Windows 10: 50 MB system reserved partition on second drive after clean Windows install

Discus and support 50 MB system reserved partition on second drive after clean Windows install in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've installed Windows 10 on my SSD and when I tried to partition my other disk I've noticed that there's another partition here. This didn't happen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/glof2, Mar 19, 2021.

1. /u/glof2 Win User

50 MB system reserved partition on second drive after clean Windows install

I've installed Windows 10 on my SSD and when I tried to partition my other disk I've noticed that there's another partition here. This didn't happen any other time I was installing Windows 10 and I'm wondering if I'm fine to leave it as is or if I should do something about it.

Disk management screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/lo4wMFE

I googled about it and the only solutions I found was to either download 3rd party software or to reinstall Windows with only 1 drive plugged in, but before I try these I thought I'd ask for advice here

submitted by /u/glof2
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/glof2, Mar 19, 2021
  2. Pauli O Win User

Clean Windows Installation created a very small System Reserve Partition

"Like I mentioned before, In the past Windows Installation disc would create a System Reserved Partition of at least 575 Mbytes until this last clean Windows installation"

That old 500 MB System Reserved partition may have from time when there wasn't separate Recovery partition at the end of the disk. According to Microsoft support site partition layouts of v2004 are close to what MS
    has recommend to manufacturers to be used, only exception (bug) is this 50 MB System Reserved partition.

When I did clean install of v2004 on (all 5-6 system, BIOS and UEFI) I use instructions and diskpart scripts on this MS support site to get those recommended disk layouts.

Hard Drives and Partitions

Pauli O, Mar 19, 2021
  3. No System Reserved Partition After Free Upgrade and Clean Install of Windows 10 Pro x64

This is my second reply to Mr Wilson_13's reply. Mr Wilson_13's answer did no answer my question. For both upgrades I did a clean install and formatted the system partition. So there was no existing system partition in either case. The two existing Widows
    7 partitions were about the same size and neither had a recovery partition. I formatted the system partition for both clean installs.

The only differences were:

1) The first upgrade was done in October 2015 and the second one was done in June 2016.

2) For the first upgrade Microsoft required that Windows 7 first be upgraded to Windows 10 so that Windows 10 could be authorized and a product key could be obtained.

3) For the second upgrade I was allowed to skip the Windows 7 upgrade step and complete the clean install of Windows 10 and upgrade in a single step. I'm happy for that.

The differences after both clean installs were completed are as follows:

1) For the first clean install, two partitions were created: A 500 MB System Reserve Partition (C50 MB system reserved partition on second drive after clean Windows install :) and and a System Partition (J50 MB system reserved partition on second drive after clean Windows install :). Both partitions fit in the space formatted for the system partition.

2) For the second clean install, a single System Partition (C50 MB system reserved partition on second drive after clean Windows install :) was created.

My questions:

1) Do I need the System Reserve Partition created with the first clean install? If so how is it used?

2) Should I add a System Reserve Partition for the second clean install? If so how do I do that?

3) If the System Reserve Partition created with the first clean install is not needed, can I delete it and change the drive letter for the system partition from (J50 MB system reserved partition on second drive after clean Windows install :) to (C50 MB system reserved partition on second drive after clean Windows install :)? My concern here is that, programs installed on that system drive may use drive
    letters for navigation. If they do, I don't want to change the drive letter because I've got days invested installing other software on the system since the clean install and I don't want to do that again.

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Mar 19, 2021
  4. Pauli O Win User

System reserved file size 50 MB only

This 50 MB system reserved partition in MBR disk is by design in Windows 10 v2004 when default partition layouts are changed to match better for MS recommendations for manufacturers.

BIOS/MBR-based hard drive partitions

Recovery partition is located next after partition C: so that if some future update required more space on that partition then installer can automatic shrink C: to get more space for recovery partition.

UEFI/GPT disk has also hidden 16 MB System reserved partition (Partition 2) which is not shown in Disk management.

These are default disk layouts for BIOS/MBR and UEFI/GPT on Windows v2004 after clean install.

50 MB system reserved partition on second drive after clean Windows install d2526cef-cc57-42fd-8d91-a6a375bc1963?upload=true.png

Pauli O, Mar 19, 2021
Thema:

1. 50 MB system reserved partition on second drive after clean Windows install - Similar Threads - system reserved partition

2. Why is there a 50 mb System Reserved Partition? Can I delete it?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is there a 50 mb System Reserved Partition? Can I delete it?: I was using Legacy BIOS on MBR disk and to change it to UEFI I converted my disk to GPT using Windows command prompt.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-an-existing-windows-10-installation-from/aa8c2de3-460b-4a8c-b30b-641405f800d7After the process...
  3. Why is there a 50 mb System Reserved Partition? Can I delete it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is there a 50 mb System Reserved Partition? Can I delete it?: I was using Legacy BIOS on MBR disk and to change it to UEFI I converted my disk to GPT using Windows command prompt.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-an-existing-windows-10-installation-from/aa8c2de3-460b-4a8c-b30b-641405f800d7After the process...
  4. Why is there a 50 mb System Reserved Partition? Can I delete it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. System reserved partition only 50 mb and no recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System reserved partition only 50 mb and no recovery partition?: I did a fresh install of windows 10 2004. The when I viewed my partitioning system using EaseUs Partition Master, it only showed me system reserved partition50 mb, then another driveletter: E, then C drive, then the rest of the unallocated space in the that same order. Then I...
  6. Clean Windows 10 Install and System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Windows 10 Install and System Reserved Partition: Hi, I have a laptop that needs Windows 10 reinstalling on it, as it has some errors on it. The laptop was previously a Windows 7 unit but worked OK on Windows 10 for a while. My question is this: The laptop has a legacy System Reserved partition on it, which I assume is...
  7. System reserved file size 50 MB only

System reserved file size 50 MB only: Dear Microsoft community Today I clean installed windows 10 from USB on my hp probook. As a result, the system reserved drive created was only 50 MB. On the contrary, every where it says that it should be 550 MB. What is the problem and how to fix it? Looking forward for...
  8. Clean Windows Installation created a very small System Reserve Partition

Clean Windows Installation created a very small System Reserve Partition: I needed to do a Clean Windows installation. I used a Windows Install disc which I burnt from Windows.ISO file created by MS Creator's Tool. The reason why was because I kept getting BOOTMSG error BOOTMSG IS CORRUPTED. SYSTEM CAN NOT BOOT when booting up with both my C:...
  9. Doing a Clean Install, Should I reserve the 350 MB Partition?

Doing a Clean Install, Should I reserve the 350 MB Partition?: Hi Tomorrow I am planning to do a Clean Install, which I have done a number of times using other operating systems. I normally go for using One partition, which in this case is the whole 500gb But having been having a read of the Clean Installation Instructions, I...
  10. Clean install of 1703 - no system reserved partition created?!?

Clean install of 1703 - no system reserved partition created?!?: Hi Guys, I don't think this is a big issue, rather an oddity?... I've just performed a clean install of Win 10 Pro 64-bit 1703 on a new PC. Single hard-disk, newlly partitioned as follows: Partition 1: 40GB, set to "Primary, Active) - This is where Windows was...