Windows 10: 6 hour Feature update :-/

Discus and support 6 hour Feature update :-/ in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I booted my Win10 machine up and it ended up d/ling something it just called "feature upgrade to version 1709", no other details. took yonks to d/l,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by wolfie138, Feb 2, 2018.

1. wolfie138 Win User

6 hour Feature update :-/

I booted my Win10 machine up and it ended up d/ling something it just called "feature upgrade to version 1709", no other details. took yonks to d/l, hours to install, then about another hour to prepare then when i booted up again my lock screen is now showing a different picture, those effing tiles were back on my start menu etc etc. >:-(
    still no idea what the "upgrade" was, it won't tell me.

:)

wolfie138, Feb 2, 2018

2. Windows 10 updates

What was the name of the update? Generally feature upgrades take hours to Install, which are released every 6 months

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 2, 2018
  3. windows10 nNovember update stuck at 68% for ages

While updating windows 10 to build 1511 the iinstallation process is stuck at 68% (iinsalling features and drivers 85 %) for last 6 hours.

Updating i ballQ WQ149r from windows 10 pro first release to 1511

Himanshu Prakash, Feb 2, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

You have just been updated to The Fall Creators Update, windows 10 version 1709, as it told you it was gong to do. Run Winver to confirm, the latest version is 1709, os build 16299.214.

Bree, Feb 2, 2018
  5. wolfie138 Win User
    if it told me, i missed it. AVS told me there were updates available, i did a check and it was already downloading, just listed it as above.

wolfie138, Feb 2, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    No, you didn't miss it, in fact you quoted it above - what else did you think a 'Features Update to Windows 10, version 1709' could be?

What version did you have before? 1703? 1607? See what's new here...

What’s new in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Bree, Feb 2, 2018
  7. The update should not have taken 6 hours.*Wink

Josey Wales, Feb 2, 2018
  8. erpster4 Win User

unless OP is using a slow internet connection.

downloading feature updates to Win10 (not cumulative updates) require a fast internet connection - at least 10Mbps (time to start switching to faster internet providers if not using at least this kind of speed).
    it's barely impractical to download Win10 feature updates with a slow 3Mbps DSL connection, which will definitely take hours when using that kind of a slow connection.

erpster4, Feb 6, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    No, it's not that. In 1703 Microsoft introduced a new Unified Update Platform (UUP). This reduces the downloads by using, as far as possible, the existing system files. The first Features Update to 'benefit' from the UUP is the Fall Creators Update.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...YsUmAI03lDt.97
    Windows 10 Fall Creators Update phased rollout approach

While this certainly reduced the download size for those updating via windows update, it seems to have had the unfortunate side effect on a (very) few systems that the CPU time required to process these differential updates is far longer than any time saved in downloading. For those affected in this way updating can take 6, 12 or even 24 hours to finish successfully. Some reports here...
    How long for feature update to Windows 10 version 1709 install

Bree, Feb 6, 2018
  10. wolfie138 Win User
    as i think i said, the downlod didn't take 6 hours, the full download and install etc did.

wolfie138, Feb 7, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
    Depending on your download speed, the actual download shouldn't have taken more than 1-2 hours. It would have been about 3GB, so you can work that out for yourself.

You seem to have been one of the unlucky ones where your PC's particular hardware/software has led to an excessively long time processing and installing the update once downloaded. You are not alone....
    How long for feature update to Windows 10 version 1709 install

The good news is that however long it took, almost invariably the update was successful and error-free. Let's hope MS have learned lessons from this and improved the process before the next Feature Update.

In my case, I used the Media Creation Tool to download the install media and used that to manually update my machine. Not counting the download time, it took about 1-2 hours to install the update. Only Windows Update and the Update Assistant use the new 'differential download' feature, using the install media as I did downloads the full install media and bypasses the 'differential' processing that windows update would have employed.

Thema:

1. 6 hour Feature update :-/ - Similar Threads - hour Feature update

2. New PC with Bluescreens Every 6 Hours or so

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New PC with Bluescreens Every 6 Hours or so: I've recently built a new pc with some old parts and have been experiencing a lot of blue screens. I've tried troubleshooting to no avail and am here wondering what else I can do.The specs are as follows:Ryzen 5 7600xB650 Gaming X AX rev 1.3 on bios FB2x16 GB DDR5 T-Force...
  3. New PC with Bluescreens Every 6 Hours or so

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New PC with Bluescreens Every 6 Hours or so: I've recently built a new pc with some old parts and have been experiencing a lot of blue screens. I've tried troubleshooting to no avail and am here wondering what else I can do.The specs are as follows:Ryzen 5 7600xB650 Gaming X AX rev 1.3 on bios FB2x16 GB DDR5 T-Force...
  4. Scheduled tasks start 6 hours late

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Scheduled tasks start 6 hours late: Issue: Two scheduled tasks set to start at 11:30pm both started at 5:30am, the next morning. Looking for a reason why this might happen. Perhaps something related to time zones?Background:This is regarding the home version of W10.I have two scheduled tasks. FYI they make...
  5. Windows 10 resetting for 6 hours

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 resetting for 6 hours: Hi, I had downloaded Windows10 on my MacBook since last month. It work smoothly previous, but it suddenly resetting since this morning and it still keep loading now. Is it normal? How can I figure it out?...
  6. BSOD every 3-6 hours. afd.sys, nwifi.sys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    BSOD every 3-6 hours. afd.sys, nwifi.sys: Hello, My laptop has been recently having BSOD every 3-6 hours. Sometimes it's due to afd.sys, sometimes due to nwifi.sys. The link to recent minidump files is here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alap-vWK0mekiY9QNK6j-K-0cSvKrw?e=jCBX1o I've installed all latest drivers, but...
  7. Stuck on reestablishing at 12% for 6 hours

Stuck on reestablishing at 12% for 6 hours: Doing a factory reset on my laptop because i have to return it. It's restarting, but has been stuck on "reestablishing this PC 12%" for 6 hours. How do I get it to complete the reset?...
  8. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 (6)

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 (6): Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903 (6) Six Times trying! Last failed install attempt on ‎23-‎Sep-‎19 - 0x80070005 Stops at about 27% Could the problem be that windows 10 is not activated. Changed motherboard....
  9. Color Profiles Not Loading after installing Windows Feature Update on 6/6/2019

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Color Profiles Not Loading after installing Windows Feature Update on 6/6/2019: I am notifying the Community and Microsoft of a Video Card/Display Color Management issue that I have encountered on two of my computers after successful installation of the Feature Update to Windows 10, Version 1903 on June 6, 2019. I am running Windows Version 10 on two...
  10. Update hung at 30% for 6 hours

Update hung at 30% for 6 hours: My laptop was updating to the latest preview build today, and has hung at 30%. I had to go out and when I got back 6 hours later, it is still hung at 30%. Is there any chance that it will actually complete the installation if I just leave it overnight, or is this as far...