have the same card, I think some clarification on what it does is needed:

You need to use Dolby Digital Live! encoder and the 5.1 speaker setting (not SPDIF) for it to ENCODE 5.1 In REALTIME and send it over it's SPDIF. This is only required for games that have realtime surround sound, it takes the audio from the 5.1 channels from the game and encodes it in real-time to Dolby Digital 5.1 (hence the name Live). The receiver/soundbar getting this signal will see it as Dolby Digital 5.1. A Dolby Digital 5.1 encoded stream can be sent over SPDIF's 2 channel bandwidth, so this is a lossy encode, compared to sending the audio uncompressed, which SPDIF can only do 2 channels of, so you would need to use HDMI, but it seems like your soundbar doesn't have HDMI so have to use SPDIF.

You do not need to use the Dolby Digital Live! encoder for things like Movies or TV shows that have Dolby Digital 5.1, these audio streams are PRE-ENCODED and can be sent over the SPDIF as is, the receiver/soundbar will see these as Dolby Digital 5.1.

Going back to the sound cutting out problem, I just switched computers and am getting this issue too, not sure what it is, didnt happen on my old machine, but yes, switching the encoder to none and then back to Dolby Digital Live! fixes the issue. I will try the fix listed in this thread though.

But why do you need 5.1 for your soundbar, it doesn't actually have the rest of the speakers for surround? You could probably pass it 2 channel stereo and it would sound similar.

3. ITGuy56 Win User
    Dolby Digital Plus disabled after Windows 10 Upgrade

So i´ve just installed the new upgrade of Windows the Windows 10 and i just wanted to make my audio expirience a little bit comfortable and good, so i decided to make some configurations in the Dolby Digital Plus software (for those who have Dolby in their laptops) and i was surprised cause it disappeared and i couldn´t run the software so i decided to solve my problem and checked every forum and couldn´t find a solution so i did it!
    So if you have the same problem as my, follow the next instruccions:
    1.- open your divice administrator
    2.- choose "Sound, video and game controllers"
    3.- choose your sound driver and make right click in your driver
    4.- click on upgrade driver and wait untill its been download and installed
    5.- reset your computer
    With this simple steps you could be able to open your Dolby Digital Software

ITGuy56, Apr 15, 2020
  4. 5.1 Dolby Digital sound from non-video content.

Nokia Belle FP1 and Dolby Digital Plus!

Dolby Headphone / Dolby Digital Plus functionality provide an enhanced audio experience when using headphones. For content that has been encoded with Dolby Digital Plus audio, playback is transformed into a personal surround sound experience.

The difference is very noticeable and for most listeners will count as a very significant improvement (especially when watching movies). However, the software tricks used to achieve the effect may not appeal to audio purists. Dolby-encoded content can be
    downloaded through the
    Nokia Trailers
    application and, in due course, via the third party
    Voddler
    video-on-demand service.

From www.allaboutsymbian.com

Ztuka---01, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

5.1 Dolby Digital sound from non-video content.

1. 5.1 Dolby Digital sound from non-video content. - Similar Threads - Dolby Digital sound

2. Dolby Digital Plus!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dolby Digital Plus!: Hi again. over the years when I have done a big update like changing the version or reinstalling Windows 10, it kicks Dolby out saying not compatible with this version of Windows. Actually it was still there this time so I removed it myself. Having said that it still shows in...
  3. Dolby Digital Plus!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dolby Digital Plus!: Hi again. over the years when I have done a big update like changing the version or reinstalling Windows 10, it kicks Dolby out saying not compatible with this version of Windows. Actually it was still there this time so I removed it myself. Having said that it still shows in...
  4. Dolby digital plus!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dolby digital plus!: I never really know the best settings for Dolby digital plus. I do a lot of voice videos using my web cam and mike. When I play the recordings back, they seem nice and clear but on the low side volume wise. This is with Dolby set to "voice", if I change to "music" setting,...
  5. Dolby Digital Plus !

Dolby Digital Plus !: Although Dolby Digital plus seems to be turned on I can't seem to get into settings anymore ! Also every time there is a "new version of Windows 10" it is removed ! I normally have to reinstall it again ! Is there anything better than this version and free ! My sound seems...
  6. Dolby Digital Plus !

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dolby Digital Plus !: Although Dolby Digital plus seems to be turned on I can't seem to get into settings anymore ! Also every time there is a "new version of Windows 10" it is removed ! I normally have to reinstall it again ! Is there anything better than this version and free ! My sound seems...
  7. Dolby Digital Plus

Dolby Digital Plus: Microsoft installed Dolby Digital Plus What is it? Any button I click, nothing happens on my BT headset's sound. Is it no functional beta software from Dolby Microsoft or both?...
  8. Dolby Digital plus

Dolby Digital plus: Can someone help ? I have downloaded the Windows 10 May 2020 update today. Each time I do the Autumn and Spring updates I get the same message "Dolby Digital Plus not compatible with Windows 10 and uninstalled ! The actual programme is still on my laptop but I still get...
  9. Dolby digital plus.

Dolby digital plus.: My computer used to work with dolby digital plus and it's been a while since it doesn't work. It's running through conexant smartaudio and I'm trying to find a way to get Dolbydigitl plus to work again. I've tried to repair it but I get this. [ATTACH]...
  10. Dolby Digital Plus

Dolby Digital Plus: Dolby Digital Plus isn't saving my setting, so every time I boot I have to set it back to Music. it used to be fine, but since a reinstall of the program it always defaults back to voice. anyway to get it to stop defaulting back to voice at boot up. anyone know the reg...