Windows 10: 6 Months before Support End, Microsoft brings DirectX 12 support to Windows 7

Discus and support 6 Months before Support End, Microsoft brings DirectX 12 support to Windows 7 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; When Microsoft announced DirectX 12 in 2014, it did not reveal any compatibility information. The new version of DirectX was announced at a time when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Aug 26, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

6 Months before Support End, Microsoft brings DirectX 12 support to Windows 7

When Microsoft announced DirectX 12 in 2014, it did not reveal any compatibility information. The new version of DirectX was announced at a time when Windows 8 was the latest operating system; Windows 10 was released in 2015.

We assumed back then that Microsoft would limit DirectX artificially to Windows 8 or the upcoming version of Windows which we assumed would be Windows 9.

Microsoft revealed at the end of 2014 that Windows 10 would indeed ship with DirectX 12 support. Rumors suggested that the new version would not be made available to earlier versions of Windows, and a Microsoft support article confirmed that. Windows 7 systems were stuck with DirectX 11.0 and 11.1, Windows 8.1 with Direct X 11.1 and 11.2

Four years later, in early 2019, Microsoft suddenly announced that DirectX 12 support would be coming to select games on Windows 7. Game companies urged Microsoft to bring DirectX 12 to Windows 7 to make use of advanced capabilities and reduce development costs at the same time.

6 Months before Support End, Microsoft brings DirectX 12 support to Windows 7 directx-12-windows-7.jpg

Microsoft began to port the Direct3D 12 runtime as a response to Windows 7. Blizzard, maker of World of Warcraft and other games, was the first company to support a DirectX 12 game on Windows 7. World of Warcraft gamers could run the game using DirectX 12 to benefit from better framerates and other improvements.

Options to bring DirectX 12 games to Windows 7 devices were limited initially but work with several game studios -- none is mentioned in particular except Blizzard -- continued after the initial announcement.

Microsoft released a new development guidance in August 2019 to allow game developers to run their DirectX 12 games on Windows 7.

To better support game developers at larger scales, we are publishing the following resources to allow game developers to run their DirectX 12 games on Windows 7.

Developers can check out the Porting D3D12 games to Windows 7 guide to get started. The guide is divided into several chapters. It begins with a list of files and drivers that are needed to set up a development system and test machines. Other chapters reveal how to get DirectX 12 games up and ready on Windows 7 PCs, give optimization tips and release suggestions.

Closing Words

The big question that came to my mind immediately was "why now?". Windows 7 nears end of support; the operating system won't get updates anymore after the January 2020 patch day. While companies may extend support for up to three years, they are not the core target for gaming and it seems highly unlikely that many would benefit from the feature.

Windows 7 systems won't just go away in January 2020, however. If Windows XP's death is anything to go by, it could take years before use of the operating system drops below the ten percent mark. Game companies may continue to support Windows 7 because of that even after Windows 7 support ends officially.

I still think that the timing on this is really bad. It is clear that Microsoft wanted to encourage gamers to upgrade to Windows 10 by making DirectX 12 Windows 10 exclusive in the beginning: this did not work very well when Microsoft released Windows Vista and made DirectX 12 Vista exclusive. Gamers and companies ignored DirectX 10 for the most part as a consequence.

Now You: What is your take on this?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks/). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post 6 Months before Support End, Microsoft brings DirectX 12 support to Windows 7 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Aug 26, 2019
  2. pigulici Win User

IS Win 7 about to loose support in 6 months?

NO:
    - it is "End of mainstream support" +"
    The confusion here stems from Microsoft's maddeningly obtuse naming conventions. Leaving mainstream support only means that Windows 7 won't be receiving any new features or product tweaks, such as the forthcoming DirectX 12. Once a Windows desktop operating system leaves mainstream support, it enters the extended support phase—the very same support phase that Windows XP found itself in from early 2009 until its death earlier this year.

You'll still receive those oh-so-critical security patches during extended support, meaning that while Windows 7 won't be in active development beyond next January, it won't be tossed to the wolves of the Web, either. Hotfixes will still be provided, too, assuming they're security related. (Business can sign up for an extended hotfix support plan if your company wants hotfix support for non-security issues.) Extended support for Windows 7 lasts until January 14, 2020, and you can read Microsoft's Support Lifecycle for Windowsif you're still curious about how this works.

So, like I said: Don't panic. Windows 7 isn't being left for dead for a long, long time."

pigulici, Aug 26, 2019
  3. LukaRS Win User
    What happens to graphics cards that doesnt support directx 12

Well that's not answer its just list of graphics cards that support Directx 12,or did you wanted to say there will be no improvements on graphics cards that doesn't support Directx 12?

LukaRS, Aug 26, 2019
  4. 6 Months before Support End, Microsoft brings DirectX 12 support to Windows 7

IS Win 7 about to loose support in 6 months?

than how will get direct x 12? Im guessing by sepending more money like gpu or win? im still on 9 thats largly why i need a new comp sucks to know im missing out a lot compared to what the makers made.

sebastian869, Aug 26, 2019
Thema:

6 Months before Support End, Microsoft brings DirectX 12 support to Windows 7

1. 6 Months before Support End, Microsoft brings DirectX 12 support to Windows 7 - Similar Threads - Months before Support

2. Is DirectX 12 Ultimate supported by the GTX 1650?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is DirectX 12 Ultimate supported by the GTX 1650?: If supported how do I enable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-directx-12-ultimate-supported-by-the-gtx-1650/a75b0571-654a-4d74-b860-1bbf6c183ab9
  3. Microsoft sneaks Secure Boot support into Windows 7 shortly before support ends

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft sneaks Secure Boot support into Windows 7 shortly before support ends: Support for Extended Security Updates for Windows 7 is ending today officially. Microsoft will release a last cumulative update for Windows 7 on January 10, 2023 before the operating system is laid to rest. Users and organizations who run Windows 7 have a few options...
  4. Windows 7 and 8.1 support ends next month

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 7 and 8.1 support ends next month: Microsoft plans to end support for Windows 7 and 8.1 on January 10, 2022. The devices won't receive updates anymore after end of support and some programs, like Chrome or Microsoft Edge, won't receive updates anymore either immediately after support end. Some users may...
  5. Directx 12 not supported? What does it mean?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Directx 12 not supported? What does it mean?: So, what exactly does it mean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/directx-12-not-supported-what-does-it-mean/1f9e87e5-892a-4b9a-bc14-3a8d6ffb8757
  6. Directx 12 not supported? What does it mean?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Directx 12 not supported? What does it mean?: So, what exactly does it mean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/directx-12-not-supported-what-does-it-mean/1f9e87e5-892a-4b9a-bc14-3a8d6ffb8757
  7. Will my CPU support DirectX 11 or 12?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will my CPU support DirectX 11 or 12?: So I have an Intel Core i3 M 370 CPU. People said that it can run games up to DirectX 10.1. But I ran games which requires DirectX 11 and they worked. But I tried another game which required DX11 and it didn't work. I'm confused. So can someone explain to me why this is...
  8. directx 12 not supporting

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    directx 12 not supporting: Few days earlier i buy msi gtx 750ti 2gb gpu The box of GPU clearly shown that the card support direct x12 But when i run dxdiag command it shows direct x12 on system tab But under display tab it shows direct x11 Please see the attachment 57250
  9. Need a Video Card that supports DirectX 12

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Need a Video Card that supports DirectX 12: I am running Win10 Insider Preview! There is Pre Release 3D program. When it starts it checks to see if you computer can run the 3D program! Mine passes all the requirements except DirectX 12. I tried searching all video cards but none mentions if it supports DirectX...
  10. W10 / DirectX 12 / 3d support

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 / DirectX 12 / 3d support: Hi there When I run dxdiag via run on W10 (build 9926) (in a VM or as native) It shows 3d support and direct3d acceleration IS enabled even though VMware message says 3d support not available on the Host. W10 comes with DirectX 12 but I don't think it does anything yet....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. which directx version is in lumia 650