Windows 10: 64-bit architecture not recognized

Discus and support 64-bit architecture not recognized in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I recently upgraded my Windows 8.1 64-bit laptop to Windows 10 via a clean install. Windows 10 installed the 32-bit version, even though I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tridentone, Sep 30, 2015.

1. 64-bit architecture not recognized

Hello,

I recently upgraded my Windows 8.1 64-bit laptop to Windows 10 via a clean install. Windows 10 installed the 32-bit version, even though I downloaded the 64-bit version of the upgrade tool. I attempted to upgrade to the 64-bit version using the Windows Media Creation Tool. I downloaded the 32-bit tool and selected the 64-bit upgrade option. Then, I completed another clean install from a DVD. Windows 10 installed the 32-bit OS again.

I decided to revert back to Windows 8.1 64-bit via another clean install, but I received an error message at Getting files ready for installation: 13%. I have tried this multiple times with the same result.

Microsoft Tech Support hung up on me 45 minutes into our call after getting just about as far as I did. I have attached my CPU-Z report to this thread.

Please help!

:)

tridentone, Sep 30, 2015

2. windows 10 no longer activated

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I have just created a Windows USB bootable drive to try get it back to Windows 8.1 but in 64 bit architecture but now it won't recognize the product key I purchased! I can only presume that the purchase I made of Windows 8.1 in
    32 bit only works for that architecture, and does not count for a 64 bit version! So now I am going to have to buy the Windows 10 product key to activate my system!

BrendanViljoen, Sep 30, 2015
  3. Andre Da Costa, Sep 30, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

64-bit architecture not recognized

Did you select the 64 bit version when running Media Creation Tool? Just because it was the 64 bit version does not mean it will automatically download the 64 bit version of Windows 10. You need to choose that and I think the default is 32 bit.

Run it again and look. Make sure you select the right Edition nd Architecture.

64-bit architecture not recognized [​IMG]

Ztruker, Sep 30, 2015
  5. bobkn Win User
    The "bitness" of the MCT must match that of the OS it is run under. It has nothing to do with the bitness of the Win 10 upgrade that you download.

You have 3 choices of bitness for the download: 32 bit, 64 bit, or a single download that contains both. If you download the 64 bit version (only), there's no way that you can get a 32 bit installation.

If you want the free upgrade to activate, you have to install it as an upgrade over a qualifying OS (7 or 8.x). You can subsequently do a clean install, and it will activate on the same hardware. (The hardware hash that identifies the machine resides on Microsoft's activation servers.)

It's not possible that what you posted is exactly you did.

You could get the correct ISO from another source:

Tech Bench

Let me repeat: you have to install the free Win 10 upgrade over a qualifying OS to get it to activate.

I hope that you can find a way to re-install 8.1 so that you can do that. Too bad that you didn't image the 8.1 installation before proceeding with the OS upgrade.

Good luck

bobkn, Sep 30, 2015
  6. I thought I had made that mistake at first. I went back and re-downloaded the 32-bit tool and made sure that I chose the 64-bit upgrade. The installation completed, but I was left with the 32-bit version again.

tridentone, Sep 30, 2015
  7. I'm downloading the 64-bit ISO now. I'll burn it to a flash drive and attempt to install on my clean drive.

tridentone, Sep 30, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Setting aside the confusion in the bit level for a moment.... how do you do an "upgrade" via a "clean install"? It's either one or the other - an upgrade or a clean install, it can't be both. And to change bit levels it has to be a clean install. Now....if you do a clean install of Windows 10 before you do an in place upgrade, your Windows 10 will not activate, unless you purchase a unique product key for it.

NavyLCDR, Sep 30, 2015
  9. Sorry for the confusion. It was an upgrade originally. At the time of the upgrade, I was running Windows 8.1 64-bit. The upgrade gave me Windows 10 32-bit.

tridentone, Sep 30, 2015
  10. Mystere Win User
    That's not possible. You can't upgrade to a different "bitness", the OS is fundamentally structured differently, and it just won't work. The installer will tell you so.

Mystere, Sep 30, 2015
  11. I can tell you that it is possible because it has just happened to me. I'm not sure how or why. I was running Windows 8.1 64-bit, I upgraded to Windows 10, I now have a 32-bit OS that I cannot get rid of.

64-bit architecture not recognized [​IMG]

tridentone, Sep 30, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    What is possible is that you don't understand what happened. It is impossible to upgrade to a different architecture. PERIOD.

NavyLCDR, Sep 30, 2015
  13. 64-bit architecture not recognized

I like to think that I know a little bit about how my computer works. Can you explain why this is impossible? I know for a fact that I was running a 64-bit OS. I upgraded to Windows 10, and I now have a 32-bit OS.

Edit: I have two other machines that I successfully upgraded to Windows 10 64-bit without any issues, so I don't believe this is user error.

tridentone, Sep 30, 2015
  14. bobkn Win User
    To do an upgrade, you run the installer from the old OS. That's not possible if the installer is for a different architecture than the old OS. For the installation to be an upgrade, it must be run from within the old OS.

To install a different bitness, you'd have to boot from an installation medium (DVD, thumb drive), and run from that. You don't get an upgrade that way. I'm not sure that anything from the old OS could be carried over.

If you had a 64 bit OS and installed a 32 bit one, it was not installed as an upgrade.

To repeat: the free Win 10 upgrade won't activate unless it as run as an upgrade one time. After that, you can clean install, including switching architectures.

bobkn, Sep 30, 2015
  15. The clean install with the 64-bit ISO from your link worked perfectly. I have no clue what led to this problem, but I'm glad it's fixed. Thanks!

tridentone, Sep 30, 2015
Thema:

1. 64-bit architecture not recognized - Similar Threads - bit architecture recognized

2. Lenovo IdeaPad Bit Architecture

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lenovo IdeaPad Bit Architecture: Hi everyone,I recently ordered a Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 14, which can be found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/d/lenovo-ideapad-flex-81x1000nus-14-laptop/8t5mdd59gl1g?activetab=pivot:techspecstabI need it to run a program that works best on a 64-bit operating system, and I...
  3. Is thre a way to reveert back to 32 bit architecture from a 64 BIT

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is thre a way to reveert back to 32 bit architecture from a 64 BIT: i AM TRYING TO REVERT BACXK TO SYTEM 32BIT FROM 64 BIT INSTALLATION. i NEED TO DO THIS SO AS TO INSTALL A SCANNEER THAT ONLY WORKS ON THE 32 BIT ARCHTITECTURE....
  4. Playstation Executable not detecting 64-bit architecture

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Playstation Executable not detecting 64-bit architecture: Hi, I'm trying to install the PS4 remote play client on my Windows 10 PC. The issue is that the installer is failing, I suspect because when I attempt to run the RemotePlayInstaller.exe, it is unpacking this file: "RemotePlayInstaller_4.0.0.09240_Win32". I should be running...
  5. How to check Windows 10 OS architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) using PowerShell or Command Prompt

in Windows 10 News
    How to check Windows 10 OS architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) using PowerShell or Command Prompt: [ATTACH]When installing any software or operating system, the user will normally be prompted by the installer for 32-bit or 64-bit version. You can download and […] This article How to check Windows 10 OS architecture (32-bit or 64-bit) using PowerShell or Command Prompt...
  6. 64 bits

64 bits: How can I play older pc games on a 64 bit windows? None of them will load. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/64-bits/b1eedd07-2134-4b35-a533-c1ff77d64d10
  7. Unable to activate Windows 10 after upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit architecture

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to activate Windows 10 after upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit architecture: Hi all, The problem is that I cannot activate Windows 10 Home 64-bit operating system after a major hardware upgrade (including motherboard and processor) Old PC specs: 32-bit processor (AMD Athlon II) desktop Windows 7 preinstalled, subsequently upgraded to Windows 10...
  8. 32 bit to 64 bit

32 bit to 64 bit: can I upgrade my 32 bit to 64 bit plz help me I nwanna play fortnite https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/32-bit-to-64-bit/67efd3f2-6406-4c88-9aa7-667bf8b42650
  9. 64 BIT

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    64 BIT: how do i change to a 64 bit os https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/64-bit/841df499-3216-4aa0-b30c-6d666638c63a
  10. 64 bit to 32 bit

in Windows 10 Support
    64 bit to 32 bit: Have a Asus laptop with 64 bit system loaded win10 64 bit used 89% of ram contacted Asus unit not suitable for win 10 is there a way to run win10 32 bit on a 64 bit system as this should use less ram. . 39318