Windows 10: 5856 _patchlink????.cab files in root of C:

Discus and support 5856 _patchlink????.cab files in root of C: in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Has anyone else seen anything like this? It looks like it has something to do with updates, but why didn't Microsoft clean up after itself? Bob... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RobertHelm1, Nov 8, 2018.

1. RobertHelm1 Win User

5856 _patchlink????.cab files in root of C:

Has anyone else seen anything like this? It looks like it has something to do with updates, but why didn't Microsoft clean up after itself?

Bob

:)

RobertHelm1, Nov 8, 2018
  2. fussybob Win User

Can't save file in C:\ root directory

I want to save files in my C:\ root directory of my boot drive and get an error that "Required privilege is not held by the client". I am the sole user/administrator of this system. I went into C:, properties, security, and enabled permissions for everything and everyone.

I can make/delete new folders in the C: drive, and save/delete files in those folders.
    My Win 10 system works just fine, except for me to save a file in the C; root directory

I can save files from apps to the C:\, and if I save the same file again, it tells me it exists and if I want to overwrite it, so it is indeed saved to the root directory.

In windows explorer I can't see those saved files in the root directory.

Any suggestions?

fussybob, Nov 8, 2018
  3. beerus_king Win User
    installing a cab file

so basically the instructions on this page is erroneous or outdated

How to Install Cumulative updates CAB Files on Windows 10

• Download the CAB Files x86 / X64 depending upon the OS architecture
    • Rename file to KBnumber.сab (for example KB3176931.Cab)
    • Copy to folder C:\
    • Run command-prompt as admin (Right click on Windows icon and choose option). Check the image above.
    • Enter the command “DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:\KBnumber.cab
    • This installs the CU CAB File. Check the screenshots below for example.
    • Your devices will restart once the installation is over. Else you may need to restart your PC

this is the first page for google search.

I already tried NOT naming the file. I used the original name. still not found

beerus_king, Nov 8, 2018
  4. samsungjack Win User

installing .cab files

just got a samsung jack with windows mobile 6.1

using vista and WMDC

I have no problem coping .cab to my docs folder on phone, but when i go to the file location on the phone, the .cab do not appear

any suggestions?

samsungjack, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

1. 5856 _patchlink????.cab files in root of C: - Similar Threads - 5856 _patchlink cab

2. Allow write access to C:/ root

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Allow write access to C:/ root: Even though I am administrator on my PC, I do not have write access to C:/. (Win 10 Pro) Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know of a fix? Thanks 10905
  3. Still Cannot Access Root Drive ( C:\ )

Still Cannot Access Root Drive ( C:\ ): I need to copy a file into my Windows 10 root drive (C:\). I cannot and get Error 0x80070522. - Found a tool which I really don't want to use since it is for folders and sub-folders. - Turned off User Account Control setting is set to the lowest. - I don't have HomeUsers...
  4. So is C: root unavailable per default?

So is C: root unavailable per default?: I just came across an error regarding use rights in the root of C:, I can not place files there. I can create a folder and place files inside the folder, but not in root. Is this to be expected? I got error 0x80070522 when trying and found this older thread about it:...
  5. Adding a file to the root of C drive. Will this cause problems ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Adding a file to the root of C drive. Will this cause problems ?: This is a bit of an odd one. I use a program that calls up data from a text file. This means I have many copies of the same file scattered in various project folders which is messy for a variety of reasons, not least having dozens of the same file exist. Placing the...
  6. Can't save to c: root

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't save to c: root: Get error message when I try to save a document or picture on c:\ 'A required privilege is not held by client.' Is there a way to fix this? Thank you. 14643
  7. How to get rights to copy to Root of C:

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get rights to copy to Root of C:: In order to effect a repair using DISM.EXE on Windows 10, the instructions tell me I must copy a file (install.wim) from my setup disk to the root of C: on my computer. However, despite the fact that I am logged in as the administrator and the "properties"of C:\ show that I...
  8. {} Files in Windows Root Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    {} Files in Windows Root Folder: I have about 100 files that start with the { character and end with the } character. Inside these two characters are a series of numbers and letters. The file sizes vary from 2-3K. Some of the earliest files are from 2012 and were from prior Windows operating systems. This...
  9. $xxx Folders in Root of C:

in Windows 10 Support
    $xxx Folders in Root of C:: I was under the impression that these folders would go away or can be deleted, BUT !! Has been some time from 1511 build was installed. C:\ $Windows -W " - BT C:\ $sysreset Still have .log and .xml from 12/26/2015 in them ( not the date of the last Windows Update) I...
  10. Can't save file in C:\ root directory

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't save file in C:\ root directory: I want to save files in my C:\ root directory of my boot drive and get an error that "Required privilege is not held by the client". I am the sole user/administrator of this system. I went into C:, properties, security, and enabled permissions for everything and everyone....