Windows 10: 5-sec Lag on Start Menu Search Results

Discus and support 5-sec Lag on Start Menu Search Results in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; But not all searches lag; only the results for system settings (control panel items/shortcuts) , along with file/folder searches. The only search terms... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by blksith0, Apr 30, 2017.

1. blksith0 Win User

5-sec Lag on Start Menu Search Results

But not all searches lag; only the results for system settings (control panel items/shortcuts) , along with file/folder searches. The only search terms that are instant like they should seems to be anything in shell5-sec Lag on Start Menu Search Results :programs + some other specials like the Downloads folder.

So can you help me do 2 things:
    1. Speed up the search of control panel/settings items
    2. Search files in My Documents, Downloads, etc; the common ones that were default in win7.

Search Term Search Result Time (seconds) "dow" Downloads folder (Programs) <1s "bluetooth" Control Panel items >5s "fire" Programs; Control Panel items <1s; >5s "Pictures" Control Panel items; not my Pictures >5s "file.docx" "Working on it..." inf

:)

blksith0, Apr 30, 2017
  2. dari04 Win User

Windows 10: after newest KB3081444 & KB3081441 updates Start menu, settings, task bar not working

hi,

similar problem here as well.

Start menu behaves oddly: when clicking on start button and navigating within the tiles/programs in it, Start menu freezes after ~5 secs. Search function does not work at all...

Taskbar and other features on taskbar (pinned programs etc.) work fine.

Tested this with users with MS accounts as well as a local user without MS account, same result (search function does not work at all, start menu works oddly).

Any suggestions?

thx!

dari04, Apr 30, 2017
  3. Windows 10: after newest KB3081444 & KB3081441 updates Start menu, settings, task bar not working

Did you try to write this command I mentioned in PowerShell?

Justinas Čėsna, Apr 30, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, how busy is your PC when you are doing the searches? And is your disk ok?

Please post a screenshot of your task manager when your PC is nominally idle, using the icon to the left of the video icon above your post.

Please download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot like this for all disks:

5-sec Lag on Start Menu Search Results [​IMG]

Do you mean items here are not found, that there are delays, or these cannot be added to Indexing Options?

Please also complete your specs including disk details (see mine for comparison). Thanks.

dalchina, Apr 30, 2017
  5. blksith0 Win User
    Wow you're right. I never noticed this CPU usage.

So it's coming from explorer.exe and what's interesting is that the high CPU continues for ~5 sec even after all the results show up immediately.

And everything checks out with my drive's S.M.A.R.T. info, but if there's something specific let me know and I'll pull it up.
    >The hard disk status is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up or data transfer errors.

blksith0, May 2, 2017
  6. blksith0 Win User
    edit: ran this: havent restarted yet, regarding issue 2

-----
    I don't know man. I have zero files show up, even if they exist in the common folders that used to be automatically searched (Documents & Downloads for instance). So, can you turn that feature on for me. lol plz

blksith0, May 2, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    Thanks. Good news on the disk, background CPU use is higher than I'd be happier with if your PC was meant to be idle at that time. (I'd like under 4% e.g. - depends what start-ups you have- some trivial programs generated the odd 0.5% e.g.)

Good that you've run the troubleshooter, which has fixed a couple of important things.

What I suggest now is that you check the correct locations are set in Indexing Options, and then try rebuilding your search index.

Leave Indexing Options open for a bit, your PC idle, and see if the count increases.

Now, with your CPU use a bit high, the question is whether indexing will actually start. Indexing backs off (stops) if your PC is 'in use' - and it doesn't have to be very much 'in use' for that to stop.

Also please post a screenshot of your task manager when your PC is nominally idle, organising the CPU column high to low by clicking on its tab, like this.

Do you have just the one drive? Is this a laptop, desktop or...?

dalchina, May 2, 2017
  8. blksith0 Win User

After turning on the Windows Search service, every symptom seems to be fixed.

blksith0, May 3, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Good. Question is, how did it get disabled?

dalchina, May 3, 2017
  10. blksith0 Win User
    Ha, it could be anything. The first thing I do is run OOSU10, then go in with WinAeroTweaker and UltimateWindowsTweaker.
    Microsoft has a lot of built-in troubleshooters now though. Good thing they laid off their debugging dept years ago.

blksith0, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 5-sec Lag on Start Menu Search Results - Similar Threads - sec Lag Start

2. windows start menu search web results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows start menu search web results: the start menu used to show web results which was very convinent for me but now it just shows this there is no web preview https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-menu-search-web-results/1222459b-be64-4bcd-9d2b-efcb3ff7638b
  3. windows start menu search web results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows start menu search web results: the start menu used to show web results which was very convinent for me but now it just shows this there is no web preview https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-start-menu-search-web-results/1222459b-be64-4bcd-9d2b-efcb3ff7638b
  4. Tweak start menu search results

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  5. Tweak start menu search results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tweak start menu search results: I use search constantly and keep my machine well indexed. Search generally works pretty well, but sometimes the results are very.. counter intuitive. For example, without fail, if I search "Desktop" the Best Match is always Remote Desktop Connection, rather than Desktop which...
  6. Broken icons in start menu search results

in Windows 10 Customization
    Broken icons in start menu search results: I noticed this started about a week ago, but it doesn't corelate with any kind of update or new software installation.When searching typing app names while in the start menu, all store apps that appear in results display a generic picture icon.However, the same apps have...
  7. Start Menu search isn't listing results...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu search isn't listing results...: [ATTACH] When I hit Winkey for Start Menu, I get the start menu and then type, bit it isn't listing results. The top result is hinted in the search box, but that's not exactly useful. I thought it just filtered out the dark gray start menu. Ideas?...
  8. Programs in Start menu not listed in search results

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs in Start menu not listed in search results: I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm still trying to get used to everything that's changed since 7. I'm used to being able to just hit the Windows key on my keyboard to bring up the Start menu, start typing the name of a program that I know has a shortcut in the start menu,...
  9. Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search

in Cortana
    Not getting web results in Search or Start Menu search: Hi; on some Windows 10 installations (and indeed, even on my other user account), I get web search results when I press the Start key on my keyboard and then type into the search box. For example, "32 F in C" will yield 0° C. This isn't happening on one of my accounts. As...
  10. Start Menu not showing search results for documents

in Cortana
    Start Menu not showing search results for documents: Whenever I search for a document using the Start Menu, there are no search results. Apps show up fine. If I actually go into Explorer and search in a storage device's directory, it will show. But just never in the Start Menu. It's really irritating. Why is this? I rebuilt...