Windows 10: 5 ghz network takes forever to connect

Discus and support 5 ghz network takes forever to connect in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; my 2.4 ghz connection would connect instantly when i boot my computer... but it takes about 5 minutes for windows to connect to my 5ghz connection...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by todd24, Sep 12, 2016.

1. todd24 Win User

5 ghz network takes forever to connect

my 2.4 ghz connection would connect instantly when i boot my computer... but it takes about 5 minutes for windows to connect to my 5ghz connection... whats causing it?

i checked and the 5ghz connection doesnt show up on the list of wireless connections for the first five minutes after booting my computer... also it seems windows has made two types of connections, one is called Wi-Fi and the other one is called Wi-Fi3... what gives?

:)

todd24, Sep 12, 2016

2. Lumia 950 can't detect 5 Ghz WIFI

Hi

I had the same issue that my Lumia 950 could not see 5 GHz wifi network.

Found out that Lumia could not connect to 5 GHz wifi with higher 5 GHz Channels. My router had channel 157 as default.

Changed wifi settings of 5 GHz network to use Channel 36 and it works now.

Petr Řádek, Sep 12, 2016
  3. Sooner_Al Win User
    Lumina 520 & ASUS RT-N66R 802.11n network?

I recently purchased a Lumina 520 from AT&T...

Setting up a WiFi connection to my local home wireless network was a breeze except for the fact the Lumina 520 does not see the 5 GHz band WiFi network on the ASUS RT-N66R router. It does see and connect to the 2.4 GHz band just fine. Also note the Lumina
    520 connects to every other WiFi network I have tried, although I really have no idea if any of them have been running in the 5 GHz band.

In my case I have a separate SSID for the 5 GHz band and the 2.4 GHz band so I know which one I am connected to or trying to connect to.

My Windows 8.1 laptop and iPad 4 see and connect to the 5 GHz band without issue.

The network SSID is being broadcast so that is not the issue.

Is the Lumina 520 limited to the 2.4 GHz 802.11n only?

...if not then...

Is the Lumina 520 limited to a specific 5GHz band channel?

...otherwise...

Has anyone seen a similar situation and if so any clues on how to get the Lumina 520 to see and connect to the 5 GHz band on the router?

Thanks...

Sooner_Al, Sep 12, 2016
  4. brummyfan Win User

Hi,
    It happened to me as well, to rectify this I have gone to Device Manager, Properties and changed "Preferred Band" to No preference in Advanced tab.

5 ghz network takes forever to connect [​IMG]

brummyfan, Sep 12, 2016
  5. todd24 Win User
    hello

i just went into device manager and set preferred band to no preference.. but it still takes a few minutes for windows to connect to my wireless 5ghz network

todd24, Sep 12, 2016
  6. Haxcid Win User
    Make sure you are running the latest drivers. Especially if you have an intel wireless adapter. Get the latest from intel directly. They release driver constantly for WIFI to fix these issues.

Haxcid, Sep 12, 2016
  7. todd24 Win User
    its a TP-LINK archer t9e wireless networks card, the signal strength is about 78% (rated excellent by the tp link software) the modem is a netgear ac1600... my computer is about 3 feet away from the modem... i have the latest drivers....

todd24, Sep 13, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

I have connection that is really good (0.5 Gb/s - upgrading to 1 Gb/s later this year - Isl. is a small country but has superb internet -- really miss it when I'm back in the UK and have to use things like BT (Bovine Scatology) Telecomm for a piddly 12 mb/s !!!!!.

Try changing channel width to WIDE / 40 MHZ / upper (depends on your Menu) and selecting different set of channels and alter the lease times on your DHCP server / Router / Cable box.

You might also be getting a lot of things like mobiles trying to connect or just scanning - I'm surprised the 5GHZ is not working for you though.

Check also router is in ac mode as I think the old "n" protocol can also connect to 5GHZ. (not sure about that but check it anyway).

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 13, 2016
  9. Adalwar Win User
    Did you try to move the Modem further away from PC, say around 10feet?

Adalwar, Sep 13, 2016
  10. todd24 Win User
    how do i do this?

yes... doesnt solve the problem

todd24, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 5 ghz network takes forever to connect - Similar Threads - ghz network takes

2. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  3. Taking forever

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taking forever: I am the owner of an Acer Nitro 5 which meets what is needed to upgrade to windows 11. For the past 2 weeks I have been checking on the update and security and all I get are update for defender and so on but i have not been able to get the upgrade. And yes I did to the health...
  4. Ethernet connection appearing as 5 GHz

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet connection appearing as 5 GHz: My ethernet connection suddenly appeared as being a 5 GHz connection after a windows update and does not work. I am able to use WiFi but not ethernet. I know it is not the cable as it works on other devices. Any help would be greatly appreciated....
  5. Cannot connect to 5 GHz

Cannot connect to 5 GHz: I have a HP Probook 4530s with Windows 10 installed and I am trying to get a connection to 5 GHz. The adapter I have Realtek 8812U is dual band so it should support this but I have no option under the properties tab, only 2.4. I have checked on the command prompt and I...
  6. WiFi 5 ghz connection issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WiFi 5 ghz connection issue: My laptop doesn’t want to connect to 5 GHZ network. I run Dell Inspiron 3521laptop with Windows 10 and a DW WLan card. It can only connect to 2.4 GHz...
  7. Looking for my 5 GHZ wifi network

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Looking for my 5 GHZ wifi network: Time ago, at the very start of my contract with my wifi network. I could choose from my 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ wifi easily from my computer (Windows 10) and my phone (7s) everything was good and I used to be connected all the time to 2.4 GHZ wifi. Nowadays I'm trying to connect to...
  8. WiFi Connection 5 ghz problem--

WiFi Connection 5 ghz problem--: my Dell Inspiron 3521 computer running Windows 10 with a DW WLan card does not connect to my 5 GHZ network. It connects to my 2.4 GHz and does not show my 5GHZ....
  9. WiFi takes forever to connect, then Network crashes

WiFi takes forever to connect, then Network crashes: I recently updated to windows 10, after which my WiFi is not working... Before update it was working just fine. Now when I try to connect to a network, it says connecting, then the network and sharing centre just hangs. #Image_2 it shows this even if i remove usb wifi...
  10. How to switch WiFi network to 5 GHz?

How to switch WiFi network to 5 GHz?: Could you help me to switch WiFi Network from 2.4 to 5 GHz? I want to use ChromeCast. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/how-to-switch-wifi-network-to-5-ghz/7201f305-1712-456f-a75e-3b5f2a187fee