Windows 10: 5-minute boot time

Discus and support 5-minute boot time in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; A month or two ago Windows 10 Home suddenly started taking 5 minutes to start up. It used to take a minute. Details: No performance issues after boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Kevrjp, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Kevrjp Win User

5-minute boot time

A month or two ago Windows 10 Home suddenly started taking 5 minutes to start up. It used to take a minute.
    Details:
    No performance issues after boot
    Most of the boot time is during "Welcome" screen
    2 languages installed - English and Japanese, OS is English

CPU Pentium i5 3.2GHz
    8GB RAM recently upgraded, but no issues after installation
    Currently 135GB free on C partition of 400GB 1TB total HDD
    Windows and drivers up to date
    Windows Defender active, up to date and full scan done

Scanned with Malwarebytes
    Scanned with UnHackMe

I have done clean boot, safe mode boot, with no difference

I have disabled all apps from startup
    I have stopped non-Microsoft services
    I regularly defrag, do disk cleanup
    I have tried quick start on and off
    I have reset BIOS to fail safe and also to optimum
    I have checked the HDD with the Windows tool and the manufacturer's tool Seagate though it's only about 3 years old
    I have tried SFC and Startup Repair - got the result "Cannot repair"

Is my only recourse to start uninstalling each application one by one, failing that recovery?

:)

Kevrjp, Dec 30, 2020
  2. Anak Win User

my son laptiop wifi disconnect after 5 minutes

• If you have an identical laptop try comparing the wifi and security settings of the one that does not disconnect with the one that does. If you find any differences change the settings of the one that does not work to the one that does.
    @Samuria : If you have any suggestions please reply.

3. miquo Win User
    why the 5 minutes break?

Hi all, I don’t know if this is a known matter and if there’s a solution.

Normal procedure for locking keypad and unlocking:

• I set "Security keyguard" and "Automatic keyguard" On to lock the phone,
    • I go to homescreen and wait 1 minute for it to be locked,
    • I press Unlock key (here it’s menu key) and * key (star key) then enter correct Security code 12345.
    • Phone is Unlocked.

Nothing’s easy then this. But what if I type wrong codes for a few times just as a test:

• I set "Security keyguard" and "Automatic keyguard" On to lock the phone,
    • I go to homescreen and wait 1 minute for it to lock,
    • I press unlock key and * key and enter random wrong codes for a few times (NOT 12345),
    • phone is still Locked due to wrong Security codes with message “Code error”. Good!
    • Now I press Unlock key and *key and this time I enter correct Security code 12345 then ok.
    • But Phone is still Locked with message “Code error”!!!! I retry entering correct Security code 12345 again with no luck.
    • what do I do? I waited 5 minutes and retried entering Security code 12345 again and OMG this time it’s Unlocked. Good.
    • to make sure of this, I repeated steps 1 to 7 and same matter.

Why does the phone lock itself completely on me for 5 minutes that's after a few Erroneous security code test attempts (maybe 3 or 5) even if after this I directly enter correct Code 12345 but it's still locked??

Is there any extra Security code in this case? how to let the phone accept the correct code before 5 minutes?

miquo, Dec 30, 2020
  4. ram93 Win User

5-minute boot time

laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Dec 30, 2020
Thema:

5-minute boot time

1. 5-minute boot time - Similar Threads - minute boot

2. Windows 10/11 hangs a fee minutes after booting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10/11 hangs a fee minutes after booting: Hello all, i recently built a PC for my nephew and it worked great for a fee months. Unfortunately the past week it has not been working at all due to a consistent “hanging” issue. Here is the usual sequence.PC boots fine to the sign in screen. Put in pin and get the desktop....
  3. Windows 10/11 hangs a fee minutes after booting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10/11 hangs a fee minutes after booting: Hello all, i recently built a PC for my nephew and it worked great for a fee months. Unfortunately the past week it has not been working at all due to a consistent “hanging” issue. Here is the usual sequence.PC boots fine to the sign in screen. Put in pin and get the desktop....
  4. Windows 11 boots up and after a couple of minutes while apps are automatically opening such...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 boots up and after a couple of minutes while apps are automatically opening such...: Okay so recently I've been having this problem where my Lenovo Laptop boots up and after a couple of minutes bsod's and after it's supposed to restart I just get a black screen with no other signs of life other than the power button and the fans spinning, I've noticed that I...
  5. Windows 11 boots up and after a couple of minutes while apps are automatically opening such...

Windows 11 boots up and after a couple of minutes while apps are automatically opening such...: Okay so recently I've been having this problem where my Lenovo Laptop boots up and after a couple of minutes bsod's and after it's supposed to restart I just get a black screen with no other signs of life other than the power button and the fans spinning, I've noticed that I...
  6. Gaming Laptop takes over 2 minutes to boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Gaming Laptop takes over 2 minutes to boot: Hello! So I have installed a few games on my laptop recently and it seems like it's taking way longer to boot like 2 minutes. I checked to make sure fast boot was enabled which it was and task manager doesn't have anything starting up. I restarted my laptop one day and it...
  7. Gaming Laptop takes over 2 minutes to boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gaming Laptop takes over 2 minutes to boot: Hello! So I have installed a few games on my laptop recently and it seems like it's taking way longer to boot like 2 minutes. I checked to make sure fast boot was enabled which it was and task manager doesn't have anything starting up. I restarted my laptop one day and it...
  8. Gaming Laptop takes over 2 minutes to boot

9. Windows Taskbar and Start Menu not working minutes after booting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Taskbar and Start Menu not working minutes after booting: Hello, dear Windows community, I have a bit of a weird one today. Since last week, whenever I boot my Asus UX331F Laptop that I bought roughly 5 years ago with Windows 11 Pro, everything works normal for a 3-5 min. I can click on items on the taskbar, use the start menu and...
  10. Windows Taskbar and Start Menu not working minutes after booting

Windows Taskbar and Start Menu not working minutes after booting: Hello, dear Windows community, I have a bit of a weird one today. Since last week, whenever I boot my Asus UX331F Laptop that I bought roughly 5 years ago with Windows 11 Pro, everything works normal for a 3-5 min. I can click on items on the taskbar, use the start menu and...