Windows 10: 64 bit Windows 10 on old laptop

Discus and support 64 bit Windows 10 on old laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi there, My dad has 2 old Dell Latitude E5500 laptops sitting around. Hes been using one of them for years and the other one has barely been used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by 007Nick700, Jun 8, 2019.

1. 64 bit Windows 10 on old laptop

Hi there,

My dad has 2 old Dell Latitude E5500 laptops sitting around. Hes been using one of them for years and the other one has barely been used and wants to switch over to that one because the other one is starting to fail.

So I'm dialing in the barely used one but I'm not sure as to what OS I should install. It was running 32 bit windows 7 professional before (clean install) and now I recently installed 64 bit Windows 10. It ran fine without any problems on Win7 but it's very sluggish on 64bit windows 10. As soon as I try to run anything the disk usage shoots up to 100% and the laptop halts to a crawl.

The specs on the laptop are:

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs (up to 2.66GHz)
    • RAM: 2GB 800MHz DDR2 RAM (upgradeable)
    • Storage: 7200RPM 160GB,

I have a 250Gb 5400RPM HDD collecting dust somewhere but storage isn't really an issue for my dad (laptop is only going to be used for browsing/youtube/office) so I feel this'll be a downgrade speed wise.

As both laptops are identical I plan to add the RAM from the old/used laptop into this one (to get 4Gb), but right now this isn't an option yet as that laptop is used untill I get this one dialed in.

So my question,

If I upgrade the ram to 4Gb DDR2, what do you think would be the best OS to run on this laptop speed wise?

-Windows 7 professional, even though support ends soon

-32 bit Windows 10

-64 bit Windows 10

Thanks in advance!

-Nick

:)

007Nick700, Jun 8, 2019

2. Windows 32 bits to 64 bits

Hi Kulbeer,

To upgrade from Windows 10 32-bit to Windows 10 64-bit, we suggest that you check and follow the steps/instructions provided by
    Andre Da Costa in his article.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Jun 8, 2019
  3. migrated from windows 10 64 bit to windows 7 bit

i am having laptop with WINDOWS 10, 64-bit operating system,

as one of my software PARADIGM C++ PRO is not working this platform,

so i want to change WINDOWS 10, 64-bit to WINDOWS 7 32 bit.

Please suggest that how i can change WINDOWS 10, 64 bit to WINDOWS 7 32 bit.

Regards,

sarita pandey

saritapandey216, Jun 8, 2019
  4. Naki Win User

64 bit Windows 10 on old laptop

GPU-Z update loop (Windows 10 64-bit)

I don't have better steps - this is all, I have nothing to add.

Maybe it is worth noting issue was on Windows 10 Enterprise, build 14393.187, so maybe you should test on the same.
    My other PCs have a different Windows 10 version - Pro, latest Insider Preview build from last week, and there is no such issue on those.
    All are 64-bit edition of Windows 10.

This issue is not new. I have had same 1-2 years ago too, with older GPU-Z versions.

EDIT: And yes, I have Windows 10 UAC enabled and set to defaults. If you are using your Windows PCs with UAC off, you likely cannot reproduce this issue. *Smile 64 bit Windows 10 on old laptop :)

Naki, Jun 8, 2019
Thema:

64 bit Windows 10 on old laptop

1. 64 bit Windows 10 on old laptop - Similar Threads - bit old laptop

2. Old laptop won't boot 64 bit windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Old laptop won't boot 64 bit windows: I have 2 windows versions of the hdd and the laptop tries to boot the 64 one and won't change to the other version when I press the use other operation system button submitted by /u/geizlodei [link] [comments]...
  3. Compatibility old games windows 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Compatibility old games windows 10 64 bit: I had to change my HD, now the old MS games that were able to run on Windows 10 do not work after reinstalling all the contents of damaged HD. Possibly due to latest windows update? I did run the compatibility test with the auto repair function to no avail. I just want to...
  4. Compatibility old games windows 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Compatibility old games windows 10 64 bit: I had to change my HD, now the old MS games that were able to run on Windows 10 do not work after reinstalling all the contents of damaged HD. Possibly due to latest windows update? I did run the compatibility test with the auto repair function to no avail. I just want to...
  5. Windows 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 64 bit: I cannot access my photographs from file explorer. When I try to download a profile photograph for Mecargi. It takes me to file explorer and the Photos program on my applications page is not accessible. When I open it through the apps page the pathway is Photos- it gives no...
  6. windows 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 64 bit: hello , I have P5G41T-MLX V2 xeon x 5460 4GB RAM , GTX 750 TI , I wont install windows 10 64 bit (I have 2 reason for this , 4 gb ram , and 64bit bassed processor , but when im trying to install windows 10 64 bit version , I just restart pc pres f8 (boot menu ) choose...
  7. Window 10 64 bit to 32 bit

Window 10 64 bit to 32 bit: I recently purchased a new hard drive, and I installed windows 10 64 bit on my laptop (Inspiron 15 3000 series) and after that the laptop started runnin slow, unable to use my technical drawing apps and my games. my RAM is 4GB and I want to install windows 10 32 bit but...
  8. windows 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows 10 64 bit: no audio output device installed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-64-bit/95fee463-b371-4f76-b620-1e7efb3d5673
  9. Old 32 bit software in Windows 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old 32 bit software in Windows 10 64 bit: I have a new home pc with pre-installed Windows 10 64 bit. My 5 year old daughter has some old children games that she loves to play. But, many of them refuse to install in Windows 10 with an error message saying they are 32 bit apps which cannot run on this pc and I should...
  10. Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit?

Windows 10 32-bit to 64-bit?: Yesterday I installed windows 10 with 32-bit operating system, but now I want to change the operating system to 64-bit. I want to know if I can reinstalled windows 10 with 64-bit operating system? 11557