Windows 10: 64 bit only or 32 bit as well

Discus and support 64 bit only or 32 bit as well in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Anybody know if this (preview) version is 64 bit only or will a 32 bit version also be released. IMO I can't think of any machines made... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Sep 30, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

64 bit only or 32 bit as well

Hi there
    Anybody know if this (preview) version is 64 bit only or will a 32 bit version also be released.

IMO I can't think of any machines made recently that are 32 bit so it would make sense for Ms to kill off the 32 bit version -- of course though keeping 32 bit apps like Office working.

(Incidentally unless your machine is REALLY OLD you can actually run a 64 bit GUEST OS under VMware even on a 32 Bit HOST so killing off a 32 bit OS IMO would make sense).

I've run in the past Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit as a VM on a Windows XP host!!! of course the restriction is that GUEST + HOST together can only access up to 4GB RAM. Simply enable the VT virtualisation feature on older machines and your guest 64 bit os will work.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 30, 2014
  2. BulldogXX Win User

All Applications Run On 32 Bit, While My Computer Is 64 Bit

32-bit software cannot be made to run in some kind of '64-bit mode.'

32-bit software runs very well on 64-bit hardware. 64-bit software doesn't run 'better' than 32-bit software. Running 32-bit software on a 64-bit computer does not cause lag or freezing. For example, I have 32-bit Microsoft Office and it runs very well
    on my 64-bit computer.

BulldogXX, Sep 30, 2014
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    windows 10 64 bit

32-bit programs work perfectly well with a 64-bit processor. Most of the applications I have on my 64-bit computer are 32-bit applications, including Microsoft Office.

The number of bits refers to the amount of RAM that the processor is able to use. A 64-bit processor can use millions of gigabytes of RAM. A 32-bit processor can only use 4.

BulldogXX, Sep 30, 2014
  4. 64 bit only or 32 bit as well

Jimbo there will be a 32 bit download. Enterprise uses some older Intel CPU's that are not 64 bit compatible. Remember they said compatibility was their aim. Anything that works on 7 &8 will work on 10.

Indianatone, Sep 30, 2014
  5. I'm installing the x86 build right now, so definitely a 32-bit version.

Jody Thornton, Sep 30, 2014
  6. MrNeeds Win User
    Aww, Jimbo, It's not right when you haven't got Stone Cold Steve Austin as your avatar lol.

MrNeeds, Oct 1, 2014
  7. *Roflmao2

*Ditto

JDobbsy1987, Oct 1, 2014
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

some prob initially with avatars -- I'll have to see if I can dig it out again -- It's on an old XP machine so I'll have to find it and re-create the GIF file again. I tried copying from W7 Forum but didn't work so I'll re-create again from scratch.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 1, 2014
  9. MrNeeds Win User
    I don't think the site supports GIF avatars, can anyone confirm?

Edit, tried using your gif from 7 forums and it's too big lol

MrNeeds, Oct 1, 2014
  10. One for @z3r010 maybe

JDobbsy1987, Oct 1, 2014
  11. DocBrown Win User
    Mine works for avatar *Wink

DocBrown, Oct 2, 2014
  12. LMiller7 Win User
    I can see a number of reasons why a 32 bit version is still produced.

1. Most computers capable of running Windows 10 are also able to run the 64 bit version. But there are still substantial numbers that cannot. Some people owning such systems will be very vocal in their complaints.

2. Most 32 bit software will run with no problems on a 64 bit OS. But there are significant exceptions.

3. 16 bit software will not run at all on a 64 bit OS.

4. 64 bit operating systems require 64 bit drivers. For many older devices currently in use they do not exist.

Put all of that together and dropping the 32 bit version is considered more trouble than it is worth. But that won't last.
    It would make things much easier for Microsoft if they could go 64 bit only. Parallel development of 2 versions of the same OS requires a lot of extra resources. While 32 and 64 bit systems appear to be very similar on the surface internally they are VERY different.

LMiller7, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 64 bit only or 32 bit as well - Similar Threads - bit bit

2. how can i bypass bit locker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i bypass bit locker: i have a lenovo ideapad 3 and as soon as i turn it on it asks for bitlocker code which i do not have and it wont let me do anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-bypass-bit-locker/7745068d-6526-41a2-a3c2-de47920529a5
  3. how can i bypass bit locker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i bypass bit locker: i have a lenovo ideapad 3 and as soon as i turn it on it asks for bitlocker code which i do not have and it wont let me do anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-bypass-bit-locker/7745068d-6526-41a2-a3c2-de47920529a5
  4. why is my mouse cursor freezing a bit when hovering it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is my mouse cursor freezing a bit when hovering it: I have tried uninstalling mouse driver and tried to update it, changed mouse HZ, also tried to perform cmd commands like sfc /scannow, but it still doesn't work....
  5. why is my mouse cursor freezing a bit when hovering it

why is my mouse cursor freezing a bit when hovering it: I have tried uninstalling mouse driver and tried to update it, changed mouse HZ, also tried to perform cmd commands like sfc /scannow, but it still doesn't work....
  6. My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...: My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code 0x000000f also saying the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible. Can anyone help?...
  7. My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...

My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...: My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code 0x000000f also saying the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible. Can anyone help?...
  8. My windows 10 64 bit pc upgraded from win 7 will no longer boot up with the error code...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. i got my pc reset and now the font in browsers, file explorer looks a bit different

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i got my pc reset and now the font in browsers, file explorer looks a bit different: i got my pc reset by a repair shop for ram and other stuff and now microsoft edge, file explorer fonts look a bit different. here are some examples:-...
  10. i got my pc reset and now the font in browsers, file explorer looks a bit different

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i got my pc reset and now the font in browsers, file explorer looks a bit different: i got my pc reset by a repair shop for ram and other stuff and now microsoft edge, file explorer fonts look a bit different. here are some examples:-...